Candidate has almost 15 years of experience in computational physics and numerical techniques applied to astrophysics and space physics problems. He has developed data assimilation techniques for heliophysics and inner magnetospheric research. He invented a new method of calculating radiation belt drift shells using a neural network technique. The new method is several orders of magnitude faster and has been submitted to the U.S. Patent Office. The applicant is leading the IMPACT project (Integrated Modeling of Perturbations in Atmospheres for Conjunction Tracking) which the goal to develop a physics based upper atmosphere model for satellite drag calculations. The candidate is also leading the data assimilation effort for the DREAM project. He is PI on several NSF and NASA funded project to advance radiation belt forecast models. The candidate has authored and co-authored over 50 scientific publications and served on several review committees for NSF, NASA, LDRD, and the Canadian Space Agency. He has organized and chaired sessions at international conferences including the American Geophysical Union and is currently serving as editor for the Journal of Geoscientific Model Development. He established and is directing the Los Alamos Space Weather Summer School to bring highly qualified graduate students to Los Alamos.
Ph.D. in Astrophysics: Rice University, 5/2004
M.Sc. in Physics: University of Innsbruck, 7/2000
M.Sc. in Astronomy: University of Innsbruck, 8/2000
3/2011 – today Director of the Los Alamos Space Weather Summer School
10/2005 – today Staff Scientist, ISR-1
5/2004 – 10/2005 Postdoctoral Research Associate, ISR-1
6/2001 – 5/2004 Graduate Research Assistant, X-1
8/2000 – 5/2004 Graduate Research Assistant, Rice University
7/1999, 9/1998 Visiting Operations Astronomer, ESO, Chile
Honors and Awards
9/2011 LAAP Award for establishing the Space Weather Summer School
9/2010 LAAP Award for Contributions to the Space Nuclear Protection Program
5/2004 William and Elva Gordon Fellowship, Rice University
12/2000 Award for Scientific Research, University of Innsbruck
8/2000 William Marsh Rice Fellowship, Rice University
11/1999 Dean’s Fellowship of Natural Sciences, University Innsbruck
· Developed data assimilation methods and radiation belt models supporting national security; developed predictive capabilities for space weather and space situational awareness; studied physical processes in the radiation belt; developed new radial diffusion codes with ensemble Kalman filter to estimate physical parameters.
· Invented new technique replacing time-consuming drift shell integrations. Method is based on a surrogate model using artificial neural networks. Calculation Time Reduction: 5-6 orders of magnitude. Patent application is pending.
· PI on NSF funded project “Machine Learning and Data Assimilation for Real-Time Radiation Belt Forecasting” with the goal to provide a new radiation belt forecast module for NOAA – Space Weather Prediction Center.
· PI on NASA funded project “A New Drift Shell Integration Technique for Inner Magnetospheric Space Weather Models”, Living with a Star – Targeted Research & Technology.
· PI on LDRD-DR funded project “IMPACT – Integrated Modeling of Perturbations in Atmospheres for Conjunction Tracking”, FY12-14, $5.3 Mio
· J. Koller, S. Zaharia (2011) “LANL* V2.0: global modeling and validation”, GMDD, 4, 575-594
· J. Koller, G. D. Reeves, R. H. W. Friedel (2009) “Modeling of the Radiation Belt Magnetosphere in Decisional Timeframes”, USPTO patent application
· J. Koller, G. D. Reeves, R. H. W. Friedel (2009) “LANL* V1.0: a radiation belt drift shell model suitable for real-time and reanalysis applications”, GMD, 2, 113-122
· J. Koller, Y. Chen, G.D. Reeves et al (2007) “Identifying the Radiation Belt Source Region by Data Assimilation”, Jour. Geophys. Res., 2007, 112, 6244
· J Koller, R. Friedel, G. Reeves (2006) „Radiation Belt Data Assimilation with a Kalman Filter“, LA-Report LA-UR-05-6700
· G. D. Reeves, R. H. W. Friedel, Y. Chen, J. Koller, M. G. Henderson (2008), in Proceedings for the “Advanced Maui Optical & Space Surveillance Technologies Conference”, Maui, HI, Sept 16-19, 2008 “The Los Alamos Dynamic Radiation Environment Assimilation Model (DREAM) for Space Weather Specification and Forecasting”
· Director of the Los Alamos Space Weather Summer School
· Topical editor for the Journal of Geoscientific Model Development
· Regular reviewer of publications for scientific journals (Space Weather, Geophysics Research, Annalae Geophysicae, Computational Science, Earth Planets and Space)
· Member of review panels for NASA, NSF, LDRD, Canadian Space Agency
· Session chair and organizer of several space weather related AGU Fall Meeting sessions in 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2019 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
Recruitment agencies are only eligible for a Gold package and recruitment agencies recruiting for companies already using Space Careers will not be accepted.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing email@example.com. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.