I am a vastly experienced satellite operations analyst and operations team leader who has an excellent track record in the satellite spacecraft industry, telecommunications and Royal Air Force over the last 25 years. Experienced in managing teams, highly competent in state of the art computerized communication systems and managing 24-hour operations for two meteorological satellites in a highly pressurised environment. I am an excellent team leader and an effective problem solver who has developed excellent professional working relationships with key business and government clients in Europe and worldwide. I am looking for a new challenge to use my skills and am prepared to relocate to fulfil an exciting and fulfilling role.
Serco at EUMETSAT (European Organisation for Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites) Darmstadt, Germany (2004-15)
May 2011 – October 2015 EPS Analyst and Controller Team Leader
My role was to manage a team of 17 Satellite Controllers and Analysts to command and control two of Europe’s first polar orbiting satellites that monitor weather and climate from space. It was my team’s responsibility to ensure the continued communication and data collection from these satellites 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to supply weather, climate and ocean satellite data and images to the National Meteorological Service in Europe and other government/civilian users worldwide.
2007 – May 2011 EUMETSAT Polar System Analyst
As spacecraft analyst, responsibilities included providing training to operational spacecraft controllers, anomaly investigation and analysis, liaising with spacecraft engineers and interfacing between engineers and controllers to ensure operations were completed successfully, spacecraft database maintenance, updates and changes.
2004 – May 2007 EPS Controller
A senior satellite controller providing 24-hour support by monitoring and controlling polar orbiting satellites for EUMETSATs Polar System programme. Responsible for the monitoring and controlling of satellites and related ground systems providing meteorological scientific data to the user community and reacting to and rectifying anomalies on the satellite or ground systems.
Cable & Wireless, European Space Agency (ESA) Tracking Station, Ascension Island
Sept 2002 – December 2003 Telecommunications Technician
I worked as part of a four-man team responsible for the operation and maintenance of the ESA’s Tracking and Telemetry Station on Ascension Island. This included tracking the Arianne launcher during its flight to position satellites; monitoring data received and relayed to CNES and carrying out routine maintenance of the tracking antenna and associated systems.
Omne Communications Ltd, Carlisle, England
Oct 2001 – July 2002 Network Technician & Deputy Technical Manager
Worked as a Network Technician in a start-up telecommunications and cable TV Company assisting in the commissioning of an SDH and HFC network; operational maintenance on acceptance of the network; analysed faults, tracked network usage.
Ericsson CVN (Paris, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Amsterdam, London, Zurich and Geneva)
March 2000 – August 2001 Commissioning Engineering
Worked as a Technician commissioning Ericsson SDH DACCS for a European customer. Role involved liaising with European customer across multiple sites; supervision of installation teams; planning and management of equipment commissioning including expanding lives systems and software upgrades.
NTL, (Belfast, Londonderry and Dublin)
Feb 1996 – March 2000 Telecommunications and Cable TV Technician
Promoted to Project Manager responsible for new installations and operations of equipment including DMS telephone exchanges, SDH networks, Cable TV headend and networks. Analysed network capacity, usage and planning for expansion.
Royal Air Force
Jan 1983 – Feb 1996 Sergeant / Electronic Telecommunications Technician
Promoted to Sergeant with responsibility for management of six man communications maintenance team overseeing the engineering maintenance of ground communications and effective implementation of new voice and data communication systems.
Key skills and competencies:
· Over 30 years’ experience in managing and solving complex telecommunication issues; network faults; satellite communication issues;
· Undertook a comprehensive review of EPS Controller and Analyst activities, resulting in significant improvement in the overall efficiency and reliability of EPS operations.
· Highly experienced in investigating and analysing anomalies to find timely and workable solutions for stakeholders.
· Competent in assessing working practices and procedures to solve problems and prevent re-occurrence.
Working under pressure
· Managed a team supporting two multi-million-euro spacecraft at an altitude of 817 Km with an orbiting period of 101 minutes. My team had a 15-minute window for the command and control of each spacecraft approximately every 35 minutes. This meant visual monitoring, fault analysis and repair had to be completed in very short time periods to ensure the continuous transmission, processing and delivery of the data to the user community within a 2¼ hour deadline from sensing time.
