November 2015 to present :
Industriestraße 1, 82140 Olching
▪ Software Development for Data loggers using C/C++/QT in Scrum team.
March 2014 - June 2015
PhD student (external) – jointly with DLR (German Aerospace Centre)
Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences - Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel
24118 Kiel, Germany,
March 2009 - June 2015
Research /PhD Student
Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt; DLR - (German Aerospace Center) ,
Oberpfaffenhofen, Münchner Straße 20,
82234 Weßling, Germany
▪ Development of algorithms to retrieve geophysical parameters from synthetic aperture radar (SAR) data from the TerraSAR-X/TanDEM–X satellites; ocean wave height, period and direction, wave spectral information and sea surface wind.
▪ Processing and analysis of satellite data: (SAR, radar altimeter and radar scatterometer), numerical wave model data and in-situ data.
▪ Tuning and validation of ocean surface measurements (wave height and sea surface wind speed) derived from data with in-situ wave measurements, numerical wave model data and radar altimeter data. Development of a data-base composed of geophysical parameters derived from SAR.
▪ Development of software tools (using C++, IDL, and MATLAB) to use on SAR data acquired by the satellite TerraSAR-X and TanDem-X (TS-X/TD-X).
▪ Derivation off high resolution wave field maps from SAR data to determine the change in sea state variability in coastal areas and the changes of depth in the variability of the coastal ocean waves.
▪ Statistical analysis of data, study of correlations within the data, trends, parameterization of the results.
▪ Elaborations of project reports, organization and participation in project meetings and other administrative tasks.
▪ Presentation of results in staff, institute and national and international workshops and conferences and publishing of results in the form of proceeding or peer-reviewed papers.
▪ Supervision from Masters students and interns
December 2007 to December 2008:
LNEG National Laboratory of Energy and Geology
Ocean Wave Energy Group –Department of Renewable Energies
Estrada do Paço do Lumiar, n.º 22, Edifício G, 1º andar
1649-038 Lisboa, Portugal
▪ Wave and wind energy resource assessment - using data from different sources ( remote sensed based, numerical model based and in-situ) to provide statistical information, which was in the form of geo based maps with multiple layer information, histograms, viewgraphs or other statistical displayed.
▪ Development of software tools (Fortran 90, IDL, C++) to use with radar altimeter (Jason-1, Topex, ERS, ENVISAT), ASAR, (ENVISAT) satellite data, ocean colour (Modis Aqua) satellite data and numerical wave model (WAM, WW3, swan) data.
▪ Processing and statistical analysis of radar altimeter, buoy wave measurements sea surface wind and anemometer wind data.
▪ Implementation and testing of the wave numerical model for coastal applications SWAN (http://www.swan.tudelft.nl/ ), for the coast of Portugal, to study the ocean wave refraction, wave height and wavelength change.
▪ Elaboration of a webpage with information regarding wave and wind energy connected to a GIS based database.
▪ Project management, elaborations of reports.
▪ Publishing of results in the form of proceeding or peer-reviewed papers.
▪ Elaboration of proceedings and presentations/posters held in national and international meetings and workshops.
from October 2007 to
IFREMER - Institut français de recherche pour l'exploitation de la mere 155, rue Jean-Jacques Rousseau
92138 Issy-les-Moulineaux Cedex
▪ Development of software tools to use with radar altimeter data.
▪ Processing of collocated radar altimeter and in-situ wave data.
▪ Statistical analysis and verification of algorithms applied to satellite radar altimeter data.
from June 2006 to
1) LNEG National Laboratory of Energy and Geology, http://www.lneg.pt/
Department of Renewable Energies
Estrada do Paço do Lumiar, n.º 22, Edifício G, 1º andar
1649-038 Lisboa, Portugal
2) Institute of Oceanography - Faculty of Science of Lisbon, http://www.io.fc.ul.pt/
,Campo Grande, 1749-016 Lisboa, PORTUGAL
▪ Development of software tools (in Fortran90, IDL, C/C++) to use with radar altimeter (Jason-1, Topex/Poseidon, ERS), ocean colour (hyper spectral) Modis Aqua satellite data, and numerical wind/waves model data.
▪ Processing and statistical analysis of the satellites Topex/Poseidon and Jason radar altimetry data, Modis Aqua ocean colour and Quickscat wind vectors data.
▪ Construction of a remote sensed database composed of ocean observations: sea surface parameters, wave height and wind, obtained by radar altimeters, sea surface wind speed estimation using radar scatterometers and of ocean colour, Chlorophyll (Chl-a) concentration obtained by Modis Aqua satellite.
from May 2005 to
LNEG National Laboratory of Energy and Geology, http://www.lneg.pt/
Estrada do Paço do Lumiar, n.º 22, Edifício G, 1º andar
1649-038 Lisboa, Portugal
▪ Processing and analysis Topex/Poseidon radar altimeter data to evaluate the wave height, wave period, sea surface wind and its use for wave energy resource assessment.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
(2009 - 2015) Doctor of Natural Sciences. Grade: very good
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel - Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
PhD dissertation: Sea state measurements using TerraSAR-X/TanDEM-Xdata.
In the aim of this thesis, the first algorithm to derive sea state: ocean wave height, wavelength and direction information from TerraSAR-X and TanDem-X synthetic aperture radar (SAR) data is developed. The algorithm development, its tuning and validation data-set are described. Wave height, period and direction and the wave spectra shape derived using the algorithm are validated against in-situ wave measurements and numerical wave model data. Case study applications of high resolution wave field derived from SAR data acquired in coastal areas using the proposed algorithm are presented and its performance evaluated.
