A consumate business professional and innovator with extensive experience spanning key industries including space, defence, engineering and biotech.
I have a passion for technology development, scouting new technologies, rapidly assimilating business opportunities around them, and then bringing people and funding together to create successful projects at the cutting edge of the defence and aerospace industry.
With over 20 years of commercial experience (12 years of international business experience) combined with strategic thinking, forward vision, operational knowledge, and a belief in value enhancement, I have delivered successful innovation, growth and market expansion in a range of global markets.
• Conceptualising, writing, winning and delivering highly innovative cutting edge R&D projects.
• Expanding export sales and increasing export ratio in four separate companies.
• Successful market entry into China, Asia, South America, Poland and Eastern Europe.
• Re branding & re focussing an inward looking company into a global sales & marketing culture.
• Creating an entire new aesthetically pleasing, state of the art product range.
• Selling Cytokines to Nobel Prize winning professor who pioneered original cytokine research.
Key Career Objectives
To build on and utilise all of my international business experience, and my passion for cutting edge technology development and innovation to provide strategic long term growth within an organisation.
To identify areas of improvement and implement solutions for continuing excellence in exploiting future markets. To improve competitive advantage through innovation, forward thinking and a fusion of marketing, sales, operational, and financial management.
Outline Career History
• 2012 to Date - Business Development, R&D Projects, Technology Scouting, (Aerospace & Defence)
• 2010 to 2012 - Marketing, Business Development and Security (Aerospace & Defence)
• 2008 to 2010 - International Exec - (Space, Aerospace & Defence).
• 2007 to 2008 - Interim Global Distributor Manager/Head of Global Sales (PPE for Medical & Defence).
• 2002 to 2006 - Sales & Marketing Director - (Biotech, Industrial, Medical and Defence Engineering).
• 2001 to 2002 - Sales Manager - UK & Ireland + GCAM (Biotech, & Homeland Security/Defence)
• 1988 to 2001 - Various R&D and Business Development roles.
• 1987 to 2004 - HM Forces (Regular & Reserve)
Non Executive Duties
• Canfield University, Department of Engineering, Autonomous Systems - MSc Advisory Panel.
Career in Detail
Cosworth Ltd (Defence Business Unit)
June 2012 to December 2013
Cosworth Ltd are a world renowned engineering company with a strong motorsport pedigree, specialising in advanced high performance systems. Cosworth's defence business unit is a fledgling entity created to exploit technology and IP in the global defence sector that has been generated elsewhere in the business. It also undertakes R&D for the development of new products and services as well as significant technology market watching. Key market sectors include unmanned systems, soldier worn systems, security, CNI, vehicle systems, and battlefield power solutions.
Reporting to the head of the defence business unit, I am responsible for taking Cosworth technology and expertise into the global unmanned systems markets (Air, Sea and Land). Technology includes propulsion systems (heavy fuel/hybrid), electronics and engineering services. With the exception of one key existing product this is a 'blank sheet of paper' role allowing me to scout and pull in technology from other areas of the business, key partners, R&D companies or find funding for new product development to build appropriate solutions to meet market needs. The role is heavily focussed on pulling together novel R&D solutions, securing funding for the R&D and "solutionising" possible future product exploitation pathways.
Outside of the unmanned systems market sector I am also the market lead for low TRL technology R&D projects. This involves conceptualising the idea, writing the bids/proposals, securing funding (e.g. CDE, TSB and SBRI or internal) and supporting the delivery of the projects. Examples include cutting edge high power rocket fuelled electrical power generators and new vehicle forensics, security and vehicle tracking concepts.
I am also the market lead for the security sector/OGD market which includes the various UK agencies, Police, CNI and 'Blue Light' customers. I also have significant input into the soldier systems and battlefield power generation markets. Products include covert equipment, body worn electronics and engineering services.
I am also acting as the company Security Controller responsible for all aspects of the defence business units security (physical & personnel), vetting/clearances, and advising on IT Security (RMADS).
• Pioneering cutting edge R&D projects for power generation and vehicle forensics.
• Test launch of first commercial UAV heavy fuel engine product, and winning first potential orders.
• Development of internal product launch procedures and documentation
• Submitted and won funding requests for novel R&D concepts to MOD
• Formed strategic alliances with key technology partners.
Blue Bear Systems Research Ltd
January 2011 to June 2012
Blue Bear Systems are a leading aerospace SME. They specialising in the design, rapid prototyping and manufacture of UAV's, ground control stations, avionics, flight control, navigation and guidance systems as well as having extensive expertise in modelling & simulation, autonomous air/ground systems, and flight testing. Blue Bear frequently works with defence primes rapidly accelerating concepts from TRL 0 to TRL 7, and is well respected by MOD as a subject matter expert on UAS.
Reporting to the MD, I was responsible for technology scouting, marketing, business development and some flight trials management activities. I was also responsible for input into designing and implementing the new LVC (Live Virtual & Constructive) simulation concept and future road map.
