US Permanent Resident
- Harvard University, Postdoctoral Associate June 2013-present
o Investigation of the Moon’s origin and evolution, and early solar system processes by isotopic analysis of lunar samples and meteorites using ICP-Mass Spectrometer (ICP-MS) and Thermal Ionization-Mass Spectrometer (TIMS).
o Repairing and troubleshooting of the ICP-MS with the help of GV service.
o Trace and ultra-trace elemental analysis using different types of ICP-MS.
- University of Arkansas, PhD student
* Research Assistant in Isotopic Laboratory March 2009-May 2013
o Gained experience column chromatography for sample purification and operation of ICP-MS to collect magnesium isotope data to study the Moon’s origin and evolution.
o Mentored and trained undergraduate/graduate students and international visiting scholars for chemical experiments in a cleanroom, and isotopic and elemental analysis.
* Research Assistant in TL Laboratory August 2006-January 2009
o Developed Thermoluminescence (TL) technique for analysis of small particles which resulted in receiving a three-year grant from NASA to work on stardust samples.
o Applied developed TL technique to study micrometeorites (MMs) from Antarctica to investigate the history of heating, cooling and crystallization of materials in these samples.
o Utilized SEM-EDX for pre-chemical analysis of MMs.
* Teaching Assistant August 2007- May 2008 & June 2011-May 2013
Taught general chemistry lab, fundamentals of chemistry and principles of biology lab to 2-4 classes with 20 to 30 students every week.
- University of Manchester, UK - Intern in Cosmochemistry Group February-March 2009
Collaborated with isotope group and learned iron isotopic analysis using ICP-MS.
- Shiraz University, Iran - Undergraduate/Graduate Student September 1998-August 2005
* Research Assistant in Analytical Chemistry Lab
o Applied Artificial Neural Network (ANN) system for multivariate analysis of a big data matrix collected by CCD camera and electroanalyzer and utilized this technique to analyze pharmaceutical and environmental systems.
o Modified of carbon based potentiometric sensors by using ionic liquids to simplify themeasurement and reduce the cost.
o Applied H-point standard addition method in simultaneous analysis to simplify the measurement.
* Chemistry Instructor 2004-2005
(In Sama University, Fazl Institution, & Shiraz University, Shiraz, Iran)
Taught agricultural analytical chemistry, industrial chemistry and analytical Chemistry I & II to 10-70 students; prepared the syllables, lecture notes, quizzes and exams.
- PhD in Space and Planetary Sciences
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR, May 2013.
Thesis: Magnesium isotopic compositions of the Moon and achondrites: Implication for their origin and evolution.
- M.S. in Analytical Chemistry
Chemistry Department, Shiraz University, Shiraz, Iran, July 2003.
Thesis: Application of chemometric methods in simultaneous determination of some species by using spectrophotometer, CCD camera and electroanalyzer as detection systems.
- B.S. in Chemistry
Chemistry Department, Shiraz University, Shiraz, Iran, June 1999.
- Expert in ICP-MS, MC-ICP-MS, and TIMS techniques.
- Expert on TL Instrument, UV-VIS Spectrometer, Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM-EDX).
- Familiar with analytical and characterization methods including Electrochemistry, SIMS, GC and HPLC, GC/MS, LC/MS, IC, and FT-IR.
- Familiar with Intact Protein Analysis (3-day workshop certificate from NEU and Waters Corporation).
- Expert in Microsoft Office and familiar with Matlab, Adobe Illustrator and some Chemometrics Toolbox.
- Project management experience.
- Magnesium isotopic compositions of achondrites (2015). F. Sedaghatpour* and F.-Z. Teng. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. doi:10.1016/j.gca.2015.11.016.
- The Earliest Lunar Magma Ocean Differentiation Recorded in Fe Isotopes. K. Wang*, S. B. Jacobsen, F. Sedaghatpour, H. Chen, and R.L. Korotev (2015). Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 430, 202-208.
- Inter-laboratory composition of magnesium isotopic compositions of twelve felsic to ultramafic igneous rock standards analyzed by MC-ICPMS. F.-Z. Teng et al. and F. Sedaghatpour (2015) Geochem. Geophys. Geosyst. 16, 3197-3209
- Magnesium isotopic compositions of international geostandards (2015). F.-Z. Teng*, W.-Y. Li, S. Ke, W. Yang, S.-A. Liu, F. Sedaghatpour, S.-J. Wang, K.-J. Huang, Y. Hu, M-X. Ling, Y. Xiao, X.-M. Liu, H.-O. Gu, C. K. Sio, D. A. Wallace, B.-X. Su, L. Zhao, J. Chamberlin, M. Harrington, and A. Brewer,Geostandards and Geoanalytical Research. 39, 329-339.
- Magnesium isotopic composition of the Moon. (2013) F. Sedaghatpour*, F.-Z. Teng, and D. W. G. Sears, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 120, 1-16.
- Homogeneous magnesium isotopic composition of seawater: an excellent geostandard for Mg isotope analysis. M.-X. Ling*, F. Sedaghatpour, F.-Z. Teng, P. Hays, J. Strauss and W. Sun (2011) Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 25, 2828-2836.
