SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Accomplished guidance, navigation, and control engineer with 17 years of research and industrial experience designing, implementing, and testing algorithms, software, and simulation tools for space vehicles. Proven track record of leading the technical effort to implement GN&C subsystems from preliminary design through integration and test for new space companies and NASA. Significant projects include:
* Designed and coded the on-board attitude determination and orbit navigation modules for the Cygnus advanced maneuvering spacecraft, which has flown several successful missions to the ISS.
* Developed the GN&C subsystem architecture and 6-DOF simulation environment for the Bigelow B330 space habitat.
* Designed the attitude determination and control system for NASA Goddard's Magnetospheric Multiscale Mission (MMS), a constellation launched in 2014 and currently operational.
* Acted as one of the original architects of the attitude determination and control system design now used on Orbital Sciences' entire fleet of successful GEOStar commercial geosynchronous communications spacecraft.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
• Spacecraft Attitude Control and Estimation • Modeling and 6-DOF Simulation
• Nonlinear and Robust Control • Trajectory Optimization
• Mission Operations • Orbit Determination
• Structural Dynamics • Kalman Filtering
• Flight Software Development • MATLAB/Simulink, C/C++, UML, Unix, SVN, CVS, Git
Lead Engineer, Avionics Group
Firefly Space Systems - Austin, TX
March 2016 to Present
* Lead engineer for the Alpha launch vehicle autonomous flight termination system (AFTS). Manage schedule, manpower, and budget.
* Develop AFTS architecture, define subsystem requirements, perform hardware component trade studies, and code safety-critical software.
* Interface with the FAA and RCC to acquire launch license.
Guidance, Navigation, and Controls Subsystem Lead
Bigelow Aerospace - Las Vegas, NV
January 2015 to January 2016
Bigelow B330 Space Habitat
* Acted as sole GN&C subsystem engineer in the company. Defined GN&C concept of operations, system architecture, and requirements.
* Developed a 6-DOF simulation and analysis tool from the ground-up. Designed propellant optimal phase-plane attitude controller.
Bigelow Expandable Activity Module (BEAM)
* Developed mathematical model of BEAM deployment dynamics and performed monte carlo analyses.
* Gained approval from the NASA Space Station Program Control Board (SSPCB) that BEAM may safely deploy on the ISS.
* Authored the procedure that was used by the ISS astronauts to expand BEAM on-orbit.
Sr. Principal Engineer, GN&C Group
Orbital Sciences Corporation - Dulles, VA
March 2009 to March 2013
Gravity and Extreme Magnetism Small Explorer (GEMS) Spacecraft
* Lead GN&C analyst for the GEMS program. Directed the on-board attitude control, estimation, and orbit determination design.
* Successfully led the GN&C subsystem development through the critical design review milestone ahead of schedule and under budget.
Cygnus Advanced Maneuvering Spacecraft
* Designed, coded, and tested the on-board attitude determination and orbit navigation modules. Flight code was written in C++ using a UML framework.
* Vehicle has flown several successful missions to the ISS.
Sr. Principal Engineer
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (Contractor) - Greenbelt, MD
January 2008 to March 2009
Magnetospheric Multiscale Mission (MMS)
* Developed the 6-DOF, high-fidelity simulation tool used for the MMS constellation control system design.
* Designed the primary on-board attitude determination system.
* Spacecraft was launched in 2014 and is operational.
Sr. Principal Engineer, GN&C Group
Orbital Sciences Corporation - Dulles, VA
1998 to 2008
Contributed to the attitude determination and control design of most Orbital Sciences' spacecraft over a 14-year period. Have performed roles as both lead GN&C subsystem engineer and technical expert. Highlights include:
Lead Attitude Control System Engineer, NSS-9 Spacecraft
* Acted as lead ACS subsystem engineer for the NSS-9 geosynchronous commercial communications spacecraft, currently operational.
* Managed analyses required for milestone reviews, software verification testing, schedule, and budget.
Far Ultraviolet Spectroscopic Explorer (FUSE) Spacecraft
* Devised innovative, real-time optimal slew guidance algorithm which enabled science mission to continue well past design life and after three out of four reaction wheels had failed.
* Optimal slew guidance scheme increased feasible science target window from 1% to 70% of nominal mission window.
GEOStar Commercial Communications Satellites
* Designed and implemented the primary and back-up gyroless attitude determination system for Orbital's first three-axis stabilized commercial communications satellite.
* Attitude control and estimation design is now being used on Orbital's entire product line of orbiting geosynchronous communications spacecraft.
Sensor Calibration Software Package
* Developed an alignment Kalman Filter tool used to estimate on-orbit sensor alignment and biases in redundant gyros and star trackers from telemetry.
* Ground software has successfully been used to calibrate the Orbview-3, DAWN, AIM, and NuSTAR spacecraft.
* Led the development of the image mode command software in the mission planning system.
* Spacecraft began acquiring 1 meter panchromatic and 4 meter multispectral imagery in 2003.
Engineer, Structural Dynamics Group
General Dynamics Space Systems - San Diego, CA
1989 to 1992
Member of the team which designed the Atlas/Centaur class commercial launch vehicles. Performed spacecraft coupled loads analyses using NASTRAN and DMAP. Developed a 6-DOF analysis tool used to compute launch vehicle and spacecraft loads during critical maximum dynamic pressure gust event.
1998 Aerospace Engineering (Control Theory)
Doctor of Philosophy, - The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX
* Dissertation: Linear Parameter Varying Representations for Nonlinear Control Design
* Performed doctoral research under Jeff Shamma.
* Coursework included all topics in applied mathematics, statistical estimation theory, robust & optimal control, and flight dynamics.
1988 Aerospace Engineering
Master of Science, - Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, Blacksburg, VA
1987 Aerospace & Ocean Engineering
Bachelor of Science, - Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, Blacksburg, VA
L. Carter and J. Shamma, Gain-Scheduled Bank-to-Turn Missile Autopilot Design Using Linear Parameter Varying Transformations, AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 19, No. 5, Sept.-Oct. 1996.
* Certificate of Appreciation, Radarsat-2 Program, Orbital Sciences Corporation.
* Graduate Research Fellowship, Air Force Office of Scientific Research.
* University Fellowship Award, The University of Texas at Austin.
* Pacesetter Award, General Dynamics Space Systems Division.
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2021 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will set up an account for you and invoice you, but in this case, access to our website will be granted only after payment has been received. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing email@example.com. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.