Senior NASA BD Contract/Direct Executive
- NASA New Business Development expert specializing in developing new business strategies to maximize P[win] by leverage public-private partnerships models to provide best value to NASA with enhanced revenues and profits
- Successful leadership experience at NASA and private industry; possess a deep understanding of the processes, people and culture at NASA, with long-term relationships with many key NASA decision makers at NASA Hqs and at the Field Centers
Core Leadership Strengths
Capture Team Leadership
Integrated R&D/BD Planning and Execution
Systems Design & Engineering
- Won Boeing’s first NASA science mission contract in 20+ years. Modified commercial satellite bus architectures and developed capture strategies to position Boeing to win $5B+ in new NASA business.
- Developed Ball Aerospace’s winning strategy to partner with Northrop Grumman Space Technology (NGST) as the winning Prime Contractor to design and build James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), a $8B+ program.
- Reduced NASA’s Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy (SOFIA) costs 50% and conceptualized innovative design to relocate Hubble-sized telescope’s position within aircraft. Secured agreement with German Space agency (DLR) to contribute the telescope to NASA. Phased out existing airborne observatory.
- Created and led Scientific and Engineering teams that conceptualized JWST at NASA. Sold program that emerged at highest priority new astrophysics mission. Led advocacy campaign to secure funding into NASA budget by President’s Office of Management & Budget. Launch scheduled for 2018.
“Mike was instrumental in developing the strategies and tactics needed to compete in the highly competitive Space Science market. Mike used his extensive experience and expertise in NASA Planetary Science to develop product offerings that meet or exceed customer expectations.”
– Mike Elsperman, Director of Space Science & Commercial Space, The Boeing Company
SSL/MDA, Boulder, CO 2015 – 2017
Multinational corporation that manufactures, and sells spacecraft, robotics, telecommunications and information systems.
Director, NASA Business Development and Sales
Lead new business development and sales for NASA SMD and HEOMD markets
Won more than $100M in space communications business for International Space Station and other programs
Created new public-private partnership business models to increase P[win], revenues and profits for several new NASA programs
Kaplan Astronautics, Mevaseret Zion, Israel 2010 – 2015
Private Aerospace consulting firm servicing industry, NGO, and government clients internationally.
Develop and foster client relationships driving growth within the commercial arena and business development within government sectors in addition to systems engineering and full lifecycle project management.
Positioned several Israeli space entities to expand potential revenues and profits more than $1B dollars
Reduced investment risks for several US financial institutions totaling $2B+ billion with insightful technical due diligence assessments for new commercial space projects.
The Boeing Company, Huntington Beach, CA 1999 – 2010
Multinational corporation that designs, manufactures, and sells airplanes, rotorcraft, rockets, and satellites.
Program Development Manager, Advanced Space Exploration
Managed new NASA robotic and science business in addition to new business development. Led process to bring Boeing into NASA Space Science market, a totally new market for Boeing.
Led Boeing’s team that won Terrestrial Planet Finder Architecture Study contract from NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL).
Won first spacecraft supplier role on NASA planetary science mission: Comet Surface Sample Return mission from NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, a potential $900M prime contract.
Delivered spacecraft supplier role on NASA planetary science mission: RAVEN, a Venus Imaging Radar mission for Southwest Research Institute, a potential $450M prime contract.
Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp., Boulder, CO 1997 – 1999
Manufacturer of spacecraft, components, and instruments for national defense, civil space, and commercial applications.
Senior Program Manager, NASA Programs, Civil Space Systems
Drove new product development and business development for NASA space astrophysics. Key player in Ball winning its largest ever NASA contract, the JWST telescope assembly, on the winning NGST team.
Convinced NASA JPL to change acquisition approach by selecting 2 contractors for the Space Interferometry Mission (SIM), enabling Ball to compete. Created and led Ball’s SIM team that won Deep Space 3 multiple spacecraft interferometer mission procurement.
NASA Headquarters, Washington, DC 1990 – 1997
US government agency leading civilian space program as well as aeronautics and aerospace research.
Advanced Programs Branch Chief, Astrophysics Division, Office of Space Science
Led all new NASA astrophysical space observatory and technology development programs. Managed process to transform US National Academy of Science’s highest priority scientific recommendations into future astronomical space programs. Directed top scientists, managers, and engineers from NASA, other space agencies, academics, and industry to create new space programs and projects. Efforts resulted in two major space programs currently operational, SOFIA and the Spitzer Space Telescope, and one currently in the integration and test phase, JWST.
Prior tenures included:
Advanced Concepts Section Head, Naval Center for Space Technology, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC
Physical Science Policy Analyst, US General Accounting Office, Washington, DC
Technical Leader, The BDM Corporation, McLean, VA
Education / Credentials
Princeton University, BSE, Aerospace & Mechanical Sciences / Engineering Physics
The George Washington University, MS, Electrical Engineering,
The George Washington University, MSA, Research & Development Management
Capture Lead Level I & II, The Boeing Company, Chicago, IL
TRACE Intermediary Certification, TRACE International, Inc., Annapolis, MD
Professional Affiliations and Patent
Elected Associate Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics & Astronautics (AIAA)
Senior Member, Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
Member, American Astronomical Society (AAS)
Patent: Space-based Tethered Array Antenna, 1987, US Naval Search Laboratory, Classified SECRET
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £350 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2017 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)562211007 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)562211007.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)562211007 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
Recruitment agencies are only eligible for a Gold package and recruitment agencies recruiting for companies already using Space Careers will not be accepted.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing email@example.com. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.