- Characterization of Antarctic Micrometeorites by Thermoluminescence. (2009) F. Sedaghatpour* and D. W. G. Sears, Meteoritic and planetary science 44, 653-664.
- Ionic Liquids Modify the Performance of Carbon Based Potentiometric Sensors. (2007) A. Safavi, N. Maleki, F. Honarasa*, F. Tajabadi, F. Sedaghatpour*, Electroanalysis 19, 582-586.
- Tensammetric Analysis of Nonionic Surfactant Mixtures by Artificial Neural Network. (2005) A. Safavi, F. Sedaghatpour*, H.R. Shahbaazi, Electroanalysis 17, 1112-1118.
- Single Step Calibration, Prediction and Real Samples Data Acquisition for Artificial Neural Network Using a CCD camera. (2004) A. Safavi, N. Maleki, F. Sedaghatpour*, Talanta 64, 830-835.
- Indirect Simultaneous Kinetic Determination of Semicarbazide and Hydrazine in Micellar media by H-point Standard Addition Method. (2003) A. Safavi, H. Abdollahi, F. Sedaghatpour*, M.R. Hormozinezhad, Talanta 59, 147-153.
- Kinetic spectrophotometric determination of V(IV) in the presence of V(V) by the H-point standard addition method. (2000) A. Safavi, H. Abdollahi*, F. Sedaghatpour, Z. Zeinali, Anal. Chim. Acta. 409, 275-282.
(* With greatest contribution)
Most Recent Conference Papers
- Calcium isotopes, the Moon’s origin and magmatic evolution (2015). In Goldschmidt Conference. F. Sedaghatpour*, C. PARENDO, and S. B. Jacobsen.
- Hf-W and the isotopic crisis for the giant impact origin of the Moon. S. B. Jacobsen*, F. Sedaghatpour, M. I. Petaev, and G. Yu. . Lunar and Planetary Science XLVI (2015) [#2827].
- Lunar dunite reveals the same iron isotopic composition of the bulk silicate Earth and Moon. K. Wang*, S.B. Jacobsen, F. Sedaghatpour, H. Chen, and R.L. Korotev (2015). . Lunar and Planetary Science XLVI (2015) [#1980].
- Magnesium isotopic composition of achondrites and behavior of Mg isotopes during magmatic differentiation of achondrites parent bodies. F. Sedaghatpour*, and F.-Z. Teng. Lunar and Planetary Science XLV (2014) [#2101].
- Behavior of magnesium isotopes during lunar magmatic differentiation. F. Sedaghatpour*, F.-Z. Teng, Y. Liu, D. W. G. Sears, and L. A. Taylor. Lunar and Planetary Science XLIII (2012) [#2884].
- Magnesium isotopic composition of the Moon: implication for its origin and evolution. F. Sedaghatpour*, and F.-Z. Teng. Meteoritic and planetary science 45 (2010), A186.
- Magnesium isotopic composition of the Moon. F. Sedaghatpour*, and F.-Z. Teng. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 74 (2010), A929 (Oral presentation).
- A study of the thermal history of antarctic micrometeorite by thermoluminescence: A first look. F. Sedaghatpour*, J. Craig, and D. W. G. Sears, Lunar and Planetary Science XXXIX (2008) [#1161].
- Thermoluminescence as a technique for determining the nature and history of small particles. D. W. G. Sears*, F. Sedaghatpour, and J. Craig. 71st Annual Meteoritical Society Meeting (2008) [# 5241].
- Re-Os isotope dating of meteorites and early solar system chronology: A review. F. Sedaghatpour* and D. W. G. Sears, Workshop on Chronology of Meteorite (2007), [#4012].
- Cathodoluminescence properties of the Semarkona chondrite: An implication for mineralogy of interstellar dust particles of the stardust mission. D. Sears*, A. Gucsik, J. Craig, F. Sedaghatpour, W. Graupner, Lunar and Planetary Science XXXVIII (2007) [#1051].
- Fragments of separated opaque matrix from the Semarkona unequilibrated ordinary chondrite. J. Craig, F. Sedaghatpour, A. Gucsik, D. Sears, Lunar and Planetary Science XXXVIII (2007) [#1095].
- A thermoluminesence Study of Semarkona chondrite: An application on determination of metamorphic history of stardust particles. D. Sears, A. Gucsik, J. Craig, F. Sedaghatpour*, W. Graupner, Lunar and Planetary Science XXXVIII (2007) [#1055].
- Member of American Chemical Society, Meteoritical Society, Geochemical Society, and American Geophysical Union.
- Recipient of travel award for Chronology of Meteorite (2007) and Goldschmidt conference (2010).
- 2012 first place award for the poster competition in “From Abstract to Contract: Graduate Student Research Symposium and Career Networking” at the University of Arkansas.
Leadership and Volunteering
- President of Iranian Student Association at University of Arkansas
- Volunteer to help new international student at University of Arkansas
- Volunteer in Child Foundation
- Volunteering in Chemical Engineering Department December 2012-May 2013
o Collaborated with Dr. Ranil Wickramasinghe to open a Center of Membrane Applied Science and Technology (MAST Center) at the University of Arkansas.
o Performed literature reviews on application of membrane in water sustainability and made presentations for applications of membrane in waste water treatments for three companies to convince them to sponsor the MAST center in Arkansas.