Sr.Consultant / Project, Data- & Information Manager, GIS Specialist
(Bachelor of Science (Honours), Master of Science)
Date of birth: 18 September 1979
Place of birth: Kösching, Germany
Sr.Consultant / Project, Data- & Information Manager, Scientist - Pursuing New Opportunities
20 years work experience in the economic, governmental, and research sectors. 9 years professional/consulting experience in project-/ data- and information management in the emergency disaster, humanitarian relief, international development sectors. I provide project management, process management, training facilitation and mentoring and capacity building expertise. I have solid experience of living and working in multi-national and multicultural environments in a number of countries.
- Project and Process Management
- Data- & Information Management
- GIS specialist
- Standard procedure development
- Training facilitation
- Mentoring and capacity building
- System design, implementation, integration and management
- Software development
- Technical writing and authoring
- Proposal writing
- Risk Modelling for Emergency Disaster
- Humanitarian relief
- Crisis and Disaster Mapping
- Flood Modelling and Cartography
- Administrative / Int. Accounting
- Human Resource Management
Appointments and Consutancies
08/2014 – 04/2015 European Commission, Institute for the Protection and Security of the Citizen (IPSC), Global Security and Crisis Management Unit, Joint Research Centre (JRC), Ispra, Italy Senior Consultant, Data- & Information Management.
Senior Consultant, Data- & Information Management.
Natural Catastrophe - Emergency Mapping (ECHO Daily Flash & ECHO Daily Map) at CRITECH in close collaboration with and for the ERCC (European Emergency Response Coordination Centre) - EU Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection Department (DG ECHO).
10/2013 – 07/2014 Safety & Security Department, Information Management, AIT Austrian Institute of Technology GmbH, Vienna, Austria
Consulting Project Lead, Management and Research of Austrian and European (FP7) Research Programs in the field of Crisis, Risk and Disaster Management:
- RE-ACTA (KIRAS) (Austrian National Project): Resilience Enhancement by Advanced Communication for Team Austria.
- DRIVER (FP7) (European Project): DRiving InnoVation in crisis management for European Resilience.
- Provided project management and information management services to the Department as well as project partner in research, government, the economic sectors and for NGO's in Austria and Europe.
- Additional tasks were project and grant proposal writing for National Austrian and European Research Programs (e.g. Horizon 2020).
- National as well as international outreach and capacity building (Austrian, EU-/ UN-level with global UN-Spider – COPUOS Scientific and Technical Subcommittee - UNOSSA Network, UN-OCHA, Crisis Mapper).
06/2012 – 09/2013 Department of Geodesy and Geoinformation, Research Group: Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry, Vienna University of Technology, Vienna, Austria
Carbonflux Project (FastOpt, Hamburg): Generating long time data records (time series) and soil moisture products from data matching using sensor matching techniques from active and passive microwave systems (ASCAT and AMSR-E).
FAAPS and RapiDEM Project: Flood modelling and software development for ESA projects, based on DTM/DGM's from ALS (Airborne Laser Scanning) and SRTM (Shuttle Radar Topography mission) - Microwave remote sensing.
- Provided Flood Modelling Development / Technical Report Writing.
11/2011 – 05/2012 SynerGIS Information Systems Ltd., Vienna, Austria
Product Engineering and Web Support (Customer care): support, set-up, appliance and testing of the in-house WebOffice software package for customer related web-mapping appliance.
- Provided Software Development / Customer Support / Technical Writing
11/2010 - 10/2011 IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency), Department of Safeguards, Vienna, Austria
Geospatial Analyst (Remote Sensing and GIS) - Technical Assistance (TA) – Satellite Imagery Analysis. Supported geospatial data processing and analysis, performing the following functions:
- Generate and attribute GIS data using Geo-Databases and standardised data dictionaries including the creation of maps and other analytical products (80%).
- Pre-process spatial raster data, including orthorectification, pan-sharpening and co-registration of commercial satellite imagery (10%).
- Measure and model nuclear sites/facilities in 3D using a 3D stereo workstation (10%).
