Degreed mechanical design engineer with 10 years of experience as a project manager, team leader and individual contributor. In-depth knowledge of space flight systems. Experience in structural and thermal analysis. Skilled at developing designs from initial concept through design reviews and testing to production of qualified production hardware. Excellent at targeting designs to meet internal as well as customer requirements. Specific experience in designing to NASA safety standards. Highly capable as a hands-on engineer from test set-up and execution to integration of flight hardware.
Space Vehicle Design, Test and Construction Super Stable Structures
Project Management, Team Leadership and Problem Solving Solar Power Arrays and Telescope Optics
Carbon Fiber Composites Kinematic Flexures
Electro-mechanical motion systems
3D CAD: Siemens NX - 2 yrs, SolidWorks - 10 yrs Hands-on Building/Testing
LabView, MathCad, MS Project Structural Design and Thermal Modeling
Finite Element Analysis: NASTRAN, ANSYS, CosmosWorks ASME 14.5 GD&T
SpaceX – Hawthorne, California 2012 – 2013
Private space-launch company that designs, manufactures and launches vehicles to orbit. Current vehicles are the Falcon 9 launch vehicle can deliver satellites and spacecraft to LEO and GTO orbits and the Dragon capsule, which has delivered equipment to the International Space Station and returned equipment to earth.
Mechanical Engineer, Payload Accommodation
· Designed, tested and produced on-orbit payload release systems.
· Reduced cost and complexity on systems by interpreting and clarifying NASA requirements.
· Coordinated payload interface requirements with payload developers and NASA program managers.
· Developed pneumatically controlled zero shock release and capture system for robotically (SSRMS) extracted payloads – led design from concept to customer PDR in 8 months.
· Produced 3D CAD models and detailed production drawings of components in NX 7.5 (Unigraphics).
· Analyzed designs for static and dynamic structural response in Femap/NASTRAN and ANSYS.
· Identified high-risk design of customer-supplied payload 30 days before launch.
· Successfully negotiated modification of payload with payload developer and NASA to prevent possible catastrophic damage to the launch vehicle. Received SpaceX “Ass-Kicker” award for initiative and leadership on this issue.
· Tested and troubleshot existing designs during integration campaign. Found solutions to problems uncovered during testing that reduced risk and kept project on schedule.
· Worked closely with production teams to perform fabrication, acceptance testing, and final integration of designs into flight vehicles.
· Personally installed and torqued bolts to be removed during an EVA by ISS astronauts.
· Coordinated internal design requirements and inter-system impacts with the structural, avionics and thermal analysis groups.
· Designed and analyzed composite platform to support standard FRAM based payloads.
· Performed testing to evaluate the strength of custom composite inserts.
· System designs based on combining both external (NASA) and internal performance requirements.
Mechanical Engineer, Thermal Dynamics
· Manned and unmanned thermal systems design.
· Designed AC ducting from conceptual layout to flight hardware in 3 months to support Enhanced Powered Cargo contract.
· Developed innovative concept to provide cooling to the manned capsule during re-entry operations.
· Performed trade studies to select cooling systems for manned capsule.
· Coordinated top-level requirements between Operations, Avionics and Thermal groups to develop system level requirements for the manned capsule.
· Developed cooling plan that reduced the power required by 75% from initial estimates.
· Performed thermal system sizing calculations by hand to scale systems before they were included in the complete vehicle level thermal model.
Thirty Meter Telescope – Pasadena, CA (4-month contract) 2011
· Calibration of high-accuracy axial load cells.
· Develop and build the world’s optical largest telescope.
· Design and construction of fixture to apply isolated linear load to load cells.
· Performance testing of the Primary Mirror Segment Support Assembly.
Zia Design Group – Santa Fe, NM 2010 – 2011
Engineering consulting firm, providing mechanical engineering services to technical startup companies.
· Designed, fabricated and tested a micro-fluidics device for RNA-based testing for flu virus
· Developed test bed and prototype systems for an acoustic focusing blood cell separator
· Created a model for a commercial hot water boiler system and investigated optimization of temperature control algorithms
HYEC/IMTEC (Division of 3M) – Los Alamos, NM 2002 – 2009
Engineeringservices company providing contract mechanical engineering services to government and private industry customers.
