I am very enthusiastic about a career in space technology and am currently seeking to gain experience in the relevant sciences and engineering. My degrees in Analytical Chemistry and Systems Engineering complement each other and I now wish to expand my knowledge and experience in the space sector.
BEng Systems Engineering, Loughborough University, 2010-2014
The degree covers the systems approach and its application, but also includes electrical engineering and a range of topics relevant to the successful planning and execution of interdisciplinary projects, such as human factors in system design or material properties. The degree also includes a Diploma in Industrial Studies earned through my placement year at ESTEC. Final result: Upper 2nd class honours (67%)
MSc Research in Analytical Chemistry, Loughborough University, 2009-2010
A degree focussed on analytical techniques including considerations such as their fitness for purpose and cost-effectiveness, data processing and statistics. Final result: Master with Distinction (70%)
BSc Chemistry, Loughborough University, 2006-2009
Modules include organic and inorganic chemistry, radiochemistry and physical chemistry.
Young Graduate Trainee at ESTEC (ESA), the Netherlands (September 2012 – September 2013)
Worked as an Analytical Chemist in the Life and Physical Sciences Laboratory
- Established protocols and procedures for a newly acquired liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS) instrument
- Operated, maintained and repaired the system and carried out method development
- Created a number of Excel-based calculators and tools to make the work easier
- Supported other research groups and their activities
- Also attended numerous lectures on ESA’s activities, e.g. ‘lessons learned’ events and a three-day course in spacecraft systems engineering organised by ESA and the University of Southampton.
Paid placementat the German Aerospace Center, Brunswick (July – September 2010)
- Research into carbon nanotubes for use as electrodes in devices such as capacitors
- Worked with minimal supervision on set tasks and the development of my own ideas
- Produced literature reviews, lab scripts and other documents for others to follow
Moderator and supervisor on the staff of a large online browser game community (2007-2010)
- Volunteer position in the online forums as moderator, personnel manager and team supervisor
- Supervisor of a creative workgroup developing new ideas and concepts for the game and community. Directed the group’s efforts and summarised results to pass them on
- Organised duty rosters for team members and helped recruit and train new staff
- Played a key role in dealing with complaints and criticisms of the team, and helped other staff members respond appropriately when they received complaints directly
- Helped to maintain a friendly atmosphere in the forums and in discussion threads
Placement at the Faserwerk Lingen (textile factory), Bayer AG (Summer 2006)
- Assisted in the analytical laboratory by carrying out routine analyses
- Completed a series of teaching experiments, e.g. a flame atomic absorption spectroscopy analysis
BSc project on the production and durability of photovoltaic modules (2013-2014)
- Studied the effects of production conditions on the long-term stability of solar panels
- Largely independent research, planning and experimental design
- Produced and tested a large number of modules together with other researchers
- The results are to be presented at the 6th World Conference on Photovoltaic Energy Conversion
MSc and BSc projects in the area of X-ray crystallography(2009-2010)
- Investigation of crystal structures using X-ray diffraction and computational methods
- Collected and solved X-ray diffraction data which was published in Acta Crystallographica or contributed to other publications
- Produced dissertations on intermolecular forces and their influence on crystal packing, and on the effects of ligands on crystal structures, based on a literature review and my own results
- Additional voluntary work solving crystal structures to hone my skills. Also tested a new software package, OLEX2, for the department
Voluntary research project in organic synthesis (Summer 2008)
- Synthesis of fluorinated organic compounds with potential medical applications
- Created a database comparing computational and real data to help with the interpretation of NMR spectra obtained from samples
Professional and Personal Skills
- Familiar with Microsoft and Open Office for text or data processing and presentations
- Some experience with MatLab and Mathcad Prime
- Certified LabView Associate Developer (CLAD)
Analytical Techniques and Practical Skills
- Well-versed in all aspects of running a Liquid Chromatograph-Mass Spectrometer
- Familiar with the principles of x-ray crystallography and structural refinement
- Other analytical techniques include nuclear magnetic resonance, infrared and ultraviolet spectroscopy, peel testing and differential scanning calorimetry
- Some experience working in glove boxes and laminar flow cabinets
- Experience cleaning and assembling lab equipment (LC-MS instrument in particular) and computers
- Fluent in German and English (IELTS Certificate; Grade 8.0 / 9.0)
- Beginner’s level in Dutch, Latin (GSCE-Level), Russian (OCR Level 1 Certificate) and Spanish
- Combined Cadet Force member for three years, participating in many exercises and courses and helping to train younger cadets. Final Rank: Sergeant
- Part of numerous group projects as part of my degree training and work experience
- Royal Society of Chemistry, RSC, since 2006
- Institution of Engineering and Technology, IET, since 2011
- BTEC First Certificate, grade: merit
- Senior Cadet Instructors Course, SCIC, grade: C
- Driver’s Licence, obtained in Germany
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2019 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at email@example.com. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
Recruitment agencies are only eligible for a Gold package and recruitment agencies recruiting for companies already using Space Careers will not be accepted.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.