Highly accomplished leader experienced in managing interdisciplinary teams to solve complex and ambiguous problems.
Innovation & Design ·Research & Development ·Product Development
Engineering ·Manufacturing ·Procurement ·Assembly ·Test
Program & Project Management ·Process Development ·Change Management
INTELLECTUAL VENTURES LABORATORY, Bellevue, Washington, USA ·2010 – 2014
Director of Engineering
Led a department of 45 mechanical, electrical, and software engineers to solve complex & ambiguous global health challenges at a rapidly growing technology incubator. Managed technically diverse projects with $10M/year budget. Recruited and hired new talent, led business development and process improvement efforts, worked directly with customers to understand their evolving needs, and participated in the intellectual property committee overseeing submissions from scientists and engineers.
· Played an integral role in the laboratory’s growth over 4 years, tripled both the number of employees and revenues, and led business development efforts.
· Developed new processes and led change management efforts: created and implemented an innovation process leading to generation of 30+ ideas over its first year, introduced project management methods and implemented its use on every project, implemented configuration management and system engineering practices, introduced user centered design methods.
· Planned and managed interdisciplinary project teams including business and technical disciplines. Met with teams regularly to review technical, cost, and schedule status. Examples include:
o A super-insulated container to store temperature sensitive vaccines in a resource constrained environment. This technology keeps vaccines at the proper temperature for more than 30 days without power and communicates its status to a centralized distribution center over SMS. This technology has been featured on 60 Minutes & Wired Magazine and is a finalist for the 2014 EE Times and EDN ACE Awards. This technology has been licensed to a commercial partner and production is underway.
o An optical-electronic system that uses video cameras, software, and lasers to detect, track, and shoot mosquitos. This technology is intended to combat the spread of malaria and other vector borne diseases. Other applications are being considered including crop & livestock protection. This technology was featured in 2010’s TED talk, “Could this laser zap malaria?”.
o Electro-mechanical food processing equipment to help farmers in low infrastructure settings pasteurize their milk to preserve its value and nutritional benefits for the consumer. Multiple iterations were developed and tested in Kenya to harvest user feedback and evaluate product performance under real conditions. This technology has been successfully commercialized and is being sold throughout East Africa.
o An automated microscope that uses image recognition and machine learning algorithms to diagnose malaria more rapidly and accurately than current techniques. Usability studies are being conducted to harvest user preferences with an early prototype while software development proceeds in parallel. Field-testing is scheduled in 2015 with product development to follow thereafter.
BLUE ORIGIN, Kent, Washington, USA ·2004 – 2010
Department Manager, Program Manager
Led interdisciplinary teams developing and testing rocket vehicles, propulsion systems, and their associated technologies for a rapidly growing aerospace startup. Established procurement and inventory systems and played a key role in creating the company’s overall infrastructure. Led large teams of engineers to develop the mechanical, electrical, and software functions necessary for the successful operation of rocket vehicles and their propulsion systems, overseeing the complete lifecycle of each project from drawing board to final implementation.
· Played a key role in the company’s growth by leading a team to design, build, and test the company’s first rocket engine. This required close coordination of the mechanical, electrical, and software development activities. Pioneered agile project management methods at the company through this effort.
· Led an interdisciplinary team of 30 engineers to develop the propulsion systems for the company’s first and second-generation rocket vehicles. Responsible for cost, schedule, and technical rigor. Budget was $10 million per year.
· Led negotiations with component suppliers, saving more than $5 million over the life of the project.
· Managed the company’s first NASA contract by leading a team of 10 engineers to evaluate the company’s first crew capsule.
· Earned the company’s first internal promotion to head its Fluid Systems department, managing a team of engineers to create state-of-the-art fluid systems on all current and future vehicles.
· Led “flaming boot” demonstrations to teach propellant safety and hazards analysis.
AEROJET ROCKETDYNE, Sacramento, California, USA ·2000 – 2004
Administered all aspects of rocket engine development for key engineering projects of a world-recognized aerospace and defense leader. Managed cost, schedule, and technical oversight functions over the complete lifecycle of each project, working under NASA, US Air Force, and Department of Defense contracts.
· Led the team credited with inventing the tri-fluid injector and managed high-profile projects including the Exo-atmospheric Kill Vehicle, a key component of the ballistic missile defense program, Integrated Powerhead Development, and Advanced Re-usable Rocket Engine.
BEAL AEROSPACE, Frisco, Texas, USA ·1999 – 2000
Senior Project Engineer
Oversaw the development of rocket engines for a private company working to build and operate a heavy-lift orbital launch vehicle. Managed cost, schedule, and technical oversight functions over the complete lifecycle of each project.
· Coordinated the development and testing of rocket engine technologies and researched liquid injection thrust vector control, catalyst beds, and ablative materials.
NORTHROP GRUMMAN (Formerly TRW), Manhattan Beach, California, USA ·1996 – 1999
Managed research and development efforts focusing on spacecraft thrusters and electric propulsion concepts for a company recognized as a pioneer in the development of spacecraft.
· Developed spacecraft thrusters for the Chandra X-Ray Observatory, NASA’s flagship mission for X-ray astronomy.
· Developed a cryogenic vacuum test facility to evaluate electric propulsion concepts including Hall effect thrusters. Developed software to automate facility operation and acquire data.
· Tested and evaluated Russian thruster hardware.
PURDUE UNIVERSITY, West Lafayette, Indiana,USA ·1994 – 1996
Led software development projects using numerical methods to simulate physics and model droplet behavior and conducted experimental research into hybrid rocket engines.
· Wrote code to computationally simulate a droplet’s resonance to an acoustic stimulus using FORTRAN and MATLAB.
EDUCATION AND ADDITIONAL TRAINING
Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering
Purdue University ·West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering
Purdue University ·West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Innovation Master Series: Design Thinking and the Art of Innovation
Stanford University ·Stanford, California
Project Management Training, PMI certified
Financial Accounting and Earned Value Management
High Impact Leadership Training
FORTRAN, PASCAL, MATLAB, PLC, Arduino, Labview
Subversion SVN, Trac, Redmine, MS Project, Merlin
Primavera P6 Project Management, Saviom Resource Planning
Project Management Book of Knowledge (PMBOK)
Mathcad, EASY5, Chemical Equilibrium Analysis, NIST Fluids Database
AutoCAD, Unigraphics, Pro/Engineer, AutoCAD P&ID, Routed Systems Designer
Intralink, SSA Baan ERP & PDM, SharePoint
Google Docs, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel)
UNIX, Windows, Mac OS
PATENTS & PUBLICATIONS
United States Patent Application No. 61/520,578, ”Heat Stable Vessel”, June 8, 2012
“Design and Testing of the IPD Oxidizer Rich Pre-Burner”, JANNAF 52nd Combustion Working Group, May 2004. (Winner: 2004 JANNAF Liquid Propulsion Best Paper Award).
“Long Life LO2/LH2 IPD Engine Combustion Device Development for Military Space”, JANNAF 51st Combustion Working Group, November 2002.
“On a Droplet's Response to Acoustic Excitation”, Journal of Multiphase Flow, Volume 25, Issue 3, April 1999, pp 531-550.
“Optimization of Hybrid Rocket Booster Fuel Grain Design”, Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 32. No. 6, November/December 1995, pp 964-969.
Born 11 May 1972, Married, No children
British & American citizenship
English (native), French (intermediate), German (basic), Turkish (basic)
Sculpting, Travel, SCUBA diving, Skiing
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2019 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
Recruitment agencies are only eligible for a Gold package and recruitment agencies recruiting for companies already using Space Careers will not be accepted.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing email@example.com. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.