The scope of the role involved taking new Blue Bear products and launching them to the international market, as well as expanding the consultancy and augmented design services to encompass an international customer focus. This included assessing viability of options including direct sales channels, distributor sales channels, agents and potentially opening up new offices in the US and Middle East. The role was also heavily composed of technology scouting, resource instigation and partnership brokering for joint R&D activities, joint bidding, tendering and "art of the possible" technology demonstrations.
Typical clients include UK MOD, (e.g. DSTL, AWC), French MOD, Thales, Northrop Grumman, BAE, Roke Manor, Selex, LM, Cobham. Typical applications include C2, C4, ISTAR, multi sensors fusion, border security, unified command and control, enhanced situational awareness, counter terrorist operations, maritime security, CIED, COIN, and civilian applications including oil & gas survey, agricultural survey and emergency response.
I also had the role as the company Security Controller, responsible for all aspects of security (physical & personnel), vetting/clearances, IT Security (RMADS), and writing the company's Business Continuity Management Policy.
• Test launch of first commercial UAV product, with first potential orders.
• Achieving national TV coverage for Blue Bear on BBC Country file (02nd Oct 2011).
• Designing future business plans for international expansion.
• Forging strategic alliances with new UK businesses and overseas business partners.
• Designed and implemented new marketing collateral (Brochures, Product Info, Exhibition stands).
Analytical Graphics Inc (AGI) - International Executive
September 2008 to Dec 2010
AGI are the leading provider of advanced analytical, visualisation and operational software to the space, aerospace, homeland security, agency and defence industries. Their state of the art time dynamic, physics based software includes COTS products, bespoke services/solutions and componentised development kits. Software ranges from off the shelf products, enterprise level solutions through to bespoke solution provision.
Applications include: mission planning, live operations/operational planning, situational awareness, post mission debrief/after action review, C2, C4ISTAR, UAV/UAS’s, EW environment (communications, jamming, radar), cyber security, space mission design, orbital analysis, offensive/defensive counter space planning, aircraft mission modelling, maritime/land/air based surveillance, GPS/GNSS coverage, GPS navigational accuracy, weapons payload planning, sensor planning, imagery analysis data retrieval, GIS/Geospatial data handling, CIED, border protection/security, agency/police users, oil & gas exploration, etc
Reporting to the VP Global Sales I was responsible for building the UK, Netherlands, Belgium, NATO & EDA markets from sporadic sales to a sustainable business. I also worked on Space Situational Awareness (SSA) programs. Primary UK/European customers include ESA, UK Space Agency, RAL, STFC, ISIC, DSTL, NC3A, QinetiQ, Thales, EADS Astrium, Avanti, Inmarsat, Lockheed Martin, Cobham, L3, BAE, Logica, Selex etc.
• Successfully negotiating 5 year software and support deal with Rutherford Appleton Laboratory.
• Winning strategically important MOD/DSTL business and building an MOD a user community.
• Working on design of cutting edge deployment of LVC concepts for UK Naval training.
• Developing UK sales and growing customer base.
Bodyguards/Medisavers - Global Distributor Manager/Head of Global Sales
2007 to September 2008
A leading medical devices company and primary suppliers to the NHS and MOD. Products include medical and industrial IPE/PPE (gloves and clothing), wound care, procedure packs, continence care, pulped paper products, medical & laboratory disposables, general consumables, medical tests and diagnostics. Primary market sectors include NHS, private hospitals, dental, care homes, pharma, biotech, veterinary, personal care, cosmetics, food, beverage, chemicals, motor factors, engineering, military etc.
Reporting to the Group MD & Chairman, I was a member of the senior management team with responsibility for running the global sales and distribution division. This included responsibility for all UK medical distributors, all sales into UK MOD, as well as the global distribution network in the medical and industrial sectors. I also had responsibility for all direct defence sales to the global armed forces customers including Greek, Cypriot, Turkish, Maltese, Malaysian and Israeli MOD.
The role was very operationally focussed and encompassed divisional management (people, resources, P&L), bids/tenders, global product sourcing, international freight/logistics, budgets and forecasting. I was responsible for setting and implementing global sales strategy, coordinating global marketing, day to day operational management, appointing agents/distributors, training and motivation of the distributor/channel network.
• Achieved year one net profit targets by end of 3rd quarter.
• Achieved sustained growth in year two exceeding profit targets.
• Increased global market coverage/market share and new market penetration.
• Increased distributor network from 98 to 156 partners/distributors.
• Launched new "Retail" branded products for move into retail sector.
Breconcherry Ltd - Sales & Marketing Director
2002 to 2006
Breconcherry, a subsidiary of the Samuel Hodge group, specialised in manufacturing standard and bespoke engineering solutions for CIP Systems. Primary applications provide environmental and financial solutions for optimising fluid handling systems and reducing costs. Other products areas included marine oil & water separation, pumps (centrifugal & peristaltic), valves, gas extraction fans, actuators, sensors, chemicals, hardware/software control systems and manufacture of components for industrial and aerospace applications.
The diverse customer base covered business sectors such as OEM’s, pharmaceutical, cosmetics, personal care, food, beverage, brewing/wine, chemicals, oil, gas, waste water, bulk transportation, coatings, paints, paper & pulp, nuclear, healthcare and military. Customers include Tuckenhagen, Glaxo, Wyeth, Coca Cola, Carlsberg, Heineken, Asahi, Shell, BP, Avon, L’Oreal, Biersdorf, Gallo, Thames Water, BNFL, Polish MOD.
