2013 – 2014 Programme Manager – Special Programmes, SSTL, Guildford
· Leading and delivering SSTL’s next generation satellite platform design - improving performance and payload capability
· Undertaking cost engineering activities - targeting key areas for business improvement
· Applying new methodologies in design, procurement, manufacturing and test - lowering costs and improving delivery time
· Evaluating and optimising project core teams – building strength and capability
· Managing introduction of new platform design onto secured commercial missions
2009 – 2013 Head of Electrical Engineering, SSTL, Guildford
· A member of the senior management team - provided steer across all business functions
· Led an engineering department consisting of 150 staff and five test facilities across three sites
· Collaborated with other heads of engineering and projects director to oversee critical project deliveries, implementing robust recovery plans where required
· Mentored key staff and managers – developing future leaders
· Formulated effective, appropriate and flexible engineering processes in alignment with company principles
· Defined and implemented product roadmaps with business unit and engineering leaders
· Acted as senior level customer interface - communicating company processes and procedures - resolving critical technical issues – instilling customer confidence
· Responsible for department budget – labour overheads, materials and capital expenditure – forecasting and tracking ~£4M - consistently maintained within budget
· Participated in bid management for mission sales – reviewing cost, schedule, technical input and assisting in negotiations
· Chaired project reviews and inquiry boards - drawing on full project life-cycle experience and skills to help provide technical and programmatic guidance to project teams
· Implemented cost reduction and delivery improvement strategy – examples include
o Divisional restructure - product teams to establish knowledge centres and drive timely delivery and ownership
o Manufacturing process – implemented reflow capability and specialist manufacturing cells - reduced electronics assembly time by 80% (exceeded target of 50%)
o Automated test engineering - reduced sub-assembly test time from weeks to days
o Application of commodity management for electronic components - reduced electronics materials costs by 25% (exceeded target of 10%) and built better relationship with suppliers
o Development of outsourcing for manufacturing activities and subsystems procurement - enabling delivery schedules to be met and internal development costs to be minimised on flagship missions.
2006 – 2009 Electronics Group Leader – RF and Analogue Electronics, SSTL, Guildford
(Also encompassed a Subsystems Sales Business Development role)
· Provided technical leadership to three engineering teams - 30 people
· Delivered manpower and equipment resources to multiple projects - typically 5 satellite missions or constellations per year
· Implemented effective and coherent peer review, design engineering and test processes
· Oversaw group’s delivery to projects – steering scope, schedule, cost and quality
· Responsible for overhead budget and capital expenditure ~£2M
· Defined and implemented product roadmaps – contributed to engineering division strategy and company business plan
· Participated in mission and subsystems sales negotiations – instrumental in securing a number of contracts of value ~£1M to £15M
· Kick started subsystems sales business unit – capitalised on the potential of selling subsystems to other spacecraft manufacturers – grew new orders from ~£100K to ~£6M in two years (exceeded target of £1M first year and £2M second year)
o Developed the Subsystem Sales business development plan and secured internal funding to undertake sales development activities
o Bid managed and secured successful new sales globally – US, Europe & Asia
o Implemented dedicated subsystem sales engineer roles and projects personnel to bolster and grow the subsystems business – now a separate business line at SSTL with representation on the senior management team
2001 – 2006 Senior RF Engineer then RF Team Leader in 2003, SSTL, Guildford
· Provided technical leadership and delivery focus to ten engineering staff working on multiple satellite missions.
· Designed and delivered RF communications subsystems for satellites
2000 – 2001 Senior RF Engineer & Project Manager, Quasar Microwave, Devon
· Designed and delivered high volume microwave products for mobile phone base stations (typically ~100 production units per design)
· Led a development team - design of novel high performance microwave filter products driven by the need for low cost manufacturing and test
1998 – 2000 RF Engineer, ComDev International, Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
· Lead engineer - designed telecoms payload subsystems for North American and European customers - supported multiple projects - drove the full project lifecycle through to customer delivery
Education, professional memberships and training
MSc, Microwave Solid State Physics – University of Portsmouth (1997)
BSc(Hons), Physics 2:1 – University of Sussex (1995)
MIET Chartered Engineer
Prince2 Certification - Practitioner
Management & Leadership - Group development courses over last ten years at SSTL
Personal development coaching - PEC Ltd. over last seven years
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2018 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing email@example.com. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.