* 25 years experience, in RF-microwave hardware/systems engineering for satellite/wireless communication applications
* Experienced in payload systems engineering for Geo-spacecrafts: develop payload architecture, Payload RF budgets, lead and oversee the procurement, integration and test of satellite communications payload
* Design and analysis of communications systems for satellite and interplanetary applications. Familiar with analyses such as link budgets, gain/loss budgets, noise figure, linearity, spurious, etc.
* Conceive and develop solutions to analytical, design, and test problems that program(s) experience
* Collaborate in preliminary and advanced design studies and prepare portions of satellite payload proposals
* In-depth knowledge of RF product development, from initial design conception to qualification / production.
* Skilled in collaborating with suppliers, internal engineers, and production management. Strong hands-on leader recognized for attention to details, organizational skills, innovative problem solving, and product and project success. Experienced in effectively working in a cross-functional or matrix kind of team
* Hands on experience in evaluating RF functional blocks. Extensive Laboratory testing, optimization and troubleshooting with hands on experience with Spectrum Analyzers, Network Analyzers, Power meter, VSA etc.
* Extensive experience as engineering coordinator for large volume (200,000 / year) production of Radio assy's.
* Experience in the development of RF Transmit section for GSM Handset using GaAs HBT PA's.
* Communicate circuit and system designs, goals, and performance through documentation and presentations.
* Development experience in GaAsFET Power Amplifiers in the Satcom Bands. Well versed with various types of active/ passive microwave components. Experience with microstrip circuit design and simulation tools like ADS. Experience in layout, impedance matching, and optimization, troubleshooting of RF circuits
* Generate component / subsystem level specifications and verification test plans at the module/subsystem level. Familiar with Hardware Configuration Management process and practices
MSEE (Wireless Communications), Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore MD. 2002
BS in Electronics & Communication Engineering, Coimbatore Institute of Technology, India, 1987
TOOLS: Microwave CAD software - HP ADS, TSpice, MW Office.Familiar with Mathcad, Visio, Matlab; Extensive use of MS Excel as a tool for organizing, documenting and presenting the RF test data
September 2010 to present &: Senior Principal RF Engineer, Orbital Sciences Corporation Dulles VA
June 2006 to April 2009
* Payload RF systems lead for Geo satellite programs for customers like Measat, Azerspace, SES & Optus
* Develop RF system performance requirements and flow down to detailed component specifications
* Evaluate and assign applicable units properly to ensure best system performance of the satellite payload.
* Lead and oversee the mechanical and electrical design, integration, test, and in-orbit checkout of satellite communication subsystems. Ensure internal coordination among comm. systems engineering, component engineering and Integration/Test engineering
* Perform vendor survey for RF subsystems and support down to selection and contract negotiation. Subcontractor management and manufacturing interface definition including performance specification, interface control drawing, and statement of work generation, as well as continuous technical support throughout the procurement life cycle.
* Write detailed unit-level and spacecraft-level test plans, procedures, and oversee development of automated test scripts to ensure functional testing verifies and validates all subsystem performance requirements
* Track and trend RF subsystem and component performance parameters through spacecraft assembly, integration, environmental and in-orbit test. Review and interpret system level test results to ensure compliance to contract requirement
* Analyze/resolve failures in test and service, sometimes without recourse to intense theoretical studies and tests
* Present effectively at customer design reviews such as PDR, CDR, PSR etc
* Participate in generating responses to RFP for spacecrafts, with particular reference to Payload RF systems and capacity calculations
April 2009 to September 2010: Lead Communications Engineer, MITRE Corporation, Mclean VA
* Lead the Test and Evaluation of Wideband Microwave Receiver from several vendors, to identify a state of the practice replacement of an existing Receiver forming a part of a large system.
* Link budget study & analysis, develop several Excel based simplified link budgets and urban fading models to aid the Hand Held Terminal feasibility study for a WCDMA based global satellite system.
* Investigate the performance of WiMAX equipment in the presence of simulated Radar interference.
* Extensive Lab test and measurements to characterize the front end inter-modulation performance and filter characteristics of a tactical radio
December 1998 to June 2006: Senior Technical Staff, Hughes Network Systems, Germantown, MD.
* Hardware Project Lead for the development, management and sustaining the production of C, Ku &Ka band RF Transmitters
for broadband satellite systems of HughesNet and Spaceway.
* Management of 1W and 2 W Ku band Radio product development leading to production.
* Oversaw vendor engineering, qualification, and delivery of custom microwave components.
* Supervised and delegated design responsibilities for project team.
* Apprised executive management of product recurring and non-recurring costs and development progress
* Generate specifications at components and sub system level
* Principal interface for project team of mechanical, power supply, ASIC, and production engineers.
* Budget specifications to microwave components from overall system requirements and to assess the impact of specification variations in the signal chain.
* Characterize/qualify RF components like PA, VCO, amplifier MMICs, and co-ordinate with vendors for specification control, multiple sourcing and cost reductions.
* Proto type/troubleshoot VSAT Radios for desired performance. Develop Design Verification and System Test Plans and document the test results. Qualify the radio performance for corner lots of key components.
* Perform design changes due to component failures/obsolescence/alternate vendors and generate engineering change notifications. Qualify any new replacement components and perform regression design verification tests
* Close interaction with the System integration group and provide support to identify and troubleshoot
* Developed test plan and schedule for test engineers/technicians and analyzed test result statistics to ensure high manufacturing yields. Automated standard test routines to reduce product qualification cycle.
* Transitioned product technology into production and provided support, guidance, and leadership as required for product manufacturing and test. Completed cost reduction program that reduced radio recurring cost by 33%.
* Gateway RF Systems and Integration Lead for Thuraya Geo-Mobile system: System level verification and close co ordination with the software and firmware engineers to implement the various power calibration mechanisms properly, and carry out the segment level tests.
September 1996 - December 1998: Lead RF Systems Engineer, Wireless Communication Division
Rockwell Semiconductor Systems (now part of Skyworks), Newport Beach, California.
* Design of the RF Transmit section of the Dual band GSM/DCS and PCS1900 handset reference design from block schematics, feasibility study, and design review up to implementation.
* Characterization of the various vendor parts like PA's, GaAs MMICs for T/R Switching, Dual band Diplexers
* Prototyping of Evaluation boards and work closely with with layout engineers for RF layout
May 1989 to August 1996: RF Program Manager, Center for Development of Telematics, Bangalore, India
Lead Engineer/Program Manager for the development of RF subsystems (Outdoor Units) for VSAT terminals.
* Design and Development of 5W and 10W GaAsFET SSPA's in the C and Ku bands
* Management of RF transceiver development and oversee progress of overall circuit and system development.
* Responsible for installing, testing & commissioning the RF Hardware for the HUB station
October 1987 to May 1989: RF Engineer, Indian Space Research Organization, Ahmedabad, India
Fabrication, characterization, testing, optimization and space qualification of C Band and Ext-C Band GaAsFET Power Amplifiers (SSPA's), for the INSAT-2 Satellite Communication Payload.