• Accomplished, dynamic leader with extensive experience in building teams of diverse composition bringing together engineers, operators, technicians, and IT professionals, both in house and outsourced, to focus on the common goal of improving operational efficiency and growing revenue.
• Substantial experience in development, deployment and lifecycle management of Satellite Ground Control Systems, On-Orbit Satellite Systems, Data Management Systems, and Data Network Implementation possessing exceptional skills as a program manager in state-of-the-art information and control systems.
• Aug 2014 to Nov 2014 – Skybox Operations, Google Inc., Mountain View, CA –
Successfully coordinated and supported integration of Skybox Operations into Google infrastructure after Google’s acquisition of Skybox.
• Nov 2012 to Aug 2014 – Senior Vice President, Operations, Skybox Imaging, Mountain View, CA
Responsible for all aspects of Skybox operations including development, implementation and operation of Skybox’s Satellite Flight Operations, Customer Service Operations, Image Production Operations, and Scheduling Operations to include the launch and early orbit operations of the company’s first two satellites.
- Managed Skybox facilities to accommodate growth from 80 to 130+ personnel.
- Lead Data Systems group in development of core, big data image handling system as well as the satellite ground control network and corporate IT services.
- Planned and managed the Operations and Data Systems budget in a fiscally challenging environment ensuring key operational milestones were prioritized and met.
- Provided mentorship and guidance to direct reports as well as peers.
• Feb 2008 to Nov 2012 – Vice President, Satellite Operations and Engineering, Intelsat, Long Beach, CA/Washington DC
Responsible for the operation and maintenance of Intelsat’s satellite fleet of 78 satellites (53 Intelsat, 25 Third party) to include development, deployment and maintenance of the ground control data network and facilities.
- Managed $17 million Opex/Capex budget and negotiated both vendor support and third party customer contracts resulting in equitable solutions for both parties.
- Lead staff of 118 engineering, operations and systems personnel located on both coasts.
- Instilled culture of continuous improvement and acceptance of change resulting in the most cost efficient, robust and reliable geosynchronous satellite operator.
- Revenue generation of over $28 million with greater 5% annual growth. Evolved group from Cost center to Profit center.
- Member of Intelsat Technology Governance Council providing guidance and approving all company technology improvements and capital expenditures.
• Nov 2009 to Nov 2012 - Director at Space Data Association – Founding member of the international organization formed by satellite operators in support of satellite operations. The SDA is dedicated to safe and responsible satellite operations, including the prevention of collisions in space and improving satellite communications. www.space-data.org. Selected as Chairman of the organization in August 2012.
• Sep 2005 to July 2006 – Corporate Integration Team Lead, PanAmSat/Intelsat, Long Beach, CA
Responsible for leading cross functional teams in planning for the integration of the 2nd and 3rd largest global fixed satellite services operator after the announcement of the companies’ merger.
- Coordinated all aspects of the corporate merger from Engineering and Operations to Finance to HR to Customer Operations.
- Developed and delivered integration plans, de-conflicted competing requirements, and worked issues with the executive steering committee made up of the senior executives of both companies resulting in the new corporate organization.
• Feb 2002 to Feb 2008 – Vice President, Space Operations, PanAmSat/Intelsat, Long Beach, CA
Responsible for the operation and maintenance of PanAmSat’s satellite fleet to include deployment and maintenance of the ground control data network and facility. Managed $13 million budget and negotiated both vendor support and third party customer contracts resulting in equitable solutions for both parties.
- Ensured all projects and programs met budget and timeline constraints, reducing implementation time of projects by 50%.
- Reduced costs and increase productivity though team building focusing the organization toward the common goal of mission success and increased revenue.
- Increased departmental revenue generation by 40 % working with consulting group in further developing and marketing the operational product line. Increased revenues via a proactive approach to the customer interface ensuring customer satisfaction and repeat business.
- Interacted with and supported Government division by providing business development ideas as well operational support and experience to proposals and active programs resulting in additional revenues for the organization.
• Mar 1998 to Feb 2002 – Director of Operations, Civil Service – GS 15, Naval Satellite Operations Center (NAVSOC), Point Mugu, CA –
- Functional equivalent to COO and CIO, exercising complete responsibility and accountability for the day-to-day operation and maintenance of, and setting the strategic direction for, the Naval Satellite Control Network, a network of geographically dispersed, inter-networked satellite ground-stations controlling $2.8 billion of space based assets.
- Navigated NAVSOC from the operation of a single Low Earth Orbit constellation to full TT&C responsibility of six constellations of LEO, GEO and Molniya Orbit spacecraft, a 300% increase in mission supported while reducing staffing by 30% and operating costs by 20%. Implemented new, more efficient operations within NAVSOC by empowering employees to recommend and take actions that would reduce operator and system error and increase productivity.
- Managed an $11 million operating budget that included the control of personnel costs including salaries, travel, training, contracting and administration, as well as the ground systems maintenance and modernization.
- Demonstrated outstanding personnel leadership skills by formulating a cohesive team of diverse military, civil service and contractor personnel working together toward the common goal of providing the most cost effective, reliable TT&C services for the customer.
• Mar 1996 to Feb 2002 – Adjunct Professor of Computer Science, California Lutheran University, Thousand Oaks, CA
- Prepare and instruct undergraduate level courses in Software Engineering, Data Communications and Networking, Computer Operating Systems and Database Management Systems maintaining current, up-to-date knowledge of technology trends. Focused instruction on real life implementation of textbook techniques. Supervised Senior Capstone Projects for both Computer Science and Computer Information System Students.
• Apr 1987 to Feb 1998 – Active Duty U.S. Naval Officer, various ship and shore duty stations. USS Obannon (DD-987) – Fire Control Officer and First Lieutenant. USS Gettysburg (CG-64) – Commissioning Combat Information Center Officer.
• Feb 1998 to Jan 2002 – Reserve U.S. Naval Officer, supporting Naval Special Warfare Command. Retired Jan 2002.
• Current background investigation
Masters of Science in Information Technology Management
Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California - 1995
Federal Executive Leadership Course
Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, VA - 2001
Bachelor of Arts in History, Minor in Chemistry
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio – 1986
• Available on request