2006 - 2008:
Masters in Geophysical Sciences – Oceanography, Grade: very good
University of Lisbon – Faculty of Sciences of Lisbon , Portugal http://www.fc.ul.pt/
Master’s thesis dissertation: Directional wave spectra obtained by ENVISAT ASAR and its use for the ocean wave energy resource assessment. This study focuses on the use of ENVISAT SAR level 2 data acquired over the sea surface and the evaluation of its performance by comparing against in-situ wave measurements, numerical wave model and radar altimeter data.
▪ Remote Sensing
▪ Risk Analysis
▪ Statistical analysis
1999 – 2006:
Degree in Geophysics - Oceanography/Meteorology
University of Lisbon – Faculty of Sciences of Lisbon http://www.fc.ul.pt/
Integrated in Masters, including one year internship, internship grade: very good
Internship thesis: Evaluation of the ocean waves energy resource using remote Topex/Poseidon radar altimeter sensed data - the topic of this study focuses on the evaluation of the quality of sea surface parameters obtained by radar altimeters and its application to evaluate the wave energy resource (wave height and energy period)
▪ Numerical methods, Infinitesimal Calculus, Statistical methods, Physics (Theoretical and Experimental Physics, Programming, Seminars in Meteorology and Oceanography, Astronomy, Seismology, Business and Administration and Economics.
1996 – 1999:
High school - Scientific field
High school of the University City Lisbon
Campo Grande – Lisbon, Portugal
▪ Scientific field
1990 – 1996:
German School Lisbon - (Deutsche Schule Lissabon )
Rua Prof. Francisco Lucas Pires, Lisbon , Portugal
Mother tongue(s) Portuguese
Other language(s) UNDERSTANDING SPEAKING WRITING
Listening Reading Spoken interaction Spoken production
English C2 C2 C2 C2 C2
German C2 C2 C1 C1 C1
French B1 B2 A2 A2 A2
Spanish B2 B1 B1 A2 A2
Levels: A1/2: Basic user - B1/2: Independent user - C1/2 Proficient user
Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
Communication skills Good communications skills (oral and written):
Oral: Experience gained through professional career by discussing ideas, tasks, conclusions and results with students, team members, and project partners. Discussing in workshop meetings, presentation of results in meetings, workshops, conferences. Written: elaboration of project reports, progress reports, documents, tutorials, drafts, project emails, code documentations, etc. Elaboration of diploma thesis, Master’s thesis and PhD thesis, Elaboration from research papers in conference and peer reviewed scientific journal papers
Organisational / managerial skills Organization and management skills
Gained experience through my university background and professional career by managing my several tasks in different projects, including my PhD. All tasks finished on time.
Ability to work as an individual and in team
Through my professional experience in big companies/institutes and university background I am used to work as an individual or team.
Job-related skills Strong research and analytical mind :
Several years’ experience on different research projects in the remote sensing field, processing and analysing different types of data. analysis, development of algorithms and software development.
Strong sense of responsibility:
Finished PhD successfully with grade very good. Responsible for the development of algorithms for the retrieval of sea state parameters from TerraSAR-X Synthetic Aperture Radar data. All project goals completed on time.
Creative, flexible and adaptive:
Able to learn new topics very fast and work in different topics and tasks in parallel.
Experience in working in different projects with team members and project partners from different nationalities.
Computer skills ▪ Windows and Linux (OpenSuse, Solaris, Ubuntu)
▪ Microsoft Office™ tools
▪ Main Programming languages: C/C++, QT, MATLAB, IDL and Fortran90.
▪ Libraries: QT, Openev, openCV.
▪ Software: MS-Visual Studio, Git, SVN, MATLAB, ArcGIS, Virtualbox Eclipse, Valgrind, ENVI, ESA-Enviview, ESA-NEST, ESA-BEAM, NASA-SeaDAS, WAsP, Gimp, Notepad++, Google earth, R, STATISTICA.
Other skills .Drawing
Driving licence ▪ B
Peer Reviewed Publications:
Lehner, S., Pleskachevsky, A. and Bruck, M., High resolution satellite measurements of coastal wind field and sea state, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 33, 23, pp. 7337-7360, 2012, doi: 10.1080/01431161.2012.685975.
Bruck, M., and Lehner S., Coastal wave field extraction using TerraSAR-X data, Journal of Applied Remote Sensing, 7(1), 073694, 2013, doi: 10.1117/1.JRS.7.073694.
Lehner, S., Pleskachevsky, A., Li, X., Brusch, S., Bruck, M. and Velotto D., SAR Oceanography: Wind, Waves, Currents and Oil detection, Education TOOL, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Germany, 2013.
Lehner, S., Pleskachevsky, A., Brusch, S., Bruck, M., Soccorsi, M. and Velotto, D., Ship Surveillance with High Resolution TerraSAR-X Satellite in African Waters, Remote Sensing of the African Seas Springer Netherlands, pp. 285-313. ISBN 978-94-017-8007-0 (P) 978-94-017-8008-7 (E). ISSN, 2014, doi: 10.1007/978-94-017-8008-7_15.
Bruck, M. and Lehner S., TerraSAR-X/TanDEM-X Sea State Measurements Using the XWAVE Algorithm, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 36, 15, pp. 3890-3912, 2015, doi: 10.1080/01431161.2015.1051630.
Peer Reviewed Proceedings:
Pontes, M.T., and Bruck, M., Using Remote Sensed Data for Wave energy Resource Assessment, In Proceedings of 27th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering (OMAE2008) , OMAE2008-57775 ASME 2008, Estoril, Portugal, June 15–20, 2008.