04/2007 - 08/2008 LOICZ - GKSS Research Centre-Coastal Research Institution - HELMHOLZ Association, Geesthacht, Germany
GIS work for LOICZ and the global Typology Project in light of IGBP & IHDP. Close collaboration with the Kansas Geological Survey, Lawrence, Kansas, USA
- Provided project work that focused on mapping human population with global datasets (global population data) from CEISIN, SEDAC.
06/2006 - 09/2006 Irish Aluminium Company (IRALCO) Ltd, Collinstown, Irland
- Environmental Department: Provided support for managing the ISO 14001 and accreditation of IPPC License application.
- Hands-on experience in Customer Service & Planning and Logistic Management.
01/2004 - 05/2006 Modell und Prototypenbau LEIMEISTER, Ingolstadt, Germany
General Model Making and Design tasks for prototype development (DTM motor-racing series (German Touring Car Masters)).
Model Making and Design tasks: Responsibility to plan and build Show Cars, Wind Tunnel and Prototype Vehicles. Development of the tools, gauges and parts required were made accordingly. Usage of fibrous materials such as glass, carbon and kevlar fibers with different resin systems.
06/2003 - 08/2003 County Council Eichstätt, Environmental Department, Eichstätt, Germany
Project work for The Open University on environmental and water resource conservation, and waste cycle (debris) on landfill sites of the local and regional municipalities.
04/2001 - 11/2001 Irish Aluminium Company (IRALCO) Ltd, Collinstown, Ireland
Modell design and tool making of press tools with plastic and metal for the aluminium- processing for various parts for the automotive manufacturers (e.g. AUDI, Volvo, BMW, Porsche, Volkswagen etc).
08/1999 - 03/2001 Engineering and Design AG (EDAG), Ingolstadt, Volkswagen (VW) Wolfsburg, Germany and SEAT Barcelona, Martorell, Spain
Modell design and prototyping with mainly plastic and also other materials processing for three-dimensional representation of a design or concept (e.g. concept cars, clay models) in rapid prototyping for various clients in the Automotive Industry (e.g. AUDI, Volkswagen, SEAT etc).
09/1995 - 07/1999 Apprenticeship as Modelmaker at Engineering and Design AG (EDAG), Ingolstadt, Germany
Apprenticeship as Model Maker (Produktionsmodellbauer).
09/2008 - 04/2010 MSc in Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation for Environmental Modelling and Management (GEM)
A fully taught in English course about environmental systems, their components and interactions with society, as well as become qualified in the rapidly expanding field of geo-information science. The programme took place at:
- University of Warsaw, Poland: Soil Moisture Analysis, and EU policy and Environment.
- Southampton University, United Kingdom: Environmental modelling of Oceans and Land.
- University of Twente, Faculty ITC (Program Host), The Netherlands: Biodiversity, Carbon modelling and Food Security.
- Lund University, Sweden: Geomatics, modelling of greenhouse gases and WEB solutions for Environmental Modelling.
Thesis: „Towards an Integrated Flood Vulnerability Index – A Flood Risk Assessment“. 1. Supervisor: Alexey Voinov; 2. Supervisor: Joan Loojien
08/2008 Department of Physical Oceanography and Department of Biological Oceanography, Oceans Division at CICESE, Ensenada B. C., Mexico
Summer School in Satellite Oceanography 2008 ”Focus on Extreme Events”,
10/2007 - 06/2008 Attended Geography-related lectures, University of Hamburg, Germany
02/2002 - 10/2006 Bachelor of Science (BSc) (Honours) Human Geography, The Open University, Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Diploma in Environmental Policy Making and International Studies and Certificate of Social Science
01/2009 - 08/2009 European Erasmus-Sokrates Grant obtained during GEM programme
11/2006 - 08/2007 Certified GIS Engineer Frankepartner GmbH, Dortmund & European Commission, and the Ministry for Education Northrhine-Westfalia (NRW), Bochum, Germany
Basic and advanced training in GIS and Project Management
05/2000 - 07/2000 former CARL-DUISBERG Association (InWent), Cologne, Germany
- Horner School of English, Fulltime English-Course, Dublin, Ireland, and
- Occupational training in Prototype Design and Development, and Tool Design & Construction, Irish Aluminium Company (IRALCO) Ltd., Collinstown, Ireland
01/2016 – present Standby Taskforce volunteer for Crisis Mapping and Humanitarian Response.
