Houston, TX; Bilingual; NASA Background Ck: NACI (National Agency Check with Inquiries); Non-Smoker
Seeking position as Project Coordinator, Developer or Quality Assurance Analyst/Auditor of critical processes or applications software.
Extensive experience in production/maintenance/quality metrics generation and project coordination of the man-rated Space Shuttle Software (SSS).
Professional Achievements Highlights
- Received the prestigious “Silver Snoopy Award”, awarded by NASA’s Astronaut’s Office for “outstanding support that greatly enhanced the flight safety and mission success of the Space Shuttle Space Transportation System Program”.
- Led development/deployment/tracking of multiple key upgrades to the NASA Space Shuttle Software (SSS) Development Processes which:
-- Improved the effectiveness of the Design/Code Inspection Process (i.e. formal Peer Reviews) from finding only 34% of all inserted defects to finding 85% to 100% of all inserted defects in modified code.
-- Played the major role in reducing inserted defects per 1000 lines of modified code from 13.4 to 0.72 and then virtually 0.
-- Significantly reduced the cost of correcting software defects by allowing code developers to identify and correct software problems at the earliest opportunity, minimizing the amount of re-work required to make corrections later.
-- Provided the model used for systematically applying analogous process upgrades to all other software tools and simulators supporting SSS production, reaping similar quality and productivity improvements.
-- Helped the organization earn the following awards and certifications:
--- George M. Low Quality and Excellence Award, NASA’s highest honor for quality and performance; received twice.
--- CMMI (Capability Maturity Model Integration) Maturity Level 5certification, the highest Maturity Level possible under the CMMI model defined by the SEI (Software Engineering Institute) of Pittsburgh, PA.
--- NASA Excellence Award for Quality and Productivity, the forerunner of the George M Lowe Award.
- Discovered four previously unknown sub-processes within the Space Shuttle Software Des/Code Inspection process. Results were referenced in a book and in an article in the IEEE journal and helped discern if the collective preparation time of inspectors for an inspection meeting was out of line with preparation time for similar inspections.
Led and developed various software process improvements in an ISO9000 and CMMI Level 5 certified organization that produces man-rated, critical software applications: Project Coordinator, Defect Analysis team coordinator, Software Development Process developer/maintainer/instructor, Software Quality Assurance auditor, Quality Metrics and Statistics developer/maintainer, Software developer/inspector. Bilingual in Spanish. Computer platforms/tools used: WORD, EXCEL, PowerPoint, Lotus Notes, Documentum, Oracle, JCL and HAL/S.
United Space Alliance – Houston, TX
Computer Science Staff V 2001 – 2011.
- Co-Authored presentation “Getting More Out of Your Inspection Data – Using Capture-Recapture Models for the Reinspection Decision” with Khaled El Emam and Dave Zubrow which was presented at the National Software Engineering Process Group Conference, Phoenix AZ, February, 2002; and at the International Conference on Software Quality, Ottawa, Canada, October, 2002.
- As backup Chair of the Board responsible for addressing Space Shuttle Software (SSS) defects/problems and recommending to NASA how to resolve them: Appoint/ coordinate/work with teams of analysts to investigate and determine severity/root cause/response options for each software defect.
- Coordinate company’s response to each contract performance evaluation weakness identified by the customer (NASA) in quarterly evaluations: Identify managers/actionees responsible for addressing the weakness and coordinate/partner their responses with the customer.
- Develop/generate/publish monthly metrics of software defect counts/severity/trends across the different supported versions of the SSS.
- Generate/publish/present to NASA a comprehensive SSS Quality Report twice a year and organize/schedule/coordinate simultaneous, equivalent reports by all departments and subcontractors that maintain the various subsystems comprising the SSS.
- Develop/organize/ lead/coordinate audits of specific Product Development Plans as requested by NASA: Work closely with managers and technical personnel in the affected corporate/subcontractor organizations to ensure they collect/ present adequate objective evidence that shows their organization is in compliance with the audited plan.
