A senior mobile and fixed satellite services industry professional, with in excess of twenty years proven leadership, business development, management and sales skills, as well as extensive experience of organisational turnaround, strategy formulation, business change, organisational transformation, operations and marketing. An exemplary track record of business, strategy and target achievement in demanding and diverse environments. Professional Director, recognised through election to Fellow of Institute of Directors in 2008.
· Extensive Government and Military (UK, NATO, USA DoD, Australian and other Nations) strategic and tactical sales experience and extensive industry contacts and knowledge. Well known and respected with the Satcoms marketplace
· Direct and diverse experience of strategic leadership, solution sales, business development, general management, organisational turnaround, top and bottom line growth, and mergers & acquisitions
· Exemplary strategic analysis of the organisation, economic environment, marketplace and products in order to develop the company’s short and long term strategy, set the “go-to market” plans, lead the team and maximise competitive advantage
· Definition and implementation of business transformation and change management programmes in sales & marketing, operations, business development and associated functions in pursuit of corporate objectives. Proficient in allocating resources to ensure maximum Return on Investment for the organisation
· Excellent management, communication, contractual and negotiation skills. Have consistently built loyal, motivated and committed teams in all roles. Extensive management experience of large and small teams (4-45 staff)
· Strategic and practical sales and business development experience of solution sales in Government, Military, aeronautical, land and maritime sectors. Wholesale and direct sales experience with full responsibility for pricing, promotion, distribution and resultant profit
· Consistent attainment of sales targets and strategic objectives
· Multinational and cross cultural experience and leadership skills, having worked within and across Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia Pacific and the Americas
· “Greenfield” experience of setting up, growing and developing new functions and operations to exploit and capitalise on market opportunities
· UK and NATO “SC” Security Cleared. UK CPNI Space Committee Member, UKspace Security and Defence Committee member
Vice President, Defence & Enterprise Sales Jun 2011-Present
Avanti Communications Group plc. (AIM:AVN)
I was head-hunted through a personal relationship with the COO to define, establish, set strategy and grow Avanti’s direct Security and Defence business in a market not previously addressed by the company. I have developed upon existing and extensive business relationships to raise awareness of, and to identify opportunities for, Avanti in this specialised sector. This activity has included engagement with the UK MoD, NATO NCIA procurement agency, (and the NATO Member States), the US DISA Defence procurement agency and the USA General Services Agency, Future Comsatcom Services Acquisition (FCSA) organisations. I have successfully penetrated the UK MoD Satellite Networks team, (notwithstanding the Paradigm Services concession) and developed personal relationships at all levels within the MoD to Air Chief Marshall level. Similar engagement has been achieved with the Australian and South African Defence Forces. I have been recently elected into the British Wireless Dinner Club, an organisation for ex-UK military Signals Officers as one of only a few Industry members. Current responsibility -
· Targeting sales of Beyond Line of Sight (BLOS) Ka-Band satellite services to UK MoD, NATO, United States Department of Defense and other national MoD’s and Agencies on a global basis
· Responsible for all sales and business development strategy and activity for Security & Defence Business Unit (SDBU)
· Management of four direct reports
· Responsible for achievement of multi-million pound sales target, and all divisional profit & loss
· Act as Defence expert within Avanti Communications.
· Member of the Senior Management Team, assisting in at the overall corporate strategy and direction of the organisation
In early 2012, I was asked to establish the Enterprise market sales team, with a similar remit to that of the Defence sector.
Head of UK, NATO & European Institutional Sales Oct 2009- May 2011
Secure Satcom Systems, EADS Astrium Services
I was head-hunted to refocus and commercialise the UK Military and NATO sales team and introduce professional business development methodologies. I was responsible for market evaluation, development plans and increased sales of aeronautical, maritime, land and enterprise satcom services, terminals, and systems to UK MoD, (direct and via Paradigm Services), Other Government Departments, (OGD’s), NATO and European Defence Institutions (i.e. European Defence Agency, European Space Agency and the European Community). This challenge was delivered through entrepreneurial flair, effective account management and business development programmes, and professional management of the UK and NATO business development team. The role included responsibility for full sales cycle activity through direct and indirect channels. Key achievements -
· Achieved 2010 target of €30 Million
· Business development lead for all Airborne (Mantis, Scavenger, Watchkeeper) and Ka-Band service programmes (Athena-Fidus, Avanti, Yahsat)
· Full sales, bid and project profit & loss responsibility. Managed team of five direct and 13 indirect staff
· Responsible for divisional sales and marketing strategy and €40 Million Sales Order Intake in 2011
· Developed full understanding and experience of UK MoD and NATO’s complex procurement processes
Business Director, Telecommunications and Navigation Mar 2008-Oct 2009
VEGA Aerospace and Defence (A Finmeccanica Company)
I was head-hunted to lead global Telecommunications and Navigation Business Unit focussing on the Upstream satellite market. I was responsible for all sales and business development within Aerospace and Defence sectors focussing on Military and Civil Telecommunications client base. Key achievements -
· Exceeded 2008/9 Financial year target of £ 15 million
· Set, developed and led strategy and management of multimillion pound bids and resulting programmes, e.g. Yahsat Network and Key Management Facility systems wins
· Successfully sold satellite consultancy, information technology and managed solutions services
· Led business development programme for VEGA’s European Galileo Navigation Full Operational Capability (FOC) bid for System Support and Operations contracts. Was responsible for the win campaign, bid activity and sales capture strategy
· Extensive dealings with the European Space Agency, ESA, and the European Defence Agency, EDA
· Held full divisional profit & loss responsibility
Head of Business Development, SatComms Oct 2006 - Mar 2008
Logica, Space and Defence Division
I was responsible for establishing and growing a new business development group focussing on Military and Civil SatComs client base. Key achievements -
· Recruited new Business Development team
· Led sales of IT Consultancy, Systems Integration, Ground Segment, OSS and BSS systems and Secure Multicasting solutions. Achieved target of £ 6 Million.