01/2016 – present Disaster Ready volunteer for Crisis Mapping for Humanitarian Response.
07/2015 – present Reviewer of Journal of Sustainability – MDPI – Open Access Journal
11/2011 - present Reviewer of Journal of Environmental Radioactivity (Elsevier)
Operating systems: Microsoft, Linux, and Macintosh
Software: MS Office, Open Office; WebOffice 10 R2, Help & Manual 5, Mantis Bug Tracker; ESRI ArcGIS 9.x, 10.x, 3D Stereo Workstation; HEC-RAS; Oracle DB; ERDAS Imagine 10, 11, OPALS (TU Vienna), RemoteView, ENVI 4.x, ILWIS 3.x, IDRISI Andes, GRASS GIS 6.5; GIMP, Coraldraw; Electronic Data Interchange, Manufacturing Requirements Planning & Materials and Resource Planning, CAD; and others.
Programming languages: Python (working knowledge), IDL (basics), SQL (working knowledge), JAVA (basics), HTML (working knowledge);
- Current - edX – MIT: Introduction to Computer Science and Programming in Python (Jan 2016 – present);
- Starting soon: ESRI: Do-it-yourself-Geo-Apps – Developing and building Geo-Apps on ArcGIS (Feb 2016 – March 2016)
- World-Wide Human Geography Data (WWHGD) Working Group on Mapping and Crowdsourced Data in the Syrian Migration Crisis webinar (December 2015);
- RMS Webinar: Owning Your View of Risk in a Changing Market (Nov 2015);
- Current: Administrative and International Accounting, Human Resource Management (December 2015 – present);
- Communication and conflict management training (October 2015);
- RMS (Risk Management Solutions) Webinar: Risk on the Rise: Managing Inland Flood Risk (October 2015);
- AirWorldwide Webinar: When the Rivers Rise and the Waters Flow: AIR Inland Flood Model for Central Europe (August 2015);
- RMS (Risk Management Solutions) Webinar: Risk on the Rise: Understanding and Managing Coastal Flood Risk (July 2015);
- Introduction to the ERCC structure, operations and knowledge exchange on an operative and administrative level, Brussels (2014);
- KNOW4DRR (FP7) Networking Expert Workshop (2014);
- EMCSR Civilisation at the Crossroads – Response and Responsibility of the Systems (2014);
- International Project Management (IMPA) Exam Preparation (2014);
- TechChange: Institute for Technology & Social Change, USA, Washington, D.C., TC103: Tech Tools and Skills for Emergency Management: Social Media for Crisis Response in Risk, Crisis and Disaster Management (2014);
- International Project Management (IMPA) Fresh-up (2014);
- Project Management Course (IMPA) (2014);
- CTBTO: CTBT Diplomacy and Public Policy Discourse, National Security Policy Studies (2013);
- Introduction to Geoprocessing Scripts Using Python (2012); WebOffice 10 R2 Training (2012), and ArcGIS 10 Server (2012);
- ArcGIS 10 Desktop Tools and Functionality (2011);
- IAEA-SGIM course regarding the Nuclear Fuel Cycle and Nuclear Weapons (2011);
- Nuclear Material Accounting for Safeguards Information Management (2011);
- Seminar on Nuclear Science and Technology for Diplomats (2011);
- Information Security Teach and Test (2011);
- Introduction in ArcGIS Server (2010), and ArcGIS 10 Desktop & Server (2010);
- Satellite Imagery Awareness Course (2010);
- Self- and Time Management (2008);
- Recognize and Develop the Personal Management and Guiding Profile (2007);
- Presenting Science Internationally (2007); Successful Negotiation (2006);
German (mother tongue), English (fluent), Spanish (intermediate), Italian (basics);
USPA License holder