Research and technology focussed, with a history of problem solving and a strong analytical background. I have a degree in mechanical engineering and a PhD, focussing on materials modelling and FE analysis. My prior experience as a technical analyst for an investment company gives me a strong understanding of the commercial drivers behind the application of technology, as well as experience of presenting complex topics to both academic and non-technical audiences.
My most recent role has been optimising the thermal management of electronics packaging for high temperature environments. This has required analytical, numerical and experimental approaches in order to optimise existing designs and develop novel solutions to engineering problems. Working alongside the mechanical and electronic design teams, I have achieved a 30% improvement in the performance of the cooling system, with no cost increase, and developed a novel packaging solution that offers around a 80% cost reduction with minimal impact on performance.
May 2014 – Present. KTP Research Engineer, Avalon Sciences/UWE
· Working full time as a member of the R+D team at Avalon Sciences Ltd, whilst liaising with the university where necessary, to fulfil the requirements of the Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP).
· Developing an analytical and numerical (CFD) model of the tool system, including modelling the performance of the thermoelectric cooling system at high temperature.
· Using data from experimental testing and numerical modelling to develop solutions to improve the performance of the tools at high temperature. Validating modelling and design improvements through extensive laboratory testing.
· Researching alternative materials and techniques and exploring the feasibility of applying these do downhole tools, for example, using novel materials originally developed for astronautics applications to achieve performance gains in the tool system.
· Planning and managing the project to ensure key milestones are achieved on schedule. Prioritising to ensure the needs of both the university and the company are met. Reporting progress and findings to senior management and representatives from the university and Innovate UK, the funding body behind the project.
September 2013 – May 2014. Engineer. Norris Renewables.
· Development of a working scaled prototype novel concentrated solar power device, including mechanical design, thermodynamic and structural calculations.
· 3D modelling of solar systems, including FE of structures, ray tracing for solar field design, and solar irradiation modelling.
· Producing engineering drawings for prototype parts. Liaising with suppliers and manufacturers in order to ensure parts manufactured on time and to budget.
· Providing the MD with progress reports, keeping records of expenditure and general administrative duties.
· My primary role was conducting scientific and technical due diligence for prospective investment opportunities. Applications were from industries as diverse as renewable energy, health care products, and juice drinks thus it was necessary to be able to quickly gather and assimilate data and form conclusions. I was the sole 'technical' member of the team.
· Understanding the product or service offered by the company, evaluating how this fitted into the market, reviewing any patents or IP where appropriate and appraising the validity of the approach.
· Supervised other members of the Due Diligence team in order to ensure applications were processed in a thorough but timely manner. Reported the findings of the team directly to the Managing Director in a mix of written reports and presentations.
· Crystal inspired negative Poisson's ratio structures.
2004 - 2008 University of Exeter -MEng Mechanical Engineering (2:1)
· MEng project: Experimental, computational and analytical characterisation of cellular solids (71%).
· Bachelors project:Finite element analysis of chiral honeycombs (77%).
2002 - 2004 Brighton Hove and Sussex VI College
· A level: Maths, Physics, Chemistry.
1997 - 2002 Shoreham College
· GCSE: 8 A*, 2 A including English and Maths.
· FEA using Abaqus, including experience of the Python scripting interface for Abaqus. Some experience of Ansys FEA, and Autodesk Inventor FE functionality.
· Experience of technical writing, including peer reviewed journal articles and internal technical reports. Presenting findings to management and external funding partners.
· Knowledge of the mechanical design process, including solid mechanics, FMEA, materials selection and elements of manufacturing and management.
· 2D and 3D CAD skills; familiar with Autodesk Inventor and Solidworks 2014.
· Conjugate heat transfer analysis using StarCCM+ CFD package. Basic Knowledge of Ansys Fluent.
· Generally computer literate, competent user of Windows, OSX and Linux. Familiar with Latex and MS Office, especially Excel and Word. Experience of MS Project.
· Basic knowledge of shell scripting, Matlab, Maxima, GULP, VASP, Python.
Hughes TP, Marmier A, Evans KE,Auxetic frameworks inspired by cubic crystals, International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol. 47, 2010, 1469 – 1476.
UK Heat Transfer 2015,Edinburgh, UK.
T.P. Hughes, R. Weerasinghe– CFD Modelling of Thermal Management in Downhole Tools.
HYMA 2011,Strasbourg, France.
A.S.H. Marmier, T.P. Hughes, K.E. Evans - Crystal-Inspired Truss Frameworks with Negative Elastic Properties: Atomistic Modeling and Finite Element Analysis.
M.Siddorn, T.P.Hughes, A.S.H. Marmier -Negative Elastic and Thermo-Elastic Properties in Porous Crystals: Automatic Discovery and Atomistic Modeling.
Auxetics 2009, Bolton, UK.
T. P. Hughes. A. S. H. Marmier - Negative Poisson's ratio beam networks.
Associate member: Institute of Mechanical Engineers –I am working towards becoming chartered through the institute.
Available on request
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing is €450 (approx £400 or US$450) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user).
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will set up an account for you and invoice you, but in this case, access to our website will be granted only after payment has been received. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing email@example.com. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.