CV: Masters student
| Date Submitted:||06-05-2011|
| Last Modified:||20-05-2011 (07:45)|
| Current job:||Masters student|
| Employment Term:||Either|
| Job location:||Anywhere|
| Date available:||within 2 months|
| Industry:||Civil Agencies/International Organizations, Satellite Manufacturers and Subcontractors, Satellite Operators, , , Launch Systems, Business Services|
| Keywords||Very fast learner, great team player, highly motivated, intelligent and experienced in both mathematics and all areas of computer science. Excellent programming skills in several languages, great communication skills. Took part in the Google Summer of C|
THE UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL, Bristol, UK
Final year of Master of Engineering degree in Mathematics and Computer Science, 2:1 expected
OXFORD HIGH SCHOOL GDST, Oxford, UK
3 A Levels: Maths (A), IT (A), Spanish (B)
2 AS Levels: Chemistry (A), Critical Thinking (B)
9 GCSEs at grade A* and 1 GCSE at grade A
For my dissertation at university last year I wrote a paper providing a well-explained and easy to understand version of the proof of Agrawal, Kayal, and Saxena’s paper, PRIMES is in P. This detailed the first ever primality test which is polynomial, general, unconditional, and deterministic. My project required a huge amount of research and the ability to understand complex mathematics; and also the skill of explaining difficult concepts in a simple way. I also had to give a presentation on it to other students and academic tutors. For both the presentation and my paper I was awarded a solid First.
As part of my thesis I am writing software in C++ which analyses FITS images of galaxies: the software constructs a model of a galaxy, optimises the parameters, and outputs a residual image displaying differences between the expected brightness values and the actual values. This involves complex mathematical procedures, such as the Fast Fourier Transform to perform convolution with the Point Spread Function; constrained minimisation of a function with no analytic form in 9 dimensions; reduced Chi-squared fitting; and methods to estimate the initial model parameter values. This software is going to be used by the Bristol University Astrophysics Group. I have achieved a First in the parts which have been marked so far.
SCHOLARSHIPS AND PRIZES
I was selected as a recipient of the Great Western Scholarship for outstanding students in a skills-shortage area for the year 2007/2008 at the University of Bristol. I received a school award for the highest score in A Level IT. I was a prizewinner in the Oxfordshire Science Writing Competition 2006.
• I have a huge amount of experience with both Windows and Linux systems
• I am extremely skilled at using the MS Office Suite
• I am very skilled at using Latex to produce documents and presentations
• I am highly proficient in C, C++, Java, SQL, (X)HTML, and CSS
• I have experience with XML, Haskell, Occam, Matlab, and MongoDB
• I am very comfortable conversing in Spanish and French
• I have studied a wide range of modules at University to learn as much as possible in as many areas as possible. Within computer science these include several in cryptography which I excelled in; I achieved an outstanding result in Databases; I have also succeeded in Quantum Computation, and Computational Complexity.
• This year I am currently averaging 100% in Machine Learning and was asked to present my solution to a problem to the class of 70 students, because it was both excellent and highly original; I am averaging a First in Law and IT; and I am also studying Learning in Autonomous Systems and Coding Theory.
• I also have a strong background in mathematics and have been specialising in pure mathematics for the past 2 years. I have studied and done well in modules in applied mathematics.
EngageSciences – July to October 2010
• Chosen to work as a summer intern with EngageSciences after an interview.
• Wrote a tracking program in Java, MySQL, and MongoDB which took information from URL query parameters to monitor clicks of users and compare the performance of the two database systems. The ultimate result of my work decided which database the company implemented in their software.
• Quickly learnt to use Tomcat, IntelliJ IDEA, and Grails.
• Wrote unit tests in Groovy for large parts of the software which could be automatically run to reveal any broken code.
• Responsible for Q&A - thoroughly tested the software for bugs, correcting some myself and reporting the others to the developers.
• Worked full time as part of the team, including with those located all over the world, and took part in some international conference calls.
The Globus Alliance – May to October 2009
Participant in the Google Summer of Code
• One of 1000 students selected worldwide from my CV and application proposal.
• Successfully passed all evaluations.
• Researched many ciphers to identify their security and speed. This then enabled me to write a program in C, using the OpenSSL library, implementing different types of block and stream ciphers. The purpose of this program was to compare their performance encrypting and decrypting various types of files, so that I could decide the most suitable cipher for the rest of my project.
• Implemented in C a driver to ensure secure communication between computers using RC2 block encryption. This driver encrypts data at the server side before it is sent to clients, where it is automatically decrypted upon receipt.
• I was working from home with a mentor located an 11 hour time difference away. This meant I had to be very motivated and needed to manage my time well to make progress at a suitable rate.
VARIOUS RETAIL JOBS
From 2004 to present
• Constantly employed during term time and holidays
• Worked successfully in shops, cafes, and bars as part of a team to enable myself to be self-sufficient and gain experience.
I am known to be always highly enthusiastic and hard-working, and I can work successfully as both a team player and as an individual – as is demonstrated by my success working in an office this summer and from home the summer before. I can excel as both a team leader, being able to keep a group focused and motivated; and also when taking direction from others. When working as part of a group I am willing to complete menial activities which nobody else wants to do, and also to take on the most difficult tasks. I have achieved a First in every group project I have done at university. Not only am I always eager to learn but I am also a fast learner, shown by my success in learning to use many new types of software and programming in a new language during my internship.
I do not like to fail and so I always work at things I find difficult until I can succeed. I relish a challenge and love finding new experiences. People find it very easy to get on with me and as a consequence I am well liked as a person, and people feel happy and comfortable working with me. When working in a group I will voice my opinions constructively and offer new ideas and solutions to problems. I am approachable and always
happy to help others in need; which is shown my the fact that I have been a mentor for younger students in computer science for two years in a row. This involves providing guidance in both work and personal issues, and helping students to get the best experience they can out of university.
I have achieved Grade 8 clarinet, and am currently completing the gold Duke of Edinburgh’s Award and the Sports Leadership Award – which involved teaching younger students badminton, for which I was commended in my ability to make lessons fun and encourage those who found it difficult whilst still providing more able students with a challenge. I have been a member of auditioned choirs and orchestras, including the Thames Valley Youth Orchestra, and enjoy both playing and watching sports.
I love to travel and have been fortunate enough to experience the cultures of many different countries. The fact that I can speak both Spanish and French well and find it easy to pick up new languages greatly helps me to integrate myself into both new and familiar cultures, and I have made many friends during my travels who I am still in touch with. At school I arranged an exchange for myself with a Spanish family since
my school was unable to provide this for me, so that I could improve my conversational ability and also experience living abroad.
I have run my own jewellery business for five years. I make the jewellery myself and sell it at craft fairs every holiday, and have built up a good reputation and a loyal customer base who look out for my creations. I also used to sell my jewellery at school and on eBay. To be able to do this successfully on top of my studies requires a large amount of time management and business sense. The fact that it only took a short while to break even demonstrates that I am able to manage myself well and have the capability to succeed in several areas at once.
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2021 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery
|3 months - Bronze
|6 months - Silver
|12 months - Gold
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at email@example.com. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.