Born: Armenia (Colombia), September 5, 1961
Spanish: mother tongue
English: Oral: Proficient Written: Proficient
French: Oral: Proficient Written: Proficient
Italian: Oral: medium Written: medium
- Current: Panamproject Corporation, Associated Senior Consultant. Space Technologies Projects, Spectrum Management, Satellite Networks, ICT Universal Access Projects, ICT and broadband initiatives
- 2010: National Spectrum Agency (ANE), Colombia: Founder and 1st. General Director
- 2006-2009: Ministry of Information and Communications Technologies (MINTIC): Director Office of International Affairs
- 2005-2006: ICT International Senior Consultant; Universidad de los Andes, Department of Electrical Engineering (Bogotá, Colombia): Associate Professor; ENST-DRS, Toulouse, France: Visiting Professor
- 2002-2004: COMPARTEL Program, Ministry of Communications of Colombia: Director of Planning and Development Division; UPB: Founder and Director of R & D in Telecom, GIDAT
1997-2004: CONSTEL (ICT Consulting Company, Medellin, Colombia): Partner and Consultant; UPB: Project Director for the Ph.D. program in Telecommunications; Visiting Professor at ENST, Toulouse, France, INRIA, Sophia-Antipolis, France; Visiting Professor: Universidad de los Andes, Bogotá
- 1993-1997: ENST, Département de Radiocommunications Spatiaux, Toulouse, France: PhD candidate; ENST: Project Advisory M.Sc. degree; Universita degli Studi di Firenze, Florence, Italy: Visiting Professor
- 1990-1993: UPB: Telecommunications Area Coordinator
- 1988-1989: UPB: Coordinator of Basic Sciences Laboratories; Catholic University of America, Washington DC, USA: Visiting Professor
- 1986-1987: UPB: Professor of Basic Sciences Laboratories,
- 1985: Instituto Nal. Radio and TV, Inravisión, (Bogota, Colombia): Transmission Engineer
MAIN PROJECTS AND GOALS
EXPERIENCE IN SECTOR ORGANISATIONS
International Telecommunication Union, ITU
1. Working Party 4A (Efficient Use of ROE) of the Commission of Studies 4 (Satellite) Radio Sector, ITU-R: Since 2007, regular attendance at their biannual meetings, as Head of Delegation of Colombia. I led among others, proposals from Colombia to implement the new Res 80, seeking to ensure equitable access to the GEO for developing countries
2. WRC World Radiocommunication Conference: Attending preparatory meetings (WRC-07 and WRC-12); Alternate Head of Delegation of Colombia at WRC-07. I led proposals for Extension of the rights of the Andean countries for the use of position 67 º West; Amendment to Resolution 80 for GEO equitable access to developing countries; Preservation of C Band for Fixed Satellite Services, Approval of Ancilliary terrestrial Communications for mobile satellite services, band 450-470 for rural broadband communications, Identification of frequency bands for IMT and sub frequency bands for the digital dividend
3. Regional Preparatory Meeting (Americas) for the World Telecommunication Development Conference 2010: Director of the staff team, coordinating with the ITU this meeting, held at Santa Marta, Colombia, 2009
4. Agreements MINTIC-ITU: Coordinator of contract and deployment of spectrum management system, development of spectrum management manual
5 - Global Workshop on Efficient Use of OSR, organized by the Radio Sector, ITU-R, May 2009: Guest panelist, where I presented mathematical models to measure the use and operation of the GEO
6. World Plenipotentiary Conference 2006, PP'06: Alternate Head of Delegation of Colombia in this Conference. In this conference, I led among others, proposals for Colombia in the following initiatives: Extension of the rights of the Andean countries for the use of position 67 º West; Amendment to the Resolution 80, for equitable access to the GEO developing countries; increasing the Americas seats at ITU Council
7. First Phase of the World Summit on the Information Society in Geneva in December 2003: Guest panelist, where I presented mass models of satellite broadband in remote areas
8. Second Phase of the World Summit on the Information Society, Tunis, November 2005: Guest panelist, where I presented proposals for the use of Ka Banda in tropical regions, for broadband projects.
9. ITU-D meetings: Preparation of contributions from Colombia to the meetings of Study Groups of ITU-D, and global workshops on ICT indicators (2008 to 2010)
10. ITU-Telecom: Alternate head of delegation Telecom2009, sessions: "Connecting to School, Conneting to Community"; government sessions
United Nations Commission for Peaceful Use of Space, UN-COPUOS
Regular meetings: Since 1999, regular attendance as a delegate of Colombia to UNISPACE III, and the annual meetings of the Scientific Subcommittee and plenary meetings (UN-Vienna). I led Colombia's proposals to the Committee for issues relating to the use and operation of the GEO
Workshops: invited Panelits to the Office for Outer Space Affairs UN-OOSA Workshops: Córdoba (2005) and Mexico (2007)
International Telecommunications Satellite Organization, ITSO
- Member of the Frequency Working Group (ad honorem) to advise the Director General
- Head of Delegation of Colombia in the Assemblies of 2007, 2008 and 2009.
