Sep 2006-Sep 2012 Honorary Research Fellow
Department of Civil, environmental and Geomatic Engineering
University College London, UK
Nov 2001-Jul 2005 PhD in Remote Sensing
Thesis Title: “Generic Rigorous Model for Along Track Stereo Satellite Sensors”
Under award by Aristotelis Onasis Foundation
Department of Civil, Environmental and Geomatic Engineering
University College London, UK
Oct 1997-Oct 1999 Bachelor degree in Rural and Surveying Engineering
Grade 8.2/10-Graduated first
National Technical University of Athens, Greece
Sep 1987-Jun 1991 Bachelor degree in Greek Military Academy, Greece
Grade 18.9/20-Graduated first
Sep 1984-Sep 1987 Bachelor degree in Mathematics
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece
Aug 2006-present Space Policy Office
Greek Ministry of Defence (MoD)
General Directorate of National Defence and International Relations
- Authoritative political and technical advisor in Space domain.
- Political advisor in geospatial information policy, including the implementation of INSPIRE directive in the MoD.
- Technical advisor in studies related to programming, exploitation, analysis and dissemination of military satellite imagery.
- Advisor in the realization of HELIOS-II and MUSIS programs in Greece.
- MoD representative in multinational military earth observation satellite programs (HELIOS-II, MUSIS,CERES) steering committees and Working Groups(Technical, MoU).
- MoD representative in ESA-Greece Task Force during transaction period.
- MoD representative in Task force meeting between EC-ESA-EDA for Civil-Military synergies in Earth Observations
- MoD representative in national high level committees related to Space policy,GNSS and SatCom.
May 2005-Aug 2006 Head of Geospatial Information Directorate
Greek Army General Staff-Greek Military Geographical Service
- Projects leader related to the field of Remote Sensing, Photogrammetry and GIS.
- Member of national committees of EU funding Geospatial information projects.
Nov 2004-May 2005 Head of Personnel Office
Greek Army General Staff-Geography Directorate
Oct 1999-Oct 2001 Remote Sensing Officer in Geospatial Directorate
Greek Army General Staff- Greek Military Geographical Service
- Exploitation and analysis of High Resolution Optical Satellite Images.
- GIS and Cartographic projects.
Oct 1994-Oct 1997 Student in Military Geography School
Greek Army General Staff
Greek Military Geographical Service
- Course and field work in frame of transformation to Military Geography officer
Jul 1991- Sep 1994 Signal Army Officer
Greek Army General Staff-Signal Directorate
November 2001-September 2012
- Principal Investigator on ISPRS-ISRO Cartosat-1 Scientific Assessment Program of ISRO and ISPRS.
- Co-investigator in the Calibration/Evaluation team of Japanese ALOS-Prism Sensor.
- Senior researcher on EU funded Operational Program for Educational and Vocational Training (EPAEAEK) at the National Technical University of Athens
- Researcher in the SPOT5 – HRS Scientific Assessment Program (HRS-SAP) between CNES and ISPRS.
- Researcher in the Centre of the Observation and Modeling of Earthquakes and Tectonics (COMET) which is a collaborative project of the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge and UCL funded by the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC).
Scientific International meetings and journals with reviewers
- Michalis P., 2012. Wavelet Transform in Remote Sensing with Implementation in Edge Detection and Noise Reduction. In: Daras N. (Eds.), Application of Mathematics and Information in Military Science, vol. 71, Springer, pp. 135-150.
- Dowman, I.J., Michalis, P., Zhenhong, Li, 2010. Analysis of Urban Landscape using Multi Sensor Data, 4th ALOS PI Symposium, Tokyo, Japan .
- Nikolakopoulos K., Tsombos P., Michalis P., 2008. Spatial resolution enhancement of ALOS data for Geological Mapping. ALOS Joint PI Symposium 2008, Rhodos-Greece, 3-7 November 2008, 2008.
- Michalis P., Dowman I.J., 2008. Exterior orientation improved by the coplanarity equation and DEM generation for Cartosat-1. The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, Vol. XXXVII, Part B1, Commission I. pp 1301-1308.
- Michalis P., Dowman I.J., 2008. ? generic model for along track stereo sensors using rigorous orbit mechanics. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing,74(3):303-309.
- Noutsou V., Argialas D., Michalis P., 2007. Edge detection of man made objects using wavelet domain in high resolution satellite images. ASPRS Annual Conference 2007, Tampa. Proceedings on CD-ROM.
- Michalis P., Dowman I.J., 2006. Sensor Model evaluation and DEM generation for Cartosat-1. The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, Vol. XXXVI, Part 4, Commission IV. On CD-ROM.
- Michalis P., Dowman I.J., 2006. ?n improved model for along track stereo sensors using rigorous orbit mechanics and Navigation Data. The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, Vol. XXXVI, Part 1, Volume A, PS1-11, Commission I. On CD-ROM.
- Michalis P., Dowman I.J., 2005. ? model for along track stereo sensors using rigorous orbit mechanics. ISPRS workshop on High Resolution Earth Imaging for Geospatial Information, Hanover. Proceedings on CD-ROM.
- Michalis P., Dowman I.J., 2004. A rigorous model and DEM generation for SPOT5-HRS. The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, Vol. XXXV, Part B1, Commission I. pp 410-415.
- Dowman I.J., Michalis P., 2003. Generic rigorous model for along track stereo satellite sensors. ISPRS workshop on High Resolution Mapping from Space 2003, Hanover. Proceedings on CD-ROM.
Scientific International meetings
- Argialas D., Karatzalos K., Mavratza O., Tzotsos A., Noutsou V., Michalis P., 2007. Current methods of image processing and computer vision for edge detection of man made objects. National Chamber of Greece. Conference on Remote sensing development and implementation.
- Dowman I.J., Michalis P., 2006. ALOS-PRISM Sensor Model Evaluation based on Keplerian Motion. ALOS 5th Calibration-Validation meeting October 2006, Tokyo.
- Dowman I.J., Michalis P., 2006. Sensor Modelling of ALOS-PRISM. Theoretical Issues and Initial Study. ALOS 4th Calibration-Validation meeting July 2006, Tokyo.
Military journals and meetings
- Michalis P.,1999. Supervised Classification of Multispectral Satellite Image Using Principal Component Analysis. Bulletin of Hellenic Military Geographical Service.
- Michalis P.,1999. Orthocorrection of panchromatic IRS-1C images and fusion with Landsat images. Bulletin of Hellenic Military Geographical Service.
- Michalis P.,1997. Elements of Valuation of Geomagnetic Stations Using Linear Models. Papers of the 4th Common Conference of NATO Working Group of Geodesy and Geophysics and Military Topographic Services of PfP Countries.
International meetings with reviewers
- Michalis P., 2007. The MUSIS Common Requirement Elaboration/Working Group Experience. 2nd International Conference-Military Space: Questions in Europe, Paris. Proceedings on CD-ROM.
Mother tongue Greek
Other language English – Proficiency of Cambridge
Computer skills Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office, Remote Sensing, GIS, Photogrammetry and Mathematical software. Official training on ERDAS Imagine, ArcGIS, Helava SocetSet, ImageStation SSK, Oracle Administration Portal Server.
References Upon Request
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2020 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at email@example.com. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.