- Prior to each flight of the Space Shuttle, prepare/conduct Flight Readiness Audits to ensure all software updates were implemented per required processes and on the version of the SSS that will be used in the specific flight.
- Actively supported the 2009 CMMI (Capability Maturity Model Integration) audit that certified the Flight Software Element of the United Space Alliance Corporation as operating at the highest Maturity Level (Level 5) possible under the CMMI model defined by the Software Engineering Institute of Pittsburgh, PA: Identified, and compiled objective evidence for the CMMI auditors, consisting of multiple mappings of required practices- to-organization processes-to-specific software products.
- As backup Chair of the Software Engineering Process Group, facilitated evolution to standardized processes for all organizations comprising the Flight Software Element of the United Space Alliance Corporation.
Computer Science Staff IV 1998 – 2001.
- Developed/presented multiple training classes for software developers/inspectors that became part of the core standard training for all new employees developing SSS updates.
- Managed/performed periodic technical audits of the Space Shuttle Software (SSS) to find conditions that could cause processing divergence between the synchronized set of computers that control the Space Shuttle during flight.
- Analyzed, investigated problems and updated modules in the Vehicle Utilities functional section of the SSS.
- Managed production/assessment of Quality Metrics for the SSS development organization.
- Evaluated requirements changes and implemented/tested design/code updates affecting the Vehicle Utilities and Guidance/Navigation/Control functional sections of the SSS.
- Moderated Design/Code Inspections that looked for defects in updates made to individual SSS modules.
- Managed maintenance/publication of the SSS Detailed Design Specification and the monthly publication of the organization’s Development Plan status.
LORAL, then Lockheed-Martin – Houston, TX 1995 – 1998.
Senior Software Engineer
- Validated the stability of the PASS FSW Inspection process using statistical metrics developed in collaboration with the Software Engineering Institute of Pittsburgh, PA.
- Co-authored the initial version of the ISO9000 Quality Process for the Space Shuttle Software (SSS) organization and conducted yearly audits of specific departments within the organization.
- Led/coordinated/co-authored/published the Design/Code Inspection Process used in SSS development which codified the best practices to be used by all code designers/developers/inspectors to identify/correct software defects prior to integrating the updated code into released versions of the SSS.
- Developed and conducted training for Design/Code Inspection Moderators of SSS updates.
- Collaborated in writing an Inspection Process Standards document for NASA.
- Represented the Systems Management functional section of the SSS at the weekly deliberations of the Board that addresses SSS defects/problems: Collected/organized/presented analysis of each Systems Management defect found.
IBM, then LORAL – Houston, TX 1975 – 1995.
Staff Programmer (IBM, then LORAL)
Senior Associate Programmer (IBM)
Associate Programmer (IBM)
- Designed/coded/documented/maintained multiple display and control segment Space Shuttle Software (SSS) modules guided by engineering requirements provided by other NASA contractors and by approved corrections for software problems/defects.
- Organized/led/trained one of the first teams of independent moderators for the Design/Code Inspection Process that reviews every manually coded update made to the SSS.
- Led/coordinated/co-authored/published/deployed the Design/Code Inspection Process that dramatically improved the quality of SSS updates.
- Led definition/implementation of multiple checklist items and analysis tools’ reports to be generated and referenced during Design/Code Inspections of the SSS.
- Analyzed software defects found in segments of the SSS for which I had maintenance responsibility and recommended how to deal with them (e.g. correct, waive, modify requirements or provide workarounds).
B.S. Mathematics, The University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX
Selected Keywords: Project Coordination,Software, Software Development, Software Design, Software Inspection, Code Inspections, Peer Reviews, Software Quality Assurance, SQA, Audits, Audit Process, Process, Quality, Quality Metrics, Quality Statistics, Inspections, Formal Inspections, Bilingual, ISO9000, CMMI, NASA, Space Shuttle, WORD, EXCEL, PowerPoint, Lotus Notes, Documentum, Oracle, JCL, HAL/S.
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2018 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing email@example.com. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.