Aerospace and Defense Program Manager with recent Business Development and Capture Management experience
Program Executive with extensive experience directing project management and capture teams for engineering and IT projects in the aerospace and defense industry. Broad background in creating and leading teams to identify, market, pursue and implement Complex Systems Integration design and deliver projects, Engineering Support Contracts, CONUS and OCONUS Field Engineering Services and IT Solutions. Managed a portfolio of FFP, T&M and Cost Plus projects for defense and civil agencies, winning customer awards while performing profitably and creating opportunities for skilled individuals to excel. People person with excellent visionary, organizational and management skills.
Organization & management of people, process and tools to reach an objective; cost-effective, process-driven proposal development; carefully planned and managed capture campaigns; effective relationship builder to establish "trusted partnerships;" inquisitive learner with an ability to ask questions to clarify problems and initiate solutions; excellent program planner including the development and use of earned value management systems; proficient in EVMS validation & certification; experienced personnel manager with excellent reputation as a mentor & coach; problem solver; team leader; visionary (see the forest and the trees); strategic planner aligning company objectives with customer needs; personnel coach aligning personal objectives with professional objectives; significant international experience in Southwest Asia with remaining relationships
Business Development Executive, IBM Global Business Services - 2009 - 2012
Creates the overall account strategy to achieve customer satisfaction and assigned growth targets. Develops direct contact with agency executives and manages overall relationship including existing contracts and new business opportunities. Direct technical and financial contract execution responsibility.
• Achieved Customer Satisfaction rating 9/10 and internal IBM Project Management Review rating of "A" for projects by personally engaging project teams bringing the best of IBM to address existing challenges and envision innovative approaches to improving long term performance resulting in a successful recompetes of contracts
• Created Executive level relationships at NASA HQ and Centers, gaining insight into developmental and operational strategies that positioned IBM as a trusted partner.
• Leveraging these new relationships and associated understanding of the agency, built pipeline from $25M to $165M in 2 years; “net new” portfolio
• Re-established IBM's presence at NASA by participating in six relevant national conferences a year, presented eight different papers, and arranged executive visits to further IBM’s understanding of the agency’s challenges
Executive Project Manager, IBM Global Business Services - 2006 - 2009
Executive Project Manager – EVMS PMO
Provide senior leadership for the creation of the Earned Value Management System (EVMS) Program Management Office (PMO) for IBM Public Sector.
• Personally led the initiation of project’s EVMS including tailoring the System Description Document (SDD), training the Executive Leadership and Program Management team and directing the Integrated Baseline Review (IBR), achieving contractual compliance
• Personally led mock validation reviews (including process development and team training) on 3 federal projects in preparation for the validation of the IBM EVMS
Federal GBS Proposal Development Center Leader
Create and manage a proposal development capability including hiring and training people, creating process and acquiring tools to respond to several hundred federal government RFP’s annually.
• Personally created the PDC: hired Proposal Managers, created process documents and supervised proposal development activities including Chairman of “Color” Team Reviews
• Never missed a submission deadline. Never received a "Deficiency Report". Proposals consistently compliant with RFP requirements.
Senior Program Manager, Honeywell Aerospace and Defense - 2002 - 2006
Manage a team of Project Managers to accomplish customer contractual requirements within budget and schedule constraints. Create executive level customer relationships towards achieving customer satisfaction and developing new business opportunities. Represent the program to executive leadership within the company via program reviews and ad hoc status meetings.
• Directed project teams of up to 90 Field Engineers deployed to Southwest Asia to armor and maintain military vehicles for protection from Improvised Explosive Devices (IED)
• Personally directed project execution strategy from initial planning to final close-out
• This CPAF project was completed ahead of schedule and under budget, winning the US Marine Corps Systems Command Six Sigma Project of the Year Award for application of 6б and Lean techniques within a hostile environment.
• Directed Project Managers for project teams in support of Northrop Grumman's Tactical Automation Security System (TASS) installation, training and maintenance.
• Deployed Field Engineers all over the world including South America, Southwest Asia, Greenland and the Continental United States
• This T&M contract met all delivery objectives, achieved significant year-after-year growth
• Recognized by ESC as the Project of the Year in 2005
• Capture Mgr for WRM in SW Asia (international)
• Directed the Project Manager for the management of the Global High Accuracy Trajectory System (GUTS) Satellite Laser Ranging System (SLR). This program designed, developed, tested and deployed SLR hardware and software to a Japanese remote site.
