A highly motivated and enthusiastic problem solver with a PhD in Astrophysics from Durham University. With experience in programming, the manipulation of large data sets and quality control, I have an analytical mind and a keen eye for detail.
· Oct 2011 - Oct 2015: PhD in Astronomy : Institute for Computational Cosmology, Durham University, UK
· Oct 2006 - July 2010: MPhys with Astrophysics (taught) : University of Leicester, UK
· Sept 2004 - July 2006: A levels : King James School, Knaresborough, UK
Physics, Chemistry, Maths
· Aug 2015 - Oct 2015: Project Team Technician for Spatial Modelling Team, NM Group (Knaresborough, UK)
Key Skills: 3D spatial modelling of railway lines using Microstation and GIS software to manipulate LiDAR data, attention to detail, team work, quality control.
· Oct 2011 - Oct 2015: Postgraduate Research Student (Institute for Computational Cosmology, Durham University, UK)
- Work Published: McNaught-Roberts et al.; 2014, MNRAS, 445, 2125-2145 (arxiv.org/abs/1409.4681)
- Key Skills: Programming (Fortran and Python), modelling, big data analysis and quality control.
International teamwork, communication and presentation, organisation, scientific writing.
Problem solving, working to both individual PhD project and collaborative team deadlines.
- Experience: Use of a state-of-the-art telescope to gather large quantities of data.
Use of a super computer for data manipulation, analysis and modelling.
PhD student representative in ICC staff meetings.
Part of the international collaborative GAMA (Galaxy and Mass Assembly) survey team.
· Oct 2010 - Present: Teaching Assistant (University of Leicester and Durham University, UK)
Key Skills: Weekly assessments, demonstrating, leadership, management, presentation and communication
· March 2011 - May 2011: Tutor for A-level Physics and Maths (Hinckley, Leicestershire, UK)
Key Skills: Communication, interpersonal skills, organisation and planning
· Oct 2010 - Feb 2011: Quality control assistant for IKANOS (Nottingham, UK)
Key Skills: Thoroughly testing software, attention to detail, critical skills and communication.
· Other: 2003 - 2011: Kennel assistant, bar staff , kitchen assistant
Key Skills: Interpersonal skills, time management, organisation and planning, communication.
· OS: Proficient in Windows, Linux
· Programming: Proficient: FORTRAN 77/90, Python, LATEX;
Good: IDL, R
Basic: C, C++
· Software packages: Proficient in Topcat (Tool for OPerations on Catalogues and Tables), Microsoft Office, Microstation, GIS.
Other Research Experience
· May 2011 - Sept 2011: Research assistant (Royal Observatory Edinburgh, UK)
Project: The luminosity function of galaxies in GAMA
· July 2010 - Sept 2010: Research assistant (University of Leicester, UK)
Project: Dark matter density profiles in spiral galaxies
· Oct 2007 - Feb 2008: Involved with student CubeSat project (University of Leicester, UK)
· July 2007 - Aug 2007: Research assistant (University of Leicester, UK)
Project: Imaging the Auroral Oval
Published: Milan, S.E.; Evans, T.A; Hubert, B.; 2010, AnGeo, 28, 1003-1012
· Jan 2007: Winter School in Space Science and Phenomena (Kiruna, Sweden)
· Cosmology in Crisis exhibit at Royal Society Summer Exhibition, London, 2013
· Durham Astronomy exhibit at Celebrate Science Exhibition, Durham, 2011, 2014
· Visited Schools around County Durham and Yorkshire to introduce children (7-9 years and 15-16 years) to Astronomy
· fluent: English
· basic: Russian, German, French, Latin
Full clean UK driving licence held since May 2006
References readily available on request.
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2018 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will set up an account for you and invoice you accordingly. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
Recruitment agencies are only eligible for a Gold package and recruitment agencies recruiting for companies already using Space Careers will not be accepted.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing email@example.com. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.