Date of birth 18/10/87 Nationality: Spanish
Oct 2010- Cranfield University (UK) Msc in Thermal Power.
Sept 2011 Modules: Space Propulsion, Combustors, Fuel and Combustion, Gas Turbines, Mechanical Design of Turbomachinery, Simulation and Diagnostics, Computational Fluid Dynamics
· GROUP PROJECT: Preliminary Design of the Updating of a Single Spool Turboject. Experimental tests for the extraction of the actual performance. Improvement of the fuel consumption by research into new manufacture techniques, new materials, and calculation of new engine parameters. Outcomes, Conclusions and Recommendations exposed in an oral presentation.
· INDIVIDUAL PROJECT: Measurement and Performance Analysis of a Gas Turbine. Evaluation of the degradation level of each component and simulation of the future performance by the manipulation of a software tool programmed in Fortran 77.
· THESIS: “Comparison of Numerical and EMPIRICAL ANALYSIS METHODS FOR A TIDAL TURBINE”.
Study of several numerical methods (Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Blade Element Momentum Theory (BEMT) and Panel Method) for the simulation of a tidal turbine. Programming and validation of a BEMT code in Matlab, modified with data extracted from CFD calculations (Ansys CFX). The tidal turbine geometry was modeled in CATIA and SolidWorks, and meshed with an unstructured mesh in ICEM (Ansys).
Sep 2005 - Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (Spain) Degree & Msc in Aerospace Engineering.
Nov 2010 Number 23 out of 212 (Honours in Thesis Project)
Main Fields: Rocket Engines, Spacecraft, Thermodynamics, Space Operations, Electronics, Fluid Dynamics, Calculation of Structures, Flight Dynamics, Navigation Systems and Avionics, Aero-engines, Mechanical Design, Aircraft, Materials, Mathematics, Numerical Methods.
· GROUP PROJECTS:
1. Preliminary design of an earth observing satellite mission. Determination of the orbit, propulsion plant, orbit correction maneuvers, space launch and lauch base election.
2. Numerical simulation of the temperature distribution and heat transfer in a disk brake as a function of time. A software was assembled in Fortran, where six different numerical analysis methods were included for the comparison of the outcomes between them. Oral presentation of the results.
3. Experimental test of different materials (plastics, aluminium, titanium, steel, compound materials) for the determination of their mechanical properties. Comparison of the properties after different process like thermal treatments, cold deformations, corrosion, erosion, welded and bolted unions, adhesive bondings. Analysis of fatigue failure mode. Non-destructive testing (ultrasonic, magnetic-particle, penetrating liquids, radiographic, visual inspection). Simulation of compound materials with ESAComp. Writing of technical reports with the results.
4. Manufacturing process management. Design of the manufacture process of several pieces by using different process like metalworking lathe, welding, sheet metal fabrication, numerical control machines and metrology. Writing of technical reports. (Drafts created with Solid Edge)
5. Preliminary design of an aircraft for civil purposes with a capacity of 30 passengers and a design range of 2000km. Dimensioning of all parts of the plane (wing, fuselage, vertical and horizontal stabilizers, flaps, ailerons, spoilers and landing gear). Choice of the engines. Distribution of emergency exits, and seats. Writing of technical report and use of Solid Edge for drafts.
· INDIVIDUAL PROJECTS: 1. Preliminary design of a piston engine (Dimensioning considering a given power and vibration studies). 2. Dimensioning of the cooling system for a turbine blade. 3. Study of the performance of an Aero-engine at different altitude and temperature conditions.
· THESIS: “Integral Design of Targets for the European Project HiPER”. Studies on fast ignition of
inertial fusion targets within the context of nuclear fusion. Simulations and optimization of the
compression phase by using genetic algorithms (programmed in Fortran) to optimize the laser beam. Ignition studies considering the injection of both carbon ions and electrons, optimizing the energy of the particles injected and the laser beam, as well as the configuration of the compressed plasma as a result of asymmetrical compression. Oral presentation and thesis defense.
Sep 2003- High School from MM Concepcionistas Madrid (Spain) Number 4 out of 75 (Graduated with
May 2005 honours)
Main Subjects: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Technical Drawing, Philosophy, Literature, History, English.
Sep 2008- Research Fellow in Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM)
Oct 2010 Department of Applied Physics.
Numerical simulation and computational fluid dynamics in the research area of plasma at high energy density. Two-dimensional radiation-hydrodynamic simulations of cone-in-shell targets driven by nanosecond laser pulses. ignition studies of the compressed fuel by electrons and ion beams driven by ultra-high intensity laser pulses. Extraction of relevant physical conclusions from several simulations carried out by an hybrid PIC code including self-generated electromagnetic fields. This code is coupled to a radiation-hydrodynamic code including nuclear reactions to study fuel ignition.
Jul 2008- Research Fellow in Spanish National Research Council (CSIC)
Sep 2008 Matter Structure Institute.
Extraction of the atomic masses from external database and development of a software in Fortran for the calculation of the nuclear stability, binding energies between nuclear particles and energy released in beta and doble beta decay process.
Oct 2007- Research Fellow in Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM)
Jun 2008 Department of Propulsion and Thermo-fluid dynamics.
Research project coordinator in the areas of combustion numerical simulation and experimental studies in the field of evaporation waves.
Development of a software in Matlab of a well-mixed combustor able to reproduce the concentration of the different reactive intermediates and reaction products as a function of time. Simplification of the kinetic model in order to reduce the computational cost of the simulations.
Operation of an experimental installation for the study of evaporation waves. Experience in the use of pressure valves, temperature and pressure sensors, infra-red camera, high frequency image acquisition camera, water pump, data acquisition hardware and software.
Spanish (Mother tongue), English (Fluently) and French (Learning. High level in reading)
Operating Systems: Linux and Windows.
Programming language: Fortran.
Software: Office, OpenOffice, Latex, Matlab, Tecplot, SolidEdge, CATIA, Fluent, CFX, ICEM.
“Ondas de evaporación. Una instalación experimental” Graña, J.C, Mestre, A.I, Moreno, M. Parra, i.e. 34 Reunión Anual de la Sociedad Nuclear Española (Oct 2008). Journal Sociedad Nuclear Española.
“Ocean energy extraction: State of the Art” Mestre, A.I. 34th Thermal Power MSc Engine System
Symposium (March 2011)
HIPER project: Target Design (Pending publication)
Willingness to travel and to relocate.
Driving licence since 2006.