I have graduated with a Master of Science (MSc) degree in Space Engineering with a dual specialization in orbital mechanics and bio-astronautics. I have a passion for space engineering with interests in satellite orbit modelling, space tourism and satellite navigation technology and would like to find myself in an entry level position in the commercial space industry.
Availability: January 2010
Position Desired: Entry Level
Willingness to travel: 50 - 75%
Relocation: Open to international relocation
Master of Science (Aerospace Engineering)
Graduated Dec 2009
University of Colorado – Boulder, U.S.A
Cumulative GPA: 3.912/4.0
Focus: Space Engineering
Dual Specialization: Orbital Mechanics & Bioastronautics
Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)
Graduated May 2007
University of Pune, India
First Class with Distinction
Student Project Manager (Human Spacecraft Design – Lunar Lander Concept)
Aug 2008 – May 2009
* Goal: Simulation of preliminary design stages (phase A/B) in a spacecraft design life-cycle with the preparation of a preliminary design review (PDR) presentation.
* Managed a team of ten students and oversaw the work of three sub-teams – Structures / ECLSS/ Sensors.
* Allocated project tasks and planned project time budget using the Microsoft Project software
* Conducted research study on the effects of orbital debris and micrometeoroid damage to orbiting spacecraft.
* Developed MATLAB simulation to estimate probability of impact protection offered by single plate and Whipple shields against meteoroid damage, as a member of the structures & modeling team.
* Performed systems engineering trade studies - Structural / Thermal / ECLSS / Sensors subsystems.
Statistical Orbit Determination Project (QUIKSCAT Leo Satellite)
Aug 2008 – Dec 2008
* Created MATLAB/C++ code to find the trajectory of a LEO satellite (QUIKSCAT) using tracking data – Nonlinear Dynamic System Modelling for satellite tracking.
* Carried out a study of various Attitude/Orbit Control (AOCS) and statistical orbit determination techniques.
* Created MATLAB/C++ code for navigation filter design – Batch Processor, Sequential filtering and Extended Kalman Filter (EKF).
Engineering Internship (Anant Enterprises Mfg. Pvt. Ltd. – Pune, India)
June 2009 –Aug 2009
* Assisted in the creation of drawings for various manufacturing components
* Created computer models and assemblies for components using Pro-Engineer Wildfire 3.0
* Projects: Outer Tube Casting for shock absorber, Tandem Master Cylinder, Non-Return Valve assembly,
Interplanetary Mission Design Project
Jan 2008 – May 2008
* Designed an interplanetary trajectory for a mission to Europa in the Jovian planetary system using a Venus – Earth – Earth Gravity Assist (VEEGA) maneuver.
* Created MATLAB simulation and Porkchop plots to find optimal launch trajectories with STK simulation.
Part-time Research Assistant (Department of Aerospace Engineering)
Dec 2008 – Mar 2009
* Developed computer code to parse GPS receiver data for position error analysis.
* Performed a trade study and statistical analysis to compare relative strengths of data sets – only GPS vs. GPS+GLONASS performance using live observation data sets collected in downtown Denver.
Spacecraft Design Group Project
Jan 2008 – May 2008
* Responsible for designing spacecraft mission scenario as the team’s mission designer.
* Carried out STK spacecraft mission simulation for proposed mission.
Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) Projects
Aug 2007 – Aug 2008
* Developed GNSS satellite visibility simulation in MATLAB and carried out satellite geometry analysis.
* Developed MATLAB code/simulation to simulate a GPS receiver to solve for a user’s position and compared position estimates for various corrections – Clock, Ionosphere, Troposphere and Relativity corrections.
* Developed a MATLAB simulation to study Pseudo Random Code (PRN) generation in GPS receivers.
* Carried out mobile and stationary data collection from a GARMIN 60 GPS Receiver to study the effects of variability and to test the repeatability of GPS measurements.
Mechanical Engineering Final Year Project
July 2006 – May 2007
* Goal: Design of rotary turn-table system for circular arc welding.
* Created 3D CAD models of design using CATIA v5 and AutoCAD software.
Mechanical Engineering Third Year Seminar
Jan 2006 – May 2006
* Presented technical seminar on the topic of ‘Space Shuttle Thermal Protection System’.
Programming: C, C++, MATLAB
Simulation: SPSS/MVPStats (Statistics), Satellite Tool Kit (STK) 8.0
Office Suite: Microsoft Project, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Designing: AutoCAD, Pro-Engineer Wildfire 3.0, CATIA V5
LEADERSHIP / VOLUNTEER
Volunteer (Prarambh: a student initiative to increase awareness of voting in the city)
May 2009 – Aug 2009
* Helped in organizing Prarambh and spreading awareness among students of various colleges
* Achieved a goal of getting 100 eligible voters to sign up with the government before the state elections
Teaching Assistant (Course: Dynamics and Systems)
Jan 2008 – May 2008
* Taught course concepts and aided in conducting lab lessons
* Prepared homework solution sets, grade lab reports and examinations
Student Event Coordinator (Annual College Event – ‘ELEMENTS ‘05’)
* Coordinated technical and entertainment events as member of the events planning committee
* Set up LAN-gaming Entertainment Zone as an effective crowd puller during event
AWARDS / CERTIFICATES
Certificate in PRO-Engineer Wildfire 3.0 from The Institution of Tool
Engineering – Pune (I.T.E), India June 2009 – Aug 2009
Certificate in C programming from SEED Infotech Pvt. Ltd., Pune, India Sept 2004
2nd Prize in essay writing competition organized by the Aeronautical Society of India (AeSI) Nov 2004
> 1st Prize in ‘Plane of the Future’ Art Contest organized by British Airways – Dubai, U.A.E 1999