· It was my responsibility to oversee and supervise the controller team taking urgent corrective actions in the event of a failure on board the satellites or with the ground systems in a safe and prompt manner.
Technical /IT Skills
· Over 30 years installing, commissioning, fault finding and repair in a wide range of computerized information systems.
· Highly experienced in the practical use of Oracle databases; SQL scripts; UNIX systems.
· Responsible for the updating and changing of a complex database containing information of all the telemetry points used on satellites; used the database to set limits to generate alarms for breaches; created and updated new telemetry points and spacecraft commands on the Oracle database.
· Generated database system files and installed then on a system test environment including completing simulations to ensure commands were successfully configured.
Management and training of staff
· Experienced in managing teams for the last 20 years.
· Significant experience in analysing work roles and tasks – Completed a complete review of roles and responsibilities of the Analysts and Controllers in the Mission Control Centre and designed new structure and responsibilities to include upskilling Controllers through a programme of training to undertake greater responsibility and competence in dealing with routine maintenance and unforeseen problems during the required 24 hours /365-day cover.
· Devised new working practices and a training programme for staff to accommodate the additional workload following the launch of a 2nd satellite.
· Over 25 years providing appropriate mentoring and training for staff working in high pressure, safety critical roles.
· Trained, mentored and assessed international graduates in a rigorous induction training programme at EUMETSAT with a very high level of success.
· Revised a 3-month induction training programme for new Controllers based on updated technical procedures
· Devised refresher training sessions for EPS Controllers and provided the training using PowerPoint presentations, practical assessments, simulation tests and group exercises.
Data Collection and Analysis
· Had day to day responsibility for EUMETSAT’s EPS data collection from a series of 19 instruments aboard each satellite to ensure a constant stream of real time scientific data was transmitted to end users.
· Analysed scientific data and produced statistics and reports on this data to the customer.
Document systems, control and management
· Created, reviewed and updated critical documents using existing document management tools and configuration control systems and processes.
· Prior to the launch of a 2nd polar orbiting spacecraft, I reviewed existing operating procedures, assessing the impact on staff workloads and prepared highly specific operational procedures for staff to include routine operations, checklist for prioritizing problems and a programme of corrective action to ensure the smooth running of these very high value satellites.
· Vastly experienced in building effective working relationships with global government and civilian organizations including Meteorological Services Worldwide i.e. NOAA, Met Office, MeteoFrance, ECMWF.
· Participated in teleconferences; face to face meetings; global presentations to maximize co-operation with partners in counterpart agencies in Europe and USA while working at EUMETSAT.
· Safety control and security
· Have extensive experience working in safety critical roles managing health and safety of my team and equipment.
· Responsible for 24-hour safety of the satellites through monitoring of operations, systems and timely fault analysis.
· Devised and implemented safe operating procedures for satellite operations which ensured the safety of resources and data to users.
Membership of Professional Organisations
· Member of Institute of Leadership and Management (Membership Number 10465819)
Business and Technician Education Council National Certificates in Aerospace Studies – Avionics, No1 Radio School, Royal Air Force Locking, Jan 1983 to June 1984
Continuing Professional Development
Includes Defence Secure Communications Maintenance, Telegraph, Voice and Data. Digital Communications, SDH multiplexer, Nortel DMS100 maintenance.
Train the Trainer, Impact Factory, London. October 2014. (Training techniques for people who are required to give presentations and training)
Space Systems Engineering Course, University of Southampton. July 2007.
Oracle database and SQL training, Com Training Services, Germany. December 2009.
Currently studying for the PRINCS2 Foundation exam.
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £350 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2017 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)562211007 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)562211007.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)562211007 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
Recruitment agencies are only eligible for a Gold package and recruitment agencies recruiting for companies already using Space Careers will not be accepted.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing email@example.com. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.