|Quick Job Search
As part of fulfilling its role in providing expertise and support to ESA scientific missions in all phases of the mission, the Research and Scientific Support Department (RSSD) operates at ESTEC a UNIX-based (mainly Solaris but also including Linux and Mac OS X) computing environment to support its scientific and science operations activities. Part of this environment provides common services to RSSD while another part supports project activities (data archiving and science operations).
The RSSD network is located on an ESA external network; therefore network and host security are vital aspects to be considered.
The specific duties include:
· General system administration,
· Hardware and software installation,
· Installation and removal of user accounts as required.
· System upgrades, configuration management,
· Hardware maintenance (using existing external maintenance agreements).
· Software maintenance (including several scientific packages and commercial application software, in particular Livelink, webserver, php, mysql, oracle,LDAP),
· Software License management,
· Operator tasks (backup and recovery of data),
· Emergency services in case of breakdowns.
· Individual user advice and support,
· Inventory tracking,
· Backing up the Divisional Administrator when necessary (the Science Operations Computers are closely linked to the departmental infrastructure with common facilities such as mail, networking, data-storage and back-up).
Exceptionally, the contractors will be called upon to carry out duties out-of-hours, on weekends and public holidays (e.g. emergency repair or routing maintenance).
Specific qualification requirements:
· University degree in computing or software engineering, or equivalent,
· Several years of experience in Solaris system management,
· Thorough knowledge of UNIX (Solaris, Linux, Mac OS X) systems,
· Experience and thorough knowledge of Solaris-based application software, such as mail server, web server, directory server, document management systems, MySQL and Oracle,
· Experience in supporting scientific software (commercial and public domain, e.g. TeTeX, IRAF, MIDAS, IDL, Matlab, etc)
· Experience in backup and data archiving facilities,
· Experience of providing support to end-users.
Experience in interacting with the science community would be an advantage. The selected contractors must be willing operate in a team environment and to travel. Good interpersonal and communication skills are an advantage. The contractors should be comfortable in an international working environment and be fluent in English, one of the official languages of ESA.