Research Engineer, Materials Science, Ph.D.
- Experience in experimental reproduction of space environments applied to materials studies.
- Assessment of new high-temperature thermo-optical ceramic and metallic coatings for Solar Probe Plus (NASA).
- Young but valuable knowledge of the industry-level material selection and evaluation process.
- 4 articles in peer review journals and 3 oral presentations in international conferences during a 3 years PhD.
I am currently looking for my next position. I strongly wish to keep contributing to the assessment of materials for space applications, ideally at laboratory-level, with a particular interest in experimental studies requiring a demanding scientific background in materials science, physics and chemistry. I am available right away and internationally.
Dec. 2014-May 2015
Satellites Quality Assurance Materials engineer - fixed term contract (5 months)
AIRBUS DEFENSE AND SPACE, Toulouse, France
Position at the interface between the Material Quality Department and Satellite Integration:
- Management of the qualification campaigns of bonding assemblies.
- Processing of bonding anomalies reported in Integration.
- Scientific support in regards to outgassing.
Oct. 2011-Oct. 2014
Ph.D. in Applied Physics/Materials Science - Research Grant: CNES and Harvard-CfA
PROMES-CNRS Laboratoy, Odeillo, France (23 months)
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, Cambridge, USA (14 months, ITAR position)
In the frame of the development of the Solar Probe Plus mission (NASA, $1.4B, launch in 2018):
- Experimental assessment of the high temperature behavior and performance of candidate materials: optically selective ceramics for the main Thermal Protection System and tuned emissivity refractory metals for Sun-facing scientific instruments, with an emphasis on the thermo-optical properties, thermal vacuum outgassing and interaction with the near-Sun environment (synergy between high temperature - solar wind - UVs).
- Large experimental tools: ˜500 hours of first-hand experimental work with a 1 MW solar furnace associated to the instrumented MEDIASE facility (directional-spectral emissivity, optical temperature measurement up to 2500 K, ion gun, Faraday cup, VUV source, QCM, Mass Spectrometer), plus various material characterizations (DRX, MEB-EDX, Metallography, 3D-optical and mechanical profilometry, BRDF, Nano-Indentation).
- Support to the realization of Thermal Test Models for the FIELDS instrument.
• This work was part of the effort in view of the TRL-6 and PDR of the SWEAP instrument (Harvard-Smithsonian CfA) and the PDR of the FIELDS instrument (SSL, Berkeley Univ.).
• Achievement: performance demonstration of two coatings (one metallic, one ceramic) bringing a decisive cooling of the main Thermal Protection System and of one scientific instrument.
March - Aug. 2009
Materials and Processes engineer - fixed term contract (6 months)
TECHNOFAN, SAFRAN Group - Industrialization Dept, Blagnac, France
In the frame of the improvement of the materials used on the electronic boards of the Airbus A350, management of the qualification of a new spray coating process proposed by a supplier.
• Validation of the new coating, leading to a reduction of the production costs of the electronic boards by 5%.
Juil. - Sept. 2008
Research assistant - fixed term contract (3 months)
Oregon State University - Department of Inorganic Chemistry, Corvallis, USA
Synthesis and characterization of new semi-conductor materials for photovoltaic applications.
2011 - 2014
Ph.D. in Applied Physics/Materials Science,
Research Grant: CNES (French National Space Agency) and Harvard-Smithsonian CfA,
Ph.D. delivered by the Perpignan Via Dominitia Univeristy, France
2006 - 2009
M.Sc. in Materials Science and Processes,
ENSIACET engineering school, Toulouse
Metals, polymers, ceramics, semi-conductors, composites, functional materials and nano-materials, characterization techniques, elaboration processes and treatments. The scientific background is based on 60% of Chemistry and 40% of Physics.
2004 - 2006
Preparatory classes for entrance into French National Engineering Schools,
General Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics, Henri-Wallon, Valenciennes, France
(2 years of highly competitive training)
“Reducing the temperature of a C/C composite heat shield for solar probe missions with an optically selective semi-transparent pyrolytic boron nitride (pBN) coating”
Carbon, Volume 82, February 2015, Pages 39-50
E. Brodu, M. Balat-Pichelin, D. De Sousa Meneses, J.-L. Sans
“Efficiency and behavior of textured high emissivity metallic coatings at high temperature”
Materials & Design, Volume 83, 15 October 2015, Pages 85-94
E. Brodu, M. Balat-Pichelin, J.L. Sans, M.D. Freeman, J.C. Kasper
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2018 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
Recruitment agencies are only eligible for a Gold package and recruitment agencies recruiting for companies already using Space Careers will not be accepted.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing email@example.com. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.