· Set sales strategy and development plans for Logica’s global Satellite Communications operations
· Introduced satellite service provision portfolio, (Iridium and Inmarsat satellite airtime services)
· Served as Chairman of Integrated Satellite Initiative (ISI) Future Internet Working Group, an EC backed Internet provision over Satellite project
Managing Director, Redwing Satellite Solutions Ltd Feb 2005 - Sep 2006
VSAT Satellite Services Division of Bandwidth Technologies International Group Ltd
· Stabilised and grew under-performing business unit. Increased sales by £ 3 million
· Managed UK, Middle East and South African operations
· Obtained 4th place in World Teleport Association’s fastest growing (revenue) Teleport 2005 survey
· Undertook organisational restructure (22 Staff members)
· Achieved sales growth predominantly through indirect channels throughout EMEA region
· Led eventual sale of business to Canadian competitor
& Business Development Director
Bandwidth Technologies International Group Ltd
I was responsible for group sales, marketing and new client acquisition strategy and implementation. Key achievements -
· Led development and implementation of new vertical and geographic market penetration plans and activity (predominantly via channel partners, but also direct)
· Introduced new mobile and fixed satellite products and services into service portfolio
· Developed organisation restructure and implemented strategic growth plans
Business Development Consultant, Europe Mar 2004 - Jan 2005
Iridium Satellite LLC, Washington, USA – European Region
I was responsible for the strategic and operational analysis of Iridium’s then current sales and distribution strategy. I developed and implemented an organisational and distribution restructure within maritime and land sectors. This was a consultancy contract position at request of the then Iridium CEO
Vice President, Sales and General Manager, EMEA Jan 2001 - Mar 2004
Stratos Global Corporation, Washington, USA, (City of London based)
I was recruited as part of the Stratos acquisition of BT’s Aeronautical & Maritime division to run the EMEA Mobile Satellite Services (MSS) Business. This required exemplary entrepreneurial, business and leadership skills as I was the most senior member of the management team outside the USA, thereby working remotely from the head Office. Key achievements -
· Delivered regional profit & loss performance ($100 million Revenue, $ 25 Million EBITDA) and held responsibility for all sales, marketing, HR and general management functions within EMEA market
· Directed, managed and developed the strategic, operational and sales functions within defined geographic and vertical markets
· Managed five business unit Directors ultimately responsible for a team of 35 sales staff selling fixed and mobile communication, voice, data and software solutions, to Military, Media, Aeronautical, Maritime and Enterprise (Land) sectors. Achieved through direct and indirect distribution channels
· Set the sales and marketing strategy for the region as well as providing input to the company’s global strategic options, direction and competitive stance development
· Defined, directed and led continual management and sales change programmes in pursuit and support of Global organisational growth
Strategic project responsibilities:
· Led the EMEA team in the successful integration of the BT Aeronautical and Maritime business into Stratos, post-acquisition in January 2001 to include HR, IT, service, operations and finance functions
· Defined, introduced and developed process improvement practices in operations and customer services for EMEA region
· Represented EMEA region on Stratos global merger and acquisition committee
· Led EMEA sales and marketing due diligence process throughout 2003 as the company looked to acquire a major competitor in the industry
Head of Commercial Sales - Satellite Services Division Sep 1998 - Dec 2000
Commercial Sales Manager - Satellite Services Division Jan 1997 - Aug 1998
Account Director - Satellite Services Division Aug 1996 - Dec 1996
British Telecommunications plc. (BT), London
· Led sales management of Inmarsat Mobile Satellite Communications services on a global basis, including secondments in Asia Pacific and North America
· Dealt with user community through to Board Directors in the target organisations, in positions which involved extensive worldwide travel
· Grew existing revenues from the global marketplace in double-digit terms. Consistently exceeded multi-million pound targets
BT Commercial Sector Sales – Account Director Apr 1993 - Jul 1996
· Managed Property and Construction related accounts
· Consistently achieved against a £6-8m P/A revenue target
BT Commercial Sales, Southern Home Counties – Account Manager Jul 1992 - Mar 1993
· Achieved 150% of target for fiscal 1992/93 year
BT Southern Home Counties, TAM Unit - Telephone Account Manager Mar 1991 - Jul 1992
· Maximised telephone sales from a 2-5 line customer base within a designated territory across all industry sectors. Achieved 150% of year-end target
Barclays Bank – Accelerated Management Programme Jul 1987 - Jul 1990
Education, Qualifications and Affiliations:
RAF, Air Warfare Centre, Cranwell - Military Applications of Space 2010
Member Institute Engineering and Technology (MIET) 2008
Fellow of the Institute of Directors, (FIoD) 2008
Master of Science, Organisational Psychology, University of Kent at Canterbury 2007
Master of Business Administration, Business School, University of Surrey, Guildford 2002
Major: Corporate Strategy and Business Transformation
Member of the Institute of Directors, (MIoD) 2000
BA (Hons), Business Studies and Applied Psychology (2:1) University of Kent at Canterbury 1998
Chartered Institute of Banking Diploma (ACIB) 1989
3 A-Levels, 11 O-Levels Norton Knatchbull Grammar School, Ashford, Kent 1982 - 1987
Date of Birth: 13th October 1968 (43)
Marital Status: Married, 1 Son, 1 Daughter
Hobbies/Interests: Psychology, cycling, reading, mountain trekking, motor sport, charity work. Former Special Police Constable
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2018 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at email@example.com. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
Recruitment agencies are only eligible for a Gold package and recruitment agencies recruiting for companies already using Space Careers will not be accepted.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.