At 2007 Assembly: Vice President Americas Region I led the proposal for the amendment to the agreement to preserve ITSO OSR, before any financial or commercial risks of Intelsat, the amendment was approved; at the Assembly of 2008, chaired the Working Group to review changes to the rules of procedure; at the Assembly of 2009, delegated by the Americas region for the Ad Hoc Group that negotiated relations between the ITSO, the operator (INTELSAT) and the notifying administration
Inter-American Telecommunication Commission, CITEL
From 2007 to 2009, Head of Delegation of Colombia, for biannual meetings of the Permanent Consultative Committee II CCPII (Radio): Author of several Inter American Proposals (IAP) to the WRC, director of several ad hoc groups, in particular regulation of IAP. Coordinator of initiative for Colombia’s presidency of CCPPII for 2010-2014, which was achieved
Space Conference of the Americas:
Panelist at the conferences of 2002 (Cartagena), Quito (2006), Pachuca (2010)
Central American Telecommunications Committee, COMTELCA
Coordinator of initiatives for the Colombian adhesion to COMTELCA (achieved in 2010). Expert advisor for issues of Broadband VSAT networks, cooperation between the Ministry of Communications of Colombia and COMTELCA. In this context, has given several workshops and provided advice in Bogota, Tegucigalpa, Guatemala
Andean Committee of Telecommunications CAATEL
From 2003 to 2010 delegate or head of delegation of Colombia to CAATEL meetings, project leader for the exploitation of Andean ROE at 67 º West
Association of Andean Telecommunications Companies, ASETA
Supervisor of agreements for technical and economic studies of the Andean satellite, and satellite Colombian; Delegate for the 2nd Preparatory Meeting for WRC-12
Telecommunications Study Group of APEC (APECTEL):
Coordinator of Colombia's dossier to APECTEL meetings, coordinator of initiatives to associate membership
International Mobile Satellite Organization, IMSO:
Head delegation of Colombia, 2007 meeting, the coordinator of contributions following meetings
UNIDROIT: Support to the Colombian government contributions to the meetings of 2009 and 2010
ICAAN: Delegate of Colombia to the Intergovernmental Forum, Paris, 2008; support subsequent meetings
Colombian Space Commission: MINTIC delegate, director of telecommunications research group space
Colombian Ocean Commission: MINTIC delegate, director of telecommunications research group
- Francois Rancy, Director ITU-R; francois.rancy(at)itu.int
- Victor Kotelnikov, Scientific Affairs Officer UN-OOSA; victor.kotelnikov(at)unvienna.org
- Jose Toscano, Director ITSO; jtoscano(at)itso.int
- Ciro Arevalo, President IAF-GRULAC; ciro.arevalo(at)iag.org
- Clovis Baptista, Executive Secretary CITEL-OAS cbaptista(at)oas.org
- Gustavo Pena, General Secretary REGULATEL; gpq(at)regulatel.org
- Santiago Cembrano, Director General, Secretariat CAN; scembrano(at)comunidadandina.org
- Maria del Rosario Guerra, former Minister MINTIC Colombia; mrguerra1(at)gmail.com
- Steve Collar, senior CEO, O3B networks, steve.collar(at)o3benetworks.com
- Jurandir Pitsch, Vicepresident Market Development, Latin America; jurandir.pitsch(at)ses.com
- Francesco Toschi, Director Market and regulatory Affairs, INMARSAT; francesco_toschi(at)inmarsat.com
- Michael Schwartz, Vice President Marketing & Corporate Development, Telesat; mschwartz(at)telesat.com
- Vicente Rubio, Director Regulation Affairs, Hispasat; vrubio(at)hispasat.es
- Luis Perrone, Director International Affairs, OI Telecom ; perrone(at)oi.net.br
- Mike Gooding, Director, Marketing and Sales, Loral Space; gooding.michael(at)ssd.loral.com
- Elodie Koby, Senior Sales Manager, SouthEurope & LA, Thales Alenia Space; elodie.koby(at)thalesaleniaspace.com
- Hector Bude, Head radio frequencies, URSEC Uruguay; hbude(at)ursec.gub.uy
- Gerardo Garcia, Manager REDCOM; gerardo.garcia(at)redcom.com.co
ANNEX : INTELLECTUAL PRODUCTION
Development of rain-attenuation and rain-rate maps for satellite system design in the Ku and Ka bands in Colombia. Emiliani, LD Agudelo, J. Gutierrez, E. Restrepo, J. Fradique-Mendez, C. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Dec. 2004. Volume: 46, Issue: 6
Analysis of current and future states of supply of satellite services in Latin America. Restrepo, Joaquin G. Emiliani, Luis D, 22nd AIAA International Communications Satellite Systems Conference & Exhibit 2004, Monterey, CA, USA, 9-12 May 2004. 17 pp. 2004
"Technical aspects for future broadband satellites in GEO orbit, servicing tropical zones", COPUOS, UN, Vienna, Austria., February 2003
Evaluation of traffic performance in Non-GEO satellite constellation for mixed services (mobile and fixed). Joaquin Restrepo, Gérard Maral, Grigory I. Massy, Juan Carlos Velez. 20th AIAA International Communications Satellite Systems Conference. Montreal, Canada, 2002
20th Conference and Exhibition on Satellite Communications Systems, ICSSC'2002. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, AIAA, IEEE. Montreal, Canada, April 2002. "Rain attenuation models in tropical regions for Ku band."
