Contract, Consultancy or Interim Management positions in Cost Engineering or Estimating. Alternatively, positions in a Project Support Office where a sound knowledge and track record in the aerospace, defence & nuclear industries can be applied for business improvement.
• A successful Cost Estimating Manager, with over 20years experience in management positions with an international track record in the Space Industry
• A proven ability to assess risk, analyse, plan, and estimate projects by leading and co-ordinating teams of diverse specialists. Extensive experience of presenting this data and making recommendations to corporate management.
• Has developed and implemented training course on basic Project Management, Estimating, and Risk.
• Consultant in Estimating processes and development of parametric estimating techniques.
• Has security clearance to SC level.
• Fellow of the Association of Cost Engineers. Formerly elected Council member.
• Experienced ECOS user
• Fronted up vetting meetings and “sold” estimates to corporate management for over 100 proposals, individual value up to £2 billion. This required the provision of analytical data on performance, risk assessment and considered cost reductions.
• Identified requirements and managed the development of a database to enable cost analysts, and engineers to develop relationships between technical and cost/schedule, learning effects and cost improvements.
• Developed and implemented a basic Project Management training course aimed at improving the understanding of Project Management and performance analysis (EVM) throughout the enterprise. The course is based on PMI process (PMBOK). Facilitated 50 courses and trained over 500 people.
• As the board member for a Project Management Benchmarking Network have been involved in the development and implementation of instruments for business improvement. Six “self audit” score sheets have been introduced and used for critical processes in Project Management. On an annual basis maintained the Corporate Practice Analysis that investigates company methodology.
• Chairman of the European Aerospace Cost Engineering Working Group. There are over 100 members of the working group from Germany, France, Switzerland, Belgium, Sweden, USA, Italy, Holland, and Spain. Led an international team that developed Capability Model for Cost Engineering.
• Has presented several papers on Estimating Processes and Competence to international symposia.
2000-2009. COST ENGINEERING & PROJECT CONTROL CONSULTANT. COST ENGINEERING SOLUTIONS
Marshall Aerospace. (October 2011 – December 2011) Interim Head of Estimating (3 month contract)
• Review existing organisation and develop optimum estimating organisation to meet business needs effective 1st January 2012.
• Prepare functional governance, policy, process and procedures.
• Introduce consistent tools and techniques into the estimating process.
• Support selection process for new Head of Estimating.
• Selection of candidates for new organisation
• Produce competency matrix, assess team competencies and training needs.
Astrium UK (January 2009 – September 2011)
• Testing and deployment of a Parametric Estimating Database across UK, Germany and France.
• Development of a “Skills and Competence” matrix. The tool will enable Estimators to assess their current competence and determine areas for development.
• Support estimating and proposal tasks on Science Space projects.
• Support activities with a Tri National team aimed at common processes and procedures in cost estimating across the company. Carried out capability assessment of the processes.
Atomic Weapons Establishment (June 2003 – December 2008) On Contract with Franklin & Andrews Framework Contractor
• Interim Cost Engineering Manager.
• Cost and Projects Control Manager across a portfolio of projects within the Science and Research Directorate including business analysis.
• Confidence Modelling, Risk, Estimating, Cost Control, life cycle costs and investment appraisal for a £600+ million research facility.
Astrium UK (2000 - January 2003.)
• Created new Cost Estimating department in business unit, including process and methodology development.
• Job Definition and recruitment of cost estimators including manager.
• Training & development plans for cost estimators.
• Project Control audit. Make recommendations on project control improvement, plan and initiate improvement programme.
• Definition and baseline activities on new multi billion pound turnkey contract.
• Implement a new Project Control Handbook into the Military Business Unit
1995-2000. MANAGER PROJECT CONTROL. MATRA MARCONI SPACE.
• Developed and implemented quality and audit function related to Project Control.
• Responsible for internal Service Level Agreements across MMS.
• Managed implementation of Project Management Information System (Cascade).
• Developed and facilitated course on Project Management methodology based on PMI (PMBOK) and ECSS-M principles.
• Job Definition and recruitment for Project Controllers, Project Accountants, Schedulers and Cost Estimators.
• Training & development plans for Project Control staff (50 people)
• Responsible for annual budget of £2million.
• Introduced new schedule software package (Primavera) and developed “in house” course. Primavera replaced Artemis.
• Identified requirements and managed development of database to develop cost relationships for use in estimating.
• Extensive involvement in the development of risk management. Trained facilitator for risk assessment. Lectures on Risk Management.
• Member of “Gate Review” implementation team.
• Board member for Project Management Benchmarking Network. Introduced improvement activities in Project Management.
• Vice Chairman European Aerospace Cost Engineering Working Group. Led team that developed a Capability Model for Cost Engineering.
• As member of a multi-national management team facilitated integration of cultures into single team.
1990-1995. COST ENGINEERING (Estimating) MANAGER. BAe SPACE SYSTEMS.
• Resource and technical management of all cost engineering activities, for 20 staff, over 2 sites.
• Estimates for all aspects of the “Space” business including satellites, space probes, launch vehicles and ground infrastructure and presentation to board.
• Team member of bi-national programme to reduce project schedules and costs.
• Managed development of an “intelligent” estimating system to give earlier visibility of costs so that cost reduction initiatives could be addressed in a timely manner.
• Responsible for competitive and non-competitive aspects of SKYNET 4E proposal to the UK MOD including customer negotiation and subcontractor selection.
• Introduced concept of target costing to assess potential market prices and flow down of targets internally and to subcontractors.
Prior to 1990
1985-1990. Assistant Chief Estimator. BAeSSL
1984-1985. Project Control Manager Inmarsat II. BAeSSL.
1979-1984. Assistant Group Leader Project Control. Hawker Siddeley Dynamics.
1974-1979. Schedule Controller. Hawker Siddeley Dynamics.
1972-1974. Jig & Tool Designer. Hawker Siddeley Aviation.
1968-1972. Engineering Apprenticeship. Handley Page Ltd
QUALIFICATIONS ENGINEERING ONC, HNC + ENDORSEMENTS 1968-1972. Fellow of the Association of Cost Engineers.
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2019 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
Recruitment agencies are only eligible for a Gold package and recruitment agencies recruiting for companies already using Space Careers will not be accepted.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing email@example.com. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.