SUMMARY: A professional with experience in the engineering and experimental science fields through past employment in industry, university research, and leadership roles. This work included instrumentation research, design, and development, as well as roles in leadership. Past positions have included engineering work with the U.S. Department of Defense and Australian Astronomical Observatory.
EDUCATION B.S. Physics, Minor: Environmental Systems University of California, San Diego (2009)
Electricity & Magnetism Lab C/C++ Programming Partial Differential Equations Directed Research
Modern Physics Laboratory Finite Element Analysis Electromagnetism Computational Physics Physical Measurements Laboratory
Computer Aided Design Mechanics Digital & Analog Electronics Laboratory Experimental Techniques Laboratory Cryptography
PUBLICATIONS, CONFERENCES, AND PRESENTATIONS
- A. Horton and B. Baumgartner, “The Effect of Fibre Core Geometry on Focal Ratio Degredation”, in CLEO/Europe and EQEC 2011 Conference Digest, OSA Technical Digest (CD) (Optical Society of America, 2011), paper JSill_P9
- “Focal Ratio Degradation for Novel Fiber Geometries,” ATNF/AAO Summer Vacation Student Symposium, February 2011 - W.A. Coles, T.W. Murphy Jr., J.F. Melser, J.K. Tu, G.A. White, K.H. Kassabian, K. Bales, and B.B. Baumgartner, “A Radio System for
Avoiding Illuminating Aircraft with a Laser Beam”, October, 2009, http://arxiv.org/0910.5685
Pro/Engineer Wildfire, SolidWorks, COSMOSWorks, Mechanica, MATLAB, Mathematica, LabVIEW, Basic C/C++, Python, Streams 5, Finite Element Analysis, Linux/UNIX, DAQ, Assembler, soldering, circuits, ORIGIN, Oscilloscopes, Voltmeter/Multimeters
TECHNICAL EXPERIENCE Australian Astronomical Observatory, Instrument Science Fellow, Sydney, Australia (December 2010 – April 2011)
- Commissioned experimental apparatus for current and future testing of fiber optics relevant to astronomical instrumentation. - Worked with optical equipment to explore focal ratio degradation performance for fiber optic cables of varying core shapes and sizes. - Developed software for data analysis within project working in a Linux computing environment. - Constructed and administered all levels of testing and preparation, including experimental setup, data acquisition, and data analysis. - Presented academic talk on subject to report research findings and progress to CSIRO and AAO faculty and students. - Worked independently through majority of project, with little to no supervision.
United States Department of Defense, Mechanical Engineer, Monterey, CA (January 2010 – December 2010)
- Designed electromechanical equipment to meet research goals for underwater and Antarctic deployments. - Worked with SolidWorks mechanical drafting software extensively for design, development, and optimization of parts & equipment. - Conducted calibration tests of equipment prior to deployment in the Arctic, including instrument and software functionality checks. - Wrote programs for instrument control, data collection, and data analysis, working in a Linux computing environment. - Developed extensive procedural notes for tests and construction, including written instructions on all aspects of projects phases. - Issued United States Government “Public Trust” security clearance for base access and work.
Center for Astrophysics & Space Sciences, Assistant Researcher, La Jolla, CA (January 2009 – August 2009)
- Constructed and characterized a radio transponder antenna to detect and interpret transmission signals from aircraft. - Researched and tested components for use in the laser box. - Conducted data analysis, including signal processing, coding, and interpretation, for transponder project. - Diagnosed and troubleshot a malfunctioning water pump on the telescope laser.
Marine Physical Laboratory, Assistant Engineer, La Jolla, CA (March 2009 – August 2009)
- Researched wave-generated spray using the Scripps Hydraulics Laboratory’s forty-meter wave channel. - Worked with DAQ hardware and imaging software to examine and analyze seawater bubbles in a controlled environment. - Built and maintained experiment apparatus during project. - Worked alone on individual research projects and with colleagues on experiment preparation and implementation.
LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE UC San Diego, Revelle College Resident Advisor & Senior Programming Intern, La Jolla, CA (2006 – 2008)
- Worked with minimal supervision to complete weekly event programming and entrusted with responsibly managing $6,000+ budget. - Served on committees, advised students and student organizations, and implemented large-scale events for residential college. - Received training in student support and conflict management. - Trusted with highly sensitive and confidential information—above and beyond that of most other staff members.
UC San Diego, Outback Adventures Outings Guide, La Jolla, CA (2005 – 2009)
- Entrusted with the safe leadership participant groups into the wilderness, as well as budgeting and organizing all aspects of trips. - Participated in Class B driver, wilderness medicine and logistics, and group facilitation. - Entrusted with sensitive personal health and medical history information of participants.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND CREDENTIALS
Leadership, Public Speaking, Teamwork, Independent Worker, Spanish, CA Commercial Class B License, Budget, Personnel, & Time Management
AWARDS - Ernest C. Mort Leadership Excellence Award, Revelle College, UC San Diego (May 2009) - Jen Snell Award, Revelle Residence Life (May 2008) - Outstanding Returning Paraprofessional, Inter-College Resident’s Association (May 2008) - Regional Social Program of the Month, National Association of College and University Residence Halls (May 2007)
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2018 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at email@example.com. We will set up an account for you and invoice you accordingly. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
Recruitment agencies are only eligible for a Gold package and recruitment agencies recruiting for companies already using Space Careers will not be accepted.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.