Experienced Aerospace Engineer, Research Scientist, and Program Manager with P&L responsibility on a diverse set of spacecraft development, aerospace research and economics analysis efforts.
AEROSPACE ANALYSIS GROUP LEAD, Sept 2006 –Present
Aurora Flight Sciences Research and Development Center, Cambridge, MA
Manage team of Aerospace Engineers supporting ~10 R&D programs at 2 sites. Drive team to contribute on business development efforts to grow Aerospace Analysis Group and R&D center project portfolio. Organize tasking to ensure adequate resource utilization. Conduct recruiting and interviewing of new hires.
Grew Aurora Flight Sciences CubeSat business from $100k/year to $750k/year in revenue. Managing $3M spacecraft development for DARPA.
* Successful in turn around of orphaned program by examining system capabilities, aligning goals with DoD interests, and building customer support resulting in continued development funding. Familiar with DoD, NASA, and commercial market.
* Leverage synergy between multiple spacecraft development programs to maximize value to customers and company profit.
* Arrange teaming and negotiate subcontracts, plan programs, compiled costs, produce proposals to expand portfolio.
Program Manager on development of ESPA-class Small Probes for Orbital Return Of Experiments spacecraft
* Authored winning STTR proposal with Georgia Tech. Oversaw Phase I execution including overview of ISS compliance, propulsion system design, and entry heating and trajectory analysis.
* Co-author on 2 conference papers on entry, descent, and landing and system design.
Leading expert on the economics of climate geoengineering using. Drove technical and programmatic direction of highly publicized geoengineering analysis requiring creation and integration of engineering and economic models.
* Managed multidisciplinary team of engineers to design, plan operations, and model costs of airplanes, airships, rockets, artillery, and other exotic systems for Geoengineering.
* Generated financial models to estimate the R&D, Testing, and Procurement costs for Geoengineering systems. Modeled direct and indirect operations costs and calibrated estimates based on airline annual report data.
* Leveraged iSight optimization tool to integrate design tools, financial models, and data visualization tools assembled in Matlab and Excel to conduct cost-driven, multidisciplinary aircraft and airship design optimization.
* Interviewed on National Geographic TV show. Panelist at MIT Sustainability Summit.
AEROSPACE SYSTEMS ENGINEER, Sept 2004 –Sept 2006
AeroAstro Inc., Boston, MA
Gained skills in spacecraft design and spacecraft mission design. Contributed to numerous proposal efforts and presented designs and engineering analysis to government customers.
* Performed space mission design and constellation optimization using Satellite Tool Kit.
* Researched free-molecular flow and hypersonic aerodynamics to build credible in-house aero-thermal reentry and ablation expertise.
* Developed Matlab software to model disturbance on spacecraft.
* Wrote test procedures for testing of STPsat-1.
Worked with international customers as Support Engineer for AeroAstro’s a GPS and Globalstar satellite communications based Sensor Enabled Notification System (SENS).
* Troubleshot system problems on AeroAstro’s SENS system.
* Documented customer requirements for custom MySQL/PHP web data portals. Translated customer requirements and issues to programmers and monitored implementation progress of updates and fixes.
Boston University College of Engineering; Brown University School of Engineering
Lecture BU senior design class on industry application of their skills in spring and lecture Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering students on composite structures in engineering in fall. Give spring lecture on Rocket and spacecraft design to Brown students in Machine Design class.
Selected PUBLICATIONS, Press, Interviews
D. Kordonowy, N. Fitzgerald, J. McClellan, “Multifidelity Modeling Framework for Bayesian-Based Multidisciplinary Aircraft Design Optimization,” AIAA 14th Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, Indianapolis, Indiana. 17th Sept. 2012
J. McClellan, D. Keith, J. Apt, “Cost Analysis of Stratospheric Albedo Modification Delivery Systems,”Environmental Research Letters 7 034019, April 2012
MIT Sustainability Summit, “Geoengineering: Can we do it? Should we do it?” 2012.
Industry expert on geoengineering for panelist discussion.
D. Spencer, N. Baurer, M. Nehrenz, J. Kelly, J. McClellan, “Small Probes for Orbital Return of Experiments” 50th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, Nashville, Tennessee. 10th Jan. 2012
B. E. Tweddle, J. Francis, J. McClellan, G. Vulikh, D. W. Miller, “Relative Vision Based Navigation and Control for the Mars Sample Return Mission: Capturing the Orbiting Sample,” 4th International Conference on Spacecraft Formation Flying Missions & Technologies, St-Hubert, Quebec. 19th May 2011
E. Smith, R. Sedwick, J. Merk, J. McClellan, “Assessing the Potential of a Laser Ablation Propelled Tug to Remove Large Space Debris,” AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets (under review)
“Geoenginering: Lift-Off”, The Economist 2010, Nov. 4th
Results of my Geoengineering study, including summary graphic, presented in article.
National Geographic Channel, “Earth Overhaul.” 2010, July.
Interviewed as industry expert on the economics of Geoengineering.
Boston University, School Of Management, Boston, MA
Executive MBA Candidate (June 2013)
Boston University, College of Engineering, Boston, MA
Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering (May 2004)
MATLAB, Stata (statistical analysis),
Solidworks (3D CAD Modeling),
Xfoil, ASWing (aircraft desgin),
Microsoft Excel (custom VBA Macros), Project, SharePoint
Twitter, Facebook, FourSquare WordPress
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2018 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)562211007 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)562211007.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)562211007 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
Recruitment agencies are only eligible for a Gold package and recruitment agencies recruiting for companies already using Space Careers will not be accepted.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing email@example.com. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.