May2012 - present
October 2006 – May 2012
SEA House, Building 660,
Bristol Business Park,
Coldharbour Lane, Bristol. BS16 1EJ.
April 2001-October 2006
GNSS Project Office,
Centre Spatiale de Toulouse,
31401Toulouse Cedex 4,
September 1999 – April 2001
I-21020 Ispra (VA),
September 1997- Sept1999
May 1992 – September 1997
P.O. Box 16, Filton, Bristol.
January 1990 – May 1992
May 1988 – January 1990
Wessex Water Authority,
Quay House, Bath, United Kingdom
Education and training
August 1983 – May 1987
University College of Wales,
Penglais Campus, Aberystwyth,
Dyfed United Kingdom
October 1980 – June 1983
University College, Cardiff
Park Place, Cardiff, United Kingdom
October 1978- July1980
Farnham College, Morley Road, Farnham, Surrey, United Kingdom
September 1973- July1978
Weydon County Comprehensive
Farnham, Surrey,United Kingdom
· Experienced and adaptable systems engineer and manager responsible for integrating complex hardware and software systems;
· Co-ordination of Projects involving teams of Industrial and Institutional partners;
· Engaged, team player focused on delivery of the best technical result within the budgets and timescales allocated;
· Used to working on multi-national projects, living outside the United Kingdom with some knowledge of Swedish, French and –limited- Italian.
· Currently a Capability Manager overseeing 36 staff supporting annual project turnover of 12M€/annum, with associated bid qualification & proposal delivery;
· Participated in preparing Statements of Work, evaluation of the resulting proposals and oversight of large European projects as part of an Institutional customer team;
· Looking for a new challenge to build upon technical & business management skills, preferably where these can be applied to meaningful applications.
Space Division Capability Development Manager
Building from the Ground systems role, described below, managing a team of 36 engineers in a matrix structure, responsible for staff development, productivity & recruitment for flight electronics projects. Also responsible for peer review of design & process improvement.
Ground Systems Programme Manager, Aerospace Division,
· Bidding opportunity qualification, assembly of teams, cost estimation & clearance and the co-ordination of proposals for complex bids with values up to 1.5M€, achieving a 40-50% success rate, based upon a “Shipley” approach;
· Supporting project managers in the delivery of 1.8M€/annum turnover and reporting to senior management with respect to project status, cash flow and risk management using processes adapted from “Prince2”;
· Managing the people under my responsibility, including recruitment, career development, evaluating performance against meaningful targets & salary review;
· Project management, including Co-ordinator of I2GPS, an EU-FP7 Project with seven partners in five countries developing equipment and conducting field trials on the integrated use of GPS and SAR interferometry for landslide detection.
AIV Systems Engineer
Oversaw the system level integration, verification and initiation of the operational qualification of EGNOSthe European Space-based augmentation system for GPS in preparation for certification. Reporting to the System Manager key activities were:
· Development of a traceable qualification file (TRAC) to provide clear mapping between verification activities and requirements, following my identification of deficiencies in the proposed industrial approach at Critical Design Review;
· On site customer representative during system factory integration and testing, co-ordinating feedback from other members of the ESA project team, concerning the planning, execution and acceptability of the overall test programme;
· Metric based evaluation of verification and integration progress, based upon numbers of tests exercised, mapping of non-conformances (and regression testing) versus sub-system releases and reflecting outcomes in the TRAC;
· Development of a System Verification and Qualification Policy, governing testing and introduction of upgrades into the system, making operational elementsavailable for testing whilst maintaining service continuity.
Temporary Agent/ Auxiliary Agent, Space Applications Institute.
Lead a team providing technical support to the Transport Directorate General during the definition phase of the Galileo navigation system, overseeing the industrial contract, liaison with the ESA, preparation of the initial High Level Definition Document and supporting negotiations concerning co-operative development with Russia.
The High Level Definition Document summarised the project mission at a synthetic level and was used to support the proposed Directive at Council and was maintained as a reference document for subsequent Galileo development. Delivered in only two weeks, it required understanding of the system envisaged and the customer needs to extract the relevant information from a large underlying document.
Visiting Scientist, Centre for Earth Observation.
Worked as part of the Prime/ customer team to perform the technical management of the integration and system acceptance of INFEO, a web-based interoperable catalogue server, delivering dynamic html from a miSQL database.This included liaison with all contractors, oversight of operational testing and subsequent development of a simplified user interface, using a prototype strategy with pilot users.
Principle Systems Engineer.
Conducted reliability, failure modes and safety analysis for Hubble Space telescope Solar Array (STSA) including participation to NASA Safety reviews. This lead on to the preparation of Contingency Operations Procedures and participation in mission operations during four Servicing Missions. Other work involved liaison between a Prime systems team co-located in Versailles to ensure a consistent approach with the project team back in Bristol and a number of feasibility studies for distributed data processing systems, space craft missions and instrument design.
Image Processing Analyst, NRSC Ltd.
Worked as part of a small business unit for the end to end production of EO data images to meet customer needs. This included estimating and bidding, processing, delivering and even billing customers for the resulting maps and data products. Other work included requirements capture for a data archive and writing the User Manual for a PC based satellite data receiving system.
Followed the solar array blanket manufacture for the STSA quickly developing an understanding for photovoltaic cells and their thermal and mechanical behaviour. This included design supervision of electrical performance testing and led on to revising the System Description Manual.
Developed information management and telemetry monitoring software for internal company use.
Ph.D “An Alternative Physical basis for the Interpretation Of Complex Resistivity Data for Use in Mineral Exploration”
Developed models for analysing complex resistivity data based upon the assumption that permittivity and permeability could not be neglected.
BSc (Hons): Geophysics (II.1)
Foundations: Mathematics, Physics, Geology and Mineral Exploitation
Detailed study: Geophysical exploration (gravity, magnetometry, seismology etc.)
“A” Level: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry.
“O” Level: Geology
“O” Level: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography
English Language, French.
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2018 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at email@example.com. We will set up an account for you and invoice you accordingly. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
Recruitment agencies are only eligible for a Gold package and recruitment agencies recruiting for companies already using Space Careers will not be accepted.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.