Manager of Engineering Services Group (2008 – 2009)
Managed team of 7-9 engineers, designers, and analysts. Responsible for daily job tasking, overall project management, and business development. Major Projects Include:
PHENIX Vertex Detector
· Managed design, delivery and scheduling to meet schedule and budget requirements
· Designed super stable support structure using very high modulous carbon fiber composites to meet stringent requirements for stability and mass
· Performed finite element analysis (FEA) to determine heat transfer, thermal distortion and liquid flow rate on cooling system
· Optimized carbon fiber orientation in non-symmetric composite layups
· Created system-level FEA models to evaluate overall deflections and resonant frequencies
· Coordinated closely with production shop to facilitate successful construction of all detector parts.
Thirty Meter Telescope
· Built full scale prototype of the segment support assembly
· Performed full range of performance and reliability tests
· Developed feasibility concept for the tertiary mirror and submitted design and build proposal in partnership with Boeing and The University of Arizona
· Designed a hybrid electro-mechanical/hydraulic actuator for support and figure correction of the tertiary mirror
Mechanical Engineer (2005 -2008)
Responsible for design, analysis, project management, fabrication, and testing. Major projects include:
Thirty Meter Telescope
· Performed conceptual and detailed mechanical design of segment support assembly for the world’s largest optical telescope (492 hexagonal glass ceramic segments)
· Designed a fully adjustable, repeatable interface to main telescope structure with micron accuracy
· Designed an automated “warping harness” to induce figure corrections in segment
· Selected electro-mechanical actuators for high resolution control of the warping harness
· Investigated deformations and stresses in mirror segment due to CTE mismatch of mounting components
· Researched high accuracy positioning systems for overall segment position control
EMCORE Solar Power Array
· 25 kW concentrated photovoltaic solar power array
· Designed drive system to position 25,000 lb payload with accuracy of 30 arc-min
· Developed cost and schedule for installation of ≈ 80 arrays
· Developed modular mounting system for photovoltaic cells
FlashCT X-Ray Inspection Systems
· Responsible for entire life cycle for line of high speed industrial computed tomography systems
· Build individual machines from the ground up – direct hands on assembly to supervision of technicians
· Pioneered work in converting 3-D scan data into parametric solids
· Designed and assembled precision motion control systems
TRUPACT III Waste Inspection System
· Developed Conceptual and Preliminary design of X-ray inspection system for large containers of radioactive waste
· Created budgets and schedules for 3 year $3.5 million effort
Alaska Space Grant Program, Fairbanks, Alaska 2000 – 2003
Cooperative between NASA and The University of Alaska – Fairbanks to support students in the design, construction and launch of sounding rocket missions.
Mechanical Design Team Leader
· Designed sounding rocket structure to meet NASA specifications
· Hand built final launch vehicle, including machining of many individual components
· Produced detailed drawings of all mechanical components
· Collaborated with personnel from NASA and researchers from Tokai and Toyama Prefectual Universities i
· Attended conference in Japan as a representative of Alaska Space Grant Program, 2001
· Performed FEA using CosmosWorks to verify strength of payload frame
· “Advancement of the Segment Support System for the Thirty Meter Telescope Primary Mirror”
SPIE Astronomical Telescopes and Instrumentation Conference, June 23-2 , 2008 (contributing author)
· “Development of the Primary Mirror Segment Support Assemblies for the Thirty Meter Telescope”
SPIE Astronomical Telescopes and Instrumentation Conference, May 24-31, 2006 (contributing author, presenter)
· “Effect of Hole Drilling Parameters on the Accuracy of Residual Stress Measurements for ESPI Hole Drilling”
BSSM International Conference on Advances in Experimental Mechanics, August 27-29, 2002 (contributing author)
University of Alaska, Fairbanks, AK– B.S. Mechanical Engineering, 2003
Boise State University, Boise, ID 1991 – 1993
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2020 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at email@example.com. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.