I joined Breconcherry as Distributor Manger/Export Manager. After two very successful years I became Sales & Marketing Director with board membership, and on occasion acting as the MD’s designate. Responsibilities included devising and implementing global sales strategy, setting up and running the global marketing programme, appointing & training agents/distributors, and presenting at international conferences. The role also included global sourcing, international logistics, day to day operations management, bids/tender, budgets, forecasting, P&L responsibility, legal/patent/intellectual property rights issues, post mergers and acquisitions integration, recruitment, personnel issues (including redundancy, termination & team restructures), product management, R&D, as well as responsibility for all IT & communication solutions within the company.
• Doubled export sales, increasing export ratio to 80/20 (Export/UK).
• Implemented US, South America & Chinese market strategies.
• Implemented new EU sales strategy in Poland, Czech Rep., Lithuania, Latvia, Romania, and Hungary.
• Implemented new CRM database linked to VOIP phone system.
• Participated in government environmental consultation group with DEFRA, EA and Envirowise.
• Designed and Implemented state of the art multi camera video testing facility with full network integration, web multiplexing with remote viewing for global technical training and trouble shooting.
• Managed the design, build and transition to new premises including all the comms & IT architecture.
Celsis Ltd - Sales Manager – UK & Ireland + GCAM
2001 to 2002
Celsis are a world leading provider of rapid diagnostic systems and analytical laboratory services. The company specialises in detecting microbial contamination, reducing product failure and shortening product to market times. Industry coverage is wide, including bio terrorism, defence, pharmaceutical, medical, healthcare, personal care, brewing, dairy, food and beverage sectors.
I joined Celsis as UK & Ireland Sales Manager (reporting to the European GM) with additional responsibility for some key GCAM (Global Corporate Account Management) activities. The role comprised of international sales & marketing, team management, technical/financial sales training for the European sales team, and new business development in the UK, Ireland, Denmark, Poland and Scandinavia. I was also responsible for the UK & Ireland service/technical support operation, as well as running technical seminars and training.
• Recruited and trained a new UK team during a very challenging time for the company.
• Increased capital equipment sales, reagent sales and service revenue.
• Regained all but one of the previously lost accounts in first 6 months.
• Implemented a new CRM database in the UK. Prepared this for European role out.
Career prior to 2001
Prior to joining Celsis in 2001 I worked in a range of roles in the contract research, medical and biotech industry covering pioneering research, medical diagnostics, medical consumables and capital equipment sales. I also progressed from a research technician role into an internal sales role as well as acting as an IT manager. All of these roles were very technical in nature and I had the privilege of working with some leading researches in the fields of cytokines, bone and mineral disorders, diabetes and also veterinary research areas.
I also spent time in the armed forces (Army) as both a regular soldier and in the Territorial Army.
1987 – 1988 - Royal Engineers, followed by approx 15 years service in the TA.
1988 – 2004 Reserve Forces - This included over ten years in military Intelligence.
Specialist in UAV’s (Predator, Global Hawk, Phoenix etc), airborne reconnaissance, digital/wet film imagery acquisition, processing, interpretation, communication and dissemination. Working with various domestic and overseas intelligence/security agencies.
Extensive experience working in the MNICC (Multinational Intelligence Coordination Centre) under US command.
I also undertook general Int & Sy duties (document security, physical security) as well as moving over to gain HUMINT experience. More details available on request.
I still currently hold an SC Clearance.
Schools and Colleges
• 1982 – 1987 Sawtry Village College, Cambridgeshire (Full time) + 1988 – 1989 (Evening classes)
• 1987 – 1988 Military Education Wing, Old Park Barracks, Dover
• 1988 – 1992 Huntingdonshire Technical College, Huntingdon, Cambs. (Part time study)
• 1995 – 1996 JSPI, RAF Wyton (Part time study)
• 1999 – 1999 JSIO Chicksands (Intensive courses)
• 2000 – 2001 Cambridge Marketing College, Cambridge. (Part time study)
• 2010 – 2011 Hills Road 6th From College (Part time study)
Academic & Further Technical Qualifications
• Advanced Certificate in Marketing. Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM)
• IAT Certificate,& Associate - includes Biology & Mammalian Physiology.
• Bridge course (for HNC exemption) in Chemistry
• Joint forces photographic interpretation/imagery analysts course.
• 11 Passes at O’Level/CSE/GCSE/Equivalent, including English, Maths, Physics & Chemistry.
• I have attended/passed various other courses relating to sales, computing and military applications.
• Languages (very, very basic French, German & undertook basic Arabic course).
Membership of Scientific or Professional Bodies
• APIS - Aerial Photographic Interpretation Society.
• CIM - Chartered Institute of Marketing
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £350 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2017 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)562211007 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)562211007.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)562211007 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
Recruitment agencies are only eligible for a Gold package and recruitment agencies recruiting for companies already using Space Careers will not be accepted.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing email@example.com. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.