From November 2002 to now
Software Manager / Head of Interferometer Operations Department
European Gravitational Observatory (EGO), Virgo Gravitational Wave Antenna Project, via Amaldi Cascina (PI) Italy
From Nov 2002: Virgo Software Manager
From Nov 2004: Head of Software Group
• Defined and implemented software development and release management processes embedding Change Management.
• Virgo Software Releases and External Distributions Management. Installation, configuration and testing of external software (mainly from other Gravitational Waves projects).
• Management of Software Archive.
• Implementation/customization/maintenance of Software management tools. In particular: Configuration Management tool, Software Problem Report tool, Automatic Regression Testing tool.
• Managing software integration on Virgo experiment site. Developed regression test suites for the key Virgo Control Software packages.
• Working in close collaboration with the Computing Department for the deployment and management of the Unix based online/offline computing resources (including Linux distributions baseline definition) and for the prevention of information security incidents (Cyber crime, Loss of data, etc.)
Defined shell scripting procedures for relevant disk areas backups (control process logs, configuration database, etc.)
From Mar 2006: Head of Interferometer Operations Department
• Responsible for projects roadmap and budget allocation
• Responsible for the on site operation and maintenance of the Virgo Detector Monitoring & Control System
Technical activities highlights:
• Currently taking care of the Virgo Software Archive porting from CVS to Subversion
• Porting of a problem reporting system based on WREQ (Perl) to MantisBT (PHP, mysql) including the transfer of the existing issues to the new database.
• Integration of LabView within the Virgo Common Software for GUI development. (C)
• Fully developed and put in operation the configuration management tool SCVS made by a thin layer of shell scripts on top of CVS.
• Integration of the automatic regression testing tool TAT with the GNU tool dejagnu. (tcltk)
• Participated to the selection and supporting the adoption of a Control Software Framework (Tango) within the Advanced Virgo Project scope.
From October 2000 to October 2002
Principal Product Engineer
CADENCE Design Systems, System Level Design Division, Sophia Antipolis, France
Product Engineer within the R&D IP Team for the VCC (Virtual Component Codesigner) and SystemC based tools dedicated to HW/SW Co-design. Involved in development of the tools, related IPs libraries (in C/C++) and design methodology support for major customers (in particular ST Microelectronics and ARM). Tools development and support included both Windows and Unix platforms. ClearCase was used for Source Code control.
• Capture of customers requirements
• Specification of solutions addressing customers requirements
• Rapid prototyping of those solutions (using Sh, Perl, TclTk, C),
Led development of tool environment for timing estimation and comparison of SoC Transaction Level models (e.g., in SystemC) against RTL Level models (e.g., Verilog, VHDL). Dedicated Patent (US 6,845,341 B2) : “Method and mechanism for improved performance analysis in transaction level models”. Involved in the redefinition of Cadence System Level Design tools on top of the emerging standard language SystemC. My activities were involving extended periods at Cadence headquarters in San Jose, California, USA and duty travels to major Customer sites.
From July 1997 to September 2000
Software Configuration Librarian / Software Engineer
European Southern Observatory (ESO), Very Large Telescope (VLT) Software Group, Munich, Germany
Control Software for the VLT Interferometer. Development in C/C++ and TclTk on Unix WS, Windows NT PC and Tornado/vxWorks on Motorola VME Boards.
Pilot Project on the Utilization of Object Oriented Analysis and Design tools (Rational Rose) based on Unified Modeling Language (UML)
Customization of a Simulation and Rapid Prototyping Framework tool (Ptolemy) to support C code generation for vxWorks target architecture.
Software Configuration Control Management, Software Integration and Test
Responsible for the set up ( Hardware, Software and Networking ) of the Telescope Control Model used to test the VLT software
Defined the specifications for a Software Problem Report system based on Action Remedy.
Development and maintenance of the Software Configuration Control and Automatic Software Test tools (Sh, Perl, TclTk, Expect, C)
Coordination of System Management support. Definition and testing of standard installation procedure for HP-UX and SUN O.S. and additional cards (ATM, FW SCSI, graphics cards).
Defined and performed software acceptance tests for some of the VLT/VLTI subsystems developed by external contractors.
Supported the final release of the VLTI Delay Lines software at the Fokker Space contractor site in Leiden, Netherlands, for more than 2 months
From July 1992 to June 1997
MAGNETI MARELLI, Engine Control Division, Bologna, Italy
Developed engine control strategies and algorithms using data processing and simulation tool (XMATH, MATLAB )
Developed real time software for engine control. C or Assembler (MOTOROLA micro controllers).
Involved on those specific projects:
• Definition of safety requirements for a "Drive by Wire" application
• Development of a proprietary Real Time Fixed Priority Scheduler
• HW/SW Co-Design and its application to engine embedded controllers.
Utilized CASE tools (Teamwork/CADRE) and Software Engineering methodologies.
Acquired knowledge of laboratory instrumentations ( Emulator, digital oscilloscopes, logic analyser )
From September 1991 to June 1992
SISTEL, Vado (BO), Italy
Developed image processing systems using CCD cameras.
Utilized development systems (PC), cross-compilers and VME-BUS cards (MOTOROLA 68020/30).