• This was a FFP software and hardware development project with significant customer furnished equipment and an over-baseline cost and schedule estimate at complete
• Took over leadership of the team, re-baselined, re-negotiated and completed ahead of schedule and for predicted profit. Included an extensive (and successful) “overcoming resistance to change” initiative with the project team
Management Consultant, Self Employed - 1992 - 2002
Owner and Primary Consultant 1992 – 2002
Own, manage and execute consulting services for federal systems integrators in and around the Washington, DC area. Expertise included Capture Management, Proposal Management, Management Systems and Program Management. Provided on-site consulting and training both CONUS and OCONUS.
• Served as Proposal Manager for major procurements with complete responsibility for planning and implementation of all submitted volumes, including Technical, Management and Cost for more than 90 proposal teams for various major government contractors
• Developed and taught a Capture / Proposal Management course to Federal System Integration contractors
• Developed and taught a Project Management course for major construction contractors in the US and internationally (Venezuela, Mexico, Australia) with a focus on Earned Value Management for very large programs
• Taught Shipley "Writing Winning Proposals" and "Managing Winning Proposals" courses. Personally developed database to automate the Shipley Proposal Process
• Initially focused on aerospace contractors bidding to NASA and specifically, the GSFC, resulting in several significant wins including the Jackson and Tull acquisition of Code 730 Support Contract, at the time the largest 8A contract awarded by NASA / GSFC
• Responsibility often included author of the Management Volume due to program management experience, aerospace technical background and writing skills
• Never, in 10 years of proposal consulting, received a "Deficiency Notice"
• Presented several papers at conferences on Proposal and Program Management
Program Manager, Fairchild Space Company - 1981 - 1992
FAIRCHILD SPACE COMPANY, Germantown, MD
Program Manager for the Explorer Platform (NASA / GSFC) spacecraft bus development, a $60M Cost-Plus Award Fee program with over 100 hardware and software engineers and a dozen subcontractors assigned. Achieved consistent Award Fee Scores in the Very Good and above range.
Director, Program Control for the Space Company whose primary customer was NASA GSFC. Created capability; directed a staff of 22 including Pricing and Manpower Planning, Schedule Control and the Program Management Information System (Cost Control which included Cost / Schedule Control Systems Criteria (C/SCSC), a formalized earned value planning and reporting system.
Business Development Director-- Capture Manager for NASA GSFC TOMS spacecraft bus opportunity. Created proposal development center in Germantown.
Skill and Competencies
Program/Project Manager for several industries: aerospace, structural steel construction, IT Services
Ran my own proposal management consulting firm, personally managing over 90 proposals to the federal government over a 10 year span. Industries primarily aerospace technical services, aerospace hardware and software development, environmental remediation.
Taught Shipley's "Managing Winning Proposals" and "Writing Winning Proposals" courses while a Shipley Consultant.
Developed and taught my own proposal management course.
Developed proposal development software to parse RFP requirements into a compliant outline and Storyboards with graphics, eventually into draft proposal sections.
Developed and implemented capture plans for aerospace firms including Honeywell's bid to the USAF for the War Reserve Materiel program in Southwest Asia, Fairchild's bid to NASA GSFC for the Total Ozone Spectrometer spacecraft, IBM's recompete of the HR Services consulting opportunity at NASA HQ and others.
Negotiated teaming agreements, price volumes, sat on review teams for proposals, reporting capture status to executive mangement.
Business Development Executive for IBM Global Business Services for two years, selling professional consulting services to NASA and NSF. Personally developed executive level relationships that opened the door to increasing pipeline by 7X in less than 2 years.
Created marketing materials, presented papers at conferences (most recently at the NASA PM Challenge), re-inserted IBM GBS into the aerospace community as evidenced by their new participation in the National Space Symposium and the NASA IT Summit. Responsible for strategic vision. team building, Bid & Proposal budget and key personnel staffing.
Master's Degree in Management (Webster University) 1977-1979
Specific topics included:
Overcoming resistance to change
Bachelor of Science degree in Aerospace Engineering (North Carolina State University) 1969-1972
Designed an attack helicopter as Senior Design Project. Used modeling tools to create airfoil design, thrust and drag profile. Received one of the few "A's" given at NCSU for Aerospace Engineering Senior Design Projects.
Current Location: 17320, Fairfield, PA
Willing to work remotely
Willing to relocate nationally
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2018 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
Recruitment agencies are only eligible for a Gold package and recruitment agencies recruiting for companies already using Space Careers will not be accepted.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing email@example.com. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.