Master of Space Science (Passive Microwave Radiometry)
Prospective Graduate System Engineer
Summary of relevant skills
• Strong analytical skills, with a background in Physics, Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics
• Experienced with MATLAB, Python and Fortran in a Linux environment
• Theoretical and numerical analysis including Mathematical modelling
• Programmed a rocket trajectory model that simulated the effect of a wind profile on the trajectory
• Passion for space related activities, including giving tutorials on the use of STK
• BasicMandarinproficiency (HSK 4). Having lived in four countries in the past five years I have an understanding of several cultures, added to by my time with the International Space University.
System Engineering Intern July-October 2013
Astrium, Stevenage UK
· Updating a systems engineering wiki, testing and verifying usefulness to the business
· Studying the systems engineering documentation to produce useful easy to use reference materials
· Working on validation and development of the Operation register for Solar Orbiter.
English teacher, Framlingham, UK July 2013
· Taught English to European teenagers for summer camp
Financial Administrator August-Dec 2012
Bopen Butta, Zimbabwe
· Responsible for financial tracking of company and balancing the books
· Tracking and liaising with creditors and debtors to ensure cash-flow was acceptable
· Training new employees to the IT company and ensuring they were content
· Going out on calls during busy periods to attend to customers
Masters in Space Technology Teaching Assistant Feb-May 2012
South African Astronomical Observatory
· Worked with the lecturer to ensure successful learning experience
· Ran tutorial workshops for STK and exam preparation.
Physics and Maths Tutor and examiner 2010-2011
University of Cape Town
· Attended afternoon tutorials to guide students struggling with the concepts of engineering maths
Junior programmer intern Dec 2010 - Feb 2011
MeerKAT/SKA project, Cape Town
· Programmed a digital down-converter in Python, in order to seamlessly process a feed of data files
· Improved my skills with python
Network Technician June-Dec 2009 and earlier university vacations
Bopen Butta, Zimbabwe
· Programmed databases in MS Access including SQL and VBA macros for clients and Bopen Butta
· Configured modems and routers for wired and wireless LAN networks and Installed network cables
· Wrote documentation for clients
English as a foreign language teacher China and England various schools June 2008-May 2009
Physics tutor University of Cape Town 2007
· Tutored scientific methodology, including how to use Excel and Python to analyse data
International Space University, Space Studies Program June-August 2012
Florida, U.S.A. ESA and NRF funding
· Took courses about most areas of the Space Sector
· Worked with the Management and Business Department
· Took part in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths Education team project
University of Cape Town, Masters in Space Science 2010-2012
South Africa NASSP funding
· Coursework included Magnetohydrodynamics, Space and ionospheric Physics and Space Technology
· Programmed models for ionospheric physics and for a rocket launch project in Space Technology
· Dissertation was a literature review of the Passive Microwave Radiometer instruments in space
· Presented a poster for the IEEE IGARSS session in Munich
Oxford British Studies Centre, CELTA May 2008
· Intensive course to prepare to teach English as a foreign Language to Adults
University of Cape Town, BSc Hons Theoretical Physics Feb-Dec 2007
· Both Astrophysics and Physics courses taken
· Broad overview of the state of the art of Theoretical Physics
University of Cape Town, BSc Physics and Astrophysics 2004-2006
· Did courses in Statistics, Applied and Pure Mathematics
· Used MATLAB extensively, with some courses using Fortran and Python
Prince Edward School, A’levels and O’Levels 1998-2003
· A’levels in Physics (A), Mathematics (B) and Chemistry (B)
· 12 O’level passes including 7 A grades (French was a pass)
Review of current radiometer technology with suggestions for future South African satellites
University of Cape Town, 2012 Authors: George Calder-Potts, Michael Inggs (Supervisor)
Master’s dissertation on a technology demonstrator satellite with a passive microwave radiometer payload.
A space-borne passive microwave radiometer for the space program of a developing nation.
IEEE IGARSS, 2012 Authors: George Calder-Potts, Michael Inggs (Supervisor) University of Cape Town
This is a poster and paper for the 2012 Munich IGRASS.
Space: One giant leap for education
International Space University, August 2012 Authors: George Calder-Potts, et al. (33 Authors)
The final report and executive summary from the STEM team project at the Space Studies Program 2012.
ISU/ESA and NRF scholarship to attend SSP12
UCT scholarship 2011
NASSP scholarship for Masters in Space technology
Dean's Merit list 2004, 2006
Junior colours for sailing in Zimbabwe
Team captain for bridge
School colours for Bridge and Squash
I have moved back to the UK after studying abroad. Space opportunities were a significant factor in my returning. Analysis is one of my strong suits and has served me well throughout my degrees. I enjoy mathematics and using maths to solve a problem. I have done both qualitative and quantitative analysis.
I enjoy working in a team as can be recognised from a rocket launch project in July 2010 where I was the theorist for the engineering team. I also worked in several teams during the Space studies program in Florida.I am very involved in the space association in South Africa being on the committee for the South African Space Association. I have joined UKSEDS and plan to join the inter-planetary society and get involved in projects. I participated in the winning team of the Space catapault hackathon.
Designed database systems for the family business (Bopen Butta) in Harare to make the company run more effectively and worked closely both with the management and the staff to ensure that that the solutions provided were comfortable for all concerned. I also designed and implemented a wiki for AET11 group at Astrium Stevenage. Network troubleshooting and repair is another area I have experience.
Learning Chinese which is a fascinating language and the culture gives insights into different approaches to life. I have started learning German. Other hobbies include reading, squash, go, bridge and karate. I have sailed for Zimbabwe. Social events are fun and a great time to meet friends and get to know people better.
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2018 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)562211007 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)562211007.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)562211007 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
Recruitment agencies are only eligible for a Gold package and recruitment agencies recruiting for companies already using Space Careers will not be accepted.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing email@example.com. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.