Definition and development in 680xx Assembler of Shape description and discrimination algorithms
Education and training
From January 1996 to July 1996
Visiting Scholar, Center for Automotive Research, Ohio State University, Columbus Ohio (USA).
Involved in research activities on physical model based engine diagnostics sponsored by Magneti Marelli. This implied:
• Definition and simulation using Matlab of a simplified Engine model.
• Application of advanced control algorithms for detection of sensor/actuators faults
• Implementation in C code of the model equations and diagnostic algorithms on a DSP based ECU controlling a test engine
• Performed test and data analysis in order to asset diagnostic capabilities.
From September 1990 to July 1991
Master in Information Technology, Major: Hardware Engineering, CEFRIEL, Milan, Italy
Conducted research on Integrated Circuits CAD Systems.
Developed a Programmable Logic Array design environment.
From October 1983 to July 1991
Degree in Electronic Engineering, University of Bologna
Italian (mother tongue), English (Fluent), French (Fluent), German (Fair).
Social skills and competences
Ability to communicate at all levels. Presented specific engineering achievements / status of a complete scientific experiment at international conferences
Good ability to adapt to multicultural environments, gained though work experience abroad (USA, Germany, France, Netherlands)
Organisational skills and competences
Acquired ability in conflict management and dispute resolution while enforcing project wise software standards.
Currently acting as Technical Coordinator for the European MaRs Analog Station for Advanced Technologies Integration Project (ERAS) for which a FP7 call proposal has been submitted. The ERAS Command, Control, and Communication (C3) Subsystem will be based on the Tango Software Framework. See: http://www.erasproject.org/images/erasc3systemdachsteintestsreport.pdf
Technical skills and competences
15+ years experience on Software Management and Software Quality
Developed embedded and distributed control software in C/C++ for 15+ years on a variety of platform: HP-UX, Solaris, Linux, VxWorks, LynxOS and bare-metal.
Experience on software development methodologies at Software Manager / Group Leader level
Extensive experience on software verification methodologies and integration testing
Experience on system integration on virtual prototypes and target hardware
Knowledge of control software frameworks like EPICS, ACS, Tango and LabView
Expertise in System Level Design - HW/SW Co-design methodologies, languages (SystemC) and tools
Knowledge of laboratory instrumentations (digital oscilloscopes, logic analyser), instruction set simulators and in-circuit emulators
Computer skills and competences
Programming languages: C, C++, tcltk, Perl, PHP, Python, LabView, SystemC
Very strongly skilled on unix shell scripting
Revision Control:, ClearCase, CVS, CMM, git, RCS, SVN
Build Automation and Packaging: Makefile templates, CMT (www.cmtsite.org), the GNU build system (Autotools), RPMs
Problem Reporting: MantisBT, WREQ, Action Remedy
Data processing and simulation tools: XMATH, Matlab, Octave
Good command of Microsoft Office™ tools
Other skills and competences
Science and Technology Coordinator of the Italian Mars Society no profit organization
Married, One child.
Completed military service as Army Lieutenant. (07/1984 -10/1985). Duties: Mortar platoon Commander.
Actively interested in space exploration, astrophysics, reading, cycling, hiking and traveling.
References supplied on request
F.Carbognani et al., Applications of Sliding Mode Observer to Automobile PowerTrain Diagnostic, CCA/ISIC/CACSD Conf, Deadborn IL(USA) Sep. 1996
G.Filippi, F. Carbognani, Software Practices used in the ESO Very Large Telescope Control Software, ICALEPCS Conf, Trieste Italy, Oct. 1999
G. Filippi, P. Sivera, F. Carbognani, Software Engineering Practices for the ESO Very Large Telescope, ADASS Conf, Boston USA, Nov. 2000
F.Carbognani et al., VLTI test siderostats: design, development, and performance results, Proc. SPIE Vol. 4006, p. 99-103, Interferometry in Optical Astronomy, Jul 2000.
Alain Clouard, Giorgio Mastrorocco, Franco Carbognani, Antoine Perrin, Towards Bridging the Precision Gap between SoC Transactional and Cycle-Accurate Levels, DATE Conf, Paris France, March 2002 (EDAA Designers Forum best paper award)
F. Carbognani, C. K. Lennard, C. Norris Ip, A. Cochrane, P. Bates, Qualifying precision of abstract SystemC models using the SystemC Verification Standard, DATE Conf, Munich Germany, March 2003
F. Carbognani, J. De Wet, Engineering practices for the EGO Virgo Project, SPIE Astronomical Telescopes and Instrumentation 2004 Conference, Glasgow Scotland, Jun 2004
F. Carbognani, et al., Automation of the Lock Acquisition of the 3 km Arm Virgo Interferometer, ICALEPCS 2005 Conference, Geneva Swiss, Oct 2005
F. Carbognani, et al., Software Engineering for the Virgo Project at EGO, ICALEPCS 2005 Conference, Geneva Swiss, Oct 2005
F. Carbognani, et al., The Status of Virgo, ICALEPCS 2007 Conference, Knoxville TN, USA, Oct 2007
F. Carbognani, B. Lopez, D. Sentenac, A GUI Builder Environment based on LabView for the Virgo Project, ICALEPCS 2007 Conference, Knoxville TN, USA, Oct 2007
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2018 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at email@example.com. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.