Non-GEO Satellite Constellation Simulator: services and scenarios, software architecture tool, and validation. Joaquin Restrepo, Gérard Maral, Grigory I. Massy. Tecnocom 2001, ICSS 01. Toulouse, France, April 2001
19th Conference and Exhibition on Satellite Communications Systems, ICSSC'2001. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, AIAA, IEEE. Toulouse, France, April 2001. "Non GEO simulation tool: Software architecture, Campaign Design, and Scenarios."
VI Andean Congress of Communications, ANDICOM2000. Cartagena, Colombia, October 2000, "Advanced services for non-geostationary systems based on the concept GH."
18th Conference and Exhibition on Satellite Communications Systems, ICSSC'2000. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, AIAA, IEEE. Oakland, California, USA, April 10 to 14, 2000. "Enhanced service concept based on GH for Satellite-Fixed Cell".
6th. International Mobile Satellite Conference, IMSC'99. NASA-JPL and CRC, Ottawa, Canada, 15 to 18 June 1999. "Advanced services based in GH in MSS concept."
4th Meeting COST 272. European Union. Toulouse, France, 12 to 15 May 1999. "Analytical models for a service in GH Non-Geo Satellite Constellations."
Several Applications of Guaranteed Handover (GH) Service in Mobile Satellite Systems (MSS) Gérard Maral, Joaquin Restrepo, Felipe Cabarcas, Santiago Jaramillo, David Rivera. IMSC 99, Ottawa, Canada, June 1999
Performance analysis for a guaranteed handover service in LEO constellation with a "satellite-fixed cell" system. Gerard Maral, Enrico del Re, Romano Fantacci, Givovanni Giambene. Vehicular Technology in November 1998.
Space Communications. IOS Press. Vol 14 no. 3, December 1996. "Cell Coverage in Geometry for global Earth-Fixed Concept for Non-Geo Satellite Systems."
Analitical Extended model for Calculating the quality of service (QoS) in a mobile satellite system (MSS) with a guaranteed handover (GH) service. Joaquin Restrepo, Santiago Jaramillo, Felipe Cabarcas, Gerard Maral. EMPS98 Venice, Italy. Tecnhnology November 1998
Overview constleaciones non-geostationary satellite (part I). Joaquin Restrepo, Gérard Maral. RCT Cintel magazine. Vol 5. No. 14. January-March 1998
3rd. European Workshop on Mobile / Personal Satcoms, EMPS'98. ESA.Venecia, Italy, 3 to 5 November 1998. "Extended GH model for Mobile Satellite Constellations."
3rd Meeting COST 272. European Union. Thessaloniki, Greece, 6 to 7 July 1997. "Comparison Between Earth-Fixed-Fixed Satellite cell and Cell in Non-GEO constellations."
5th. International Mobile Satellite Conference, IMSC'99. NASA-JPL and CRC. Pasadena, CA, USA June 16 to 19, 1997. "GH procedure in Non-Geo constellations."
COMMSPHERE'97. IEEE. LuSane, Switzerland, February 14 1997. "Fixed Eart-cell and cell Satellite_Fixed Systems in Non-Geo"
Globecom'96. IEEE. London, England., 9 to 11 November 1996. "Cell geomtery for Earth-Fixed Cell Systems"
2nd. European Workshop on Mobile / Personal Satcoms, EMPS'96. ESA Rome, Italy, 9 to 11 October 1996. "GH Traffic Model for Non-Geo in service systems"
4th. Symposium on Satellite Systems and Services to small. Centre Nationale d'etudes Spatiaux, CNES. Annecy, France. 26 to 28 June 1996. "Earth-Fixed Cell concepts and models in Non-Geo systems."
5th International Conference on Satellite Systems for Mobile Communications and Navigation. IEE, Inmarsat. London, England, May 13 to 15, 1996. "Analysis and comparison of satellite constellations with permanent, comprehensive, simple visibility."
16th Conference and Exhibition on Satellite Communications Systems, ICSSC'96. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, AIAA, IEEE. Washington DC, USA, February 25 to 29, 1996. "Constellation Sizing for Earth-Fixed in Non-Geo cell systems."
Space Communications. IOS Press. Vol 13 no. 2, Nov. 1995. "Earth-Fixed Concept for Non-GEO Satellite Systems".
- Patent number: 97-02392. European Patent Office. Deposited by France Telecom. Feb. 26 1997. " Transfert d'une communication dans binds non-satellite Constellation géostationaires. "
- Patent number: 96-12349. European Patent Office. Deposited by France Telecom. Oct. 8 1996. " Transfert d'une communication dans binds non-satellite Constellation géostationaires. "
(Both patents were also registered in the U.S.)
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £350 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2017 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)562211007 or send us an email at email@example.com. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)562211007.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)562211007 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
Recruitment agencies are only eligible for a Gold package and recruitment agencies recruiting for companies already using Space Careers will not be accepted.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.