ENGINEERING MANAGER / SPACE SYSTEMS ENGINEER WITH 17 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE
Technical Management, Space Systems Development / Operations, Systems Engineering
Seeking Engineering Director, Chief Engineer, or Technical Lead position. Will consider contract or permanent employment, willing to relocate and/or travel domestic and internationally. Capable and enthusiastic for project scopes ranging from crisis cleanup to enhance and expand.
USD 178,000+ /year* Experienced spacecraft operator
* Engineering management / leadership
* Space architecture design / optimization
* Hardware development / validation / integration
* Customer interaction / industry networking
* Experienced proposal manager
* New business development* Engineering research and development
* Proven program / technical management partnership
* Systems / requirements engineering & analysis
* Mission operations / simulations
* Engineering software development
* NASA “Turning Goals into Reality” Award
* SpaceX “Ass-Kicker” Award
Bachelor of Science University of Washington (Seattle), Aeronautics & Astronautics, 1995
Master of Science University of Washington (Seattle), Aeronautics & Astronautics (Plasma Physics), 1997
Doctor of Philosophy University of Washington (Seattle), Aeronautics & Astronautics (Space Transportation), 2006
SPACE EXPLORATION TECHNOLOGIES - SPACEX (Los Angeles, CA - www.spacex.com) 2010 – Present
Mission Operations / Launch Engineer (2010 – present)
Part of the SpaceX Dragon team, focus on spacecraft / ISS integration, spacecraft integration and operations.
* Mission Control console operator for Dragon spacecraft operations (Communications Coordinator).
* Dragon spacecraft integration with focus on managing RF communications and propulsion checkouts.
* Dragon spacecraft / ISS Integration for NASA Commercial Orbital Transportation Services / Commercial Resupply Services. Implemented enterprise-wide requirements management process / system.
HOLDER AEROSPACE (Seattle, WA - www.holderaerospace.com) 2005 – 2010
Partner / Chief Engineer (2006 – 2010)
One of three equal partners; lead all engineering / technical work for a wide variety of projects. Clients included large traditional aerospace organizations as well as small entrepreneurial space companies, with work funded through NASA, DOE, DOD, and commercial investments. Lead for all in-house engineering development projects.
* Effectively managed multi-million dollar proposal supporting Northrop Grumman Corporation.
* Supported the Boeing Company on a proposal of developing fly-wheel energy storage systems.
* Lead several internal research efforts, including use of automotive oxidizer/fuel sensor technology from motorsports for rocket applications, and a water launched horizontal take-off / landing RLV.
Principal / Senior Engineer (2005 – 2006)
Technical lead for all engineering efforts in support of mostly entrepreneurial aerospace clients. Project manager for complex full-scale aerospace systems testing, with very rapid schedules/time-lines and limited resources.
* Studies on space vehicle fleet reliability / safety supporting Transformational Space Corporation (t/Space).
* Conducted full scale Crew eXchange Vehicle (CXV) drop test for t/Space off the coast of California.
* Launch vehicle performance analyst for t/Space and Blue Origin in support of commercial space programs.
AIRLAUNCH LLC (Seattle, WA - www.airlaunchllc.com) 2006 – 2008
Project Manager (2007 – 2008)
Manager and technical lead of all new launch vehicle development programs, integrating teams of large traditional aerospace companies with small entrepreneurial “New Space” firms and in-house personnel.
* Successfully managed a highly diverse group of subcontractors (traditional and entrepreneurial) on large scale conceptual launch vehicle design program funded under proprietary defense organization.
* Effectively managed full-scale launch vehicle development proposal with 11 subcontractors for funding under proprietary defense organization.
Senior Engineer (2006 – 2007)
Analysis and full scale testing of LOX/Propane & LOX/Methane bi-propellant rocket engines (30,000 lbf thrust), based on self-pressurization (VaPak) technology. Lead launch vehicle performance analyst for QuickReach SLV.
* Developed a sophisticated analysis tool for bi-propellant self-pressurized (VaPak) rocket systems using MATLAB and OTIS; integrating propulsion system / launch vehicle performance analysis & optimization.
* Effectively communicated highly technical information on launch vehicle performance and propulsion system technology; briefing at all levels of the USAFincluding the Chief Scientist and four-star Generals.
ANDREWS SPACE (Seattle, WA & Los Angeles, CA - www.andrews-space.com) 2000 – 2005
Principal Investigator (2003 – 2005)
Project manager and technical lead for a variety of research efforts funded under government contracts. Responsible for schedule & funds management, using Earned Value Management System and subcontractor oversight.
* Developed the Mini-MagOrion pulsed nuclear propulsion concept under NASA/DOE funding; conducted several magnetic implosion experiments at Sandia National Lab’s Z-machine and Saturn machine.
* Developed the Versatile Space Transportation Architecture (VISTA) under NASA Program Constellation Concept Exploration and Refinement (CEnR) funding; extensive systems analysis and optimization.
* Principal participant in the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Reusable Launch System safety working group under AIAA oversight; contributed to developing the AIAA RLV Safety standards publication.
Systems Engineer (2000 – 2003)
Space system engineer responsible for various analysis tasks for both launch vehicles and spacecraft.
* Designed the solar based power system for the Andrews Space Crew Logistics Vehicle (CLV); including array sizing and selection, energy storage systems trades, and power conditioning system specifications.
* Performed conceptual launch vehicle analysis supporting Northrop Grumman funded under NASA’s 2nd Gen RLV / SLI program. Analyzed 30+ launch architectures for performance, operations, and reliability / safety.
* Performed systems / requirements engineering work supporting Orbital Science’s Corporation, funded under the NASA Orbital Space Plane program. Implemented CRADLE application throughout the enterprise.
* Led the development of a Graphical User Interface for the NASA Optimal Trajectories by Implicit Simulation (OTIS) tool; significantly reduced analysis turn-around for all launch-vehicle analysis projects.
* Developed, deployed, and managed a web-based Document Management System (DMS) using HTML, PHP, and MySQL deployed on a Linux server. The DMS allowed file configuration control and sharing for all employees across multiple geographic locations, dramatically improving collaboration.
UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON (Seattle, WA - www.aa.washington.edu) 1995 – 2000
Project Engineer (1998 – 2000)
Project manager / systems engineering lead for university nano-satellite project from onset to Critical Design Review.
* Effectively managed group of 40+ students and coordinated program efforts across three universities.
* Taught several courses on systems engineering and astrodynamics in a university environment.
Research Assistant (1995 – 1998)
Aided in construction & operation of various plasma physics experiments investigating magnetically confined fusion.
* Designed/implemented/operated magnetic diagnostic devices on the Helicity Injected Torus II experiment.
* Contributed analysis tools for the use of coaxial helicity injection current drive on the Princeton NSTX.
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2018 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at email@example.com. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
Recruitment agencies are only eligible for a Gold package and recruitment agencies recruiting for companies already using Space Careers will not be accepted.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.