I have a Ph.D from the University of Edinburgh in astrophysics and instrumentation, specifically in development and integration of novel adaptive optic systems and the formation and evolution of massive star clusters. I have performed complex mathematical simulations and analysis on large data sets, have an in depth knowledge of instrument development and scientific method, and an ability to tackle problems from a range of angles. I have worked effectively as part of large multi-national teams towards instrument development, accurate analysis and coherent presentations, while meeting strict deadlines. I have also carried out large individual projects driven by self development and self motivation. After completing my Ph.D, I embarked on a self-funded 2 year trip around the world. During this time I worked for 5 months at a stockbrokers as head of IT and data security.
Sept 2010 University of Edinburgh Ph.D Title: Adaptive Optic Demonstrators for Extremely Large Telescopes
July 2006 Leicester University MSc Physics and Space Research and Space Technology, Grade 2:1 (69%)
MSc project title: Medical Applications of Nanotechnology (78%)
BSc project title: Detecting Radon in order to discover sub-surface water on Mars (67%)
Swindon New College - A-Levels: Maths(A), Physics(C), Philosophy(C)
Nov 2011- Capital 19 Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia April 2012
• IT Manager, developing and maintaining company website using PHP, MySQL, and Git for source control. Included data capture, automatically updating Yahoo finance stock data, automated email response, embedded blog, and administrator interface for easy use and updating by inexperienced users. Also analysed online analytics and incorporated into website.
• Created a commercial website using Ruby on Rails. Included a merchant bank account for online payment and registration. Used a three tier privilege access system, personal share portfolio creation with automatic price updates, and automatic email updates on new articles.
• Wrote compliance rules to ensure the company follows strict governmental guidelines on financial transactions, information, and data security. Also put in place procedures in the event that compliance rules are breached, and created data security protocol.
Sept 2006-April University of Edinburgh and Royal Observatory of Edinburgh April 2010
• Carried out laboratory testing and integration of novel adaptive optic systems, planning and carrying out specific tests. Programmed atmospheric simulations to carry out theoretical and specification performance tests. Completed data analysis projects on large data sets.
• Provided customer services for the astronomy help-line. Answered telephone questions and replied to the public’s questions through email and letters on varying astronomy and atmospheric physics matters. Also involved website maintenance (HTML).
• Delivered astronomy tutorial lessons and supervised physics laboratory sessions for undergraduate students, including marking.
Sept 2004 & Sept 2005 & Leicester University, Physics and Astronomy Department
• Devised lesson plans for undergraduate courses, including implementing the newly devised problem based learning classes.
• Created promotional booklets and posters on the science carried out within the department. Jun-Sept Zurich Financial Services Ltd, Swindon 2003
• Worked on the Zurich mainframe, setting up accounts for new employees.
Programming and Technology Experience
Instruments - Have worked on the multi-object adaptive optic demonstrator (CANARY), a N-IR multi-object spectrograph (EMIR), proto-type pick and place positioner (Starpicker), and analysed the performance of the multi-conjugate adaptive optic demonstrator (MAD).
IDL - Produced complex mathematical simulation including Fourier Transforms, time series analysis, cross-correlation functions, vector and image manipulation, monte carlo simulations and other statistical analysis. Also constructed and analysed large (+10Gb) data sets.
Websites - Designed, delevoped and maintained production websites using PHP. Developed commercial educational website for stockbroking company using Ruby on Rails. Stored encrypted personal data following merchant bank and national data storage standards using MySQL.
Other - Have used Linux command line for 6 years. Used Python for small data analysis projects and instrumentation programs. Produced multiple publications in LATEX and am well versed in astronomy package IRAF. Completed Java course and currently learning C++ in more depth.
Data Analysis - I have extensive data analysis experience. This includes programming complex mathematical Analysis simulations for predictive analysis, handling large data sets, and testing and analysing novel instrumentation performance and integration.
Communication - I have developed clear and strong communication skills working within large multi-national, inter-disciplinary teams where understanding a range of view points while having the confidence to project personal view points is vital. I have presented scientific methodologies and results at international conferences, conveyed complex scientific ideas after gauging the level of understanding through the public astronomy help-line, and designed and tutored undergraduate courses.
Time Management - When working within astronomical instrumentation I brought together multiple components of the project at the same time and on tight deadlines, developing efficient organisation and time management skills. This was equally true when self-managing highly successfully individual projects which ran concurrently.
August 2009 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Conference: International Astronomical Union - XXVII (Poster presentation - Title: Imaging the dense stellar cluster R136 with VLT-MAD)
June 2009 ESO, Garching, Germany, Conference: MAD and Beyond (Oral presentation - Title: MAD Observations of R136)
March 2009 University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Pedagogical seminar (Title: Adaptive Optics: Atmospheric Parameters)
June 2008 Marseilles, France, Conference: SPIE - Astronomical Instrumentation (Poster presentation - Title: Performance of the Multi-object Adaptive optics Demonstrator)
Feb 2005 Institute of Physics, London, Conference: Problem Based Learning (Title: Problem Based Learning - From both a course developer and student perspective)
Scholarships and Awards
August 2010 The Cormack Postgraduate Prize
Jan. - Sept Marie Curie Fellowship 2008 (8 months working at the Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias in Tenerife)
June 2006 STFC Research Ph.D Scholarship (4 years)
June 2011 Adaptive Optic Demonstrators for Extremely Large Telescopes University of Edinburgh
Feb 2010 VLT-MAD observations of the core of 30 Doradus MNRAS, 405, 421
July 2008 Imaging the dense stellar cluster R136 with VLT-MAD SPIE, 7015, 5
References Supplied on request
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2019 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
Recruitment agencies are only eligible for a Gold package and recruitment agencies recruiting for companies already using Space Careers will not be accepted.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing email@example.com. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.