A highly motivated and hard working postdoctoral scientist, with 10 years experience in physics and mathematics-based academic research. Highly experienced in data processing and statistical analysis of large, multivariate datasets. Excellent team work skills and experience in working with international groups. Proven leadership skills, including lecturing and mentoring of students, and conference organisation. An effective communicator with a significant publication record, contributions to international conferences and invited seminars, and public outreach activities.
• Highly proficient in the use of Linux, Windows, and Mac operating systems.
• Extensive experience in handling large datasets & image processing/analysis of scientific images.
• Experienced with statistical analysis and the use of SPSS, also SQL and Access.
• Comprehensive software development experience: IDL, MATLAB, Mathematica, IRAF, Java, C++.
• Extensive experience preparing IDL, IRAF, and shell scripts, and with software pipelines for data analysis.
• Proficiency with varied ancillary data processing software: gawk, TOPCAT, ds9, imagej, MIPAV, OsiriX. • Proficiency with Microsoft and Open Office publishing and presentation tools.
• Excellent team work ability - carried out research and published 20 scientific papers in large and small teams.
• Strong leadership ability - organised conference for 50 people, mentored students, delivered lectures.
• Strong communication skills - 9 invited/conference talks, 14 posters, lectures to students, public outreach activities.
Predoctoral Fellowship Award from Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory:
• Competitive 3 year fellowship to carry out PhD research in Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
• Organised Predoctoral Fellow meetings and was predoctoral representative to research council.
Selected for Science Foundation Ireland’s Discover Science+Engineering 2003 project at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center:
• Eight week training course on space science and engineering from NASA personnel and astronauts.
• Worked in multidisciplinary team to launch small sounding rocket with camera as payload.
Scholarship from Irish Research Council for Science Engineering & Technology (IRCSET) for Postgraduate Research:
• Three year scholarship to fund PhD research in University College Dublin
Nuffield Bursary, Nuffield Foundation, UK:
• Financial award to fund summer intern to process spectral data and subsequently classify the stars
• Supervision and mentoring of final year undergraduate student in project and PhD applications
Stagiare placement in Research & Space Science Division, ESTEC, European Space Agency, The Netherlands:
• Three month internship with Ulysses Solar Observatory mission team
• MATLAB analysis of solar spectral measurements for correlations between flares and solar weather.
PhD in Experimental Physics from University College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland. (2007)
IDL and IRAF scripting, gawk and shell scripting for data handling and image processing. Extensive use of Redhat Linux and Solaris Unix operating systems. Member of the Chandra star formation group. Member of the IRAC Instrument team on the NASA/ESA Spitzer Space Telescope. Experimental design and construction with training on a scanning electron microscope. Demonstrator to 2nd & 3rd yr Physics for Engineers Labs, 1st yr Nursing, 1st yr Astrophysics, and Tutoring.
Honours in Experimental Physics & Mathematical Physics from NUI, Maynooth, First Class Honours. (2002)
Achieved 1st place in graduating class in Mathematical Physics. Schools Outreach: Prepared and taught introductory physics class to disadvantaged senior secondary students. C++ modeling of point masses in potential wells, C/IDL/Mathematica modeling of FIR wave propagation
Systems Design Engineer, LMI Ericsson Ltd., Athlone, Ireland: (10/2013 - 07/2014)
• Ericsson Java Level 1 Certificate
• Experience with Lean and Agile working practises to improve project management and throughput
• SPSS for statistical analysis and familiarity with Six Sigma methodology
MSc in Physical Sciences in Medicine from Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland: (10/2012 -09/2013)
• MRI image processing with imagej, MIPAV, OsiriX and creation of protocol for a blind study.
• Use of SPSS and SQL for statistical determination of the diagnostic utility of a new imaging technique.
• Class representative to University and local Medical Physics group at St James Hospital.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, European Space Agency, ESTEC, The Netherlands: (11/2010-10/2012) • Data processing of FIR images using shell scripts and software pipeline.
• Member of the Herschel Gould Belt Survey team, a European network of researchers.
• Organised 3-day meeting entitled ESA Faculty Workshop: Frontiers of Star Formation, for 50 participants.
• Wrote workshop funding application, invited speakers, edited the webpage, and lead organising team.
• In charge of departments literature seminars, organised staff participation and invited speakers.
Experienced Researcher, Marie Curie RTN:CONSTELLATION, University of Exeter, UK: (10/2008-10/2010)
• Analysis of large, multiwavelength and time-varying datasets using IDL and TOPCAT.
• Member of European network: daily communication and week-month long visits to other working groups.
• Researchers representative to RTN management, assisted lead professor in creating progress reports for EC.
• Organised the Star Formation group’s weekly literature seminar and social activities.
• Public Outreach activities as part of the Star Formation group’s Open Nights for local residents.
Postdoctoral Researcher, HEA Division, Harvard-Smithsonian CfA, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA. (03/2008-09/2008)
• Analysis of multiwavelength datasets to correlate X-ray and IR properties, using IDL and TOPCAT.
• Worked as the IR astronomer in the Chandra X-ray star formation group.
• Awarded proposed telescope time on Chandra Space Observatory.
Predoctoral Fellow, Harvard-Smithsonian Centre for Astrophysics, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA. (09/2004-09/2007)
• Wrote journal publications and telescope observing time proposals for MMT in Arizona and IRTF in Hawai’i.
• Created Predoctoral Student coffee group and arranged outings to foster community interaction.
• Presented talks and posters at local and international conferences.
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Silver subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just €325 per month!
2022 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will set up an account for you and invoice you, but in this case, access to our website will be granted only after payment has been received. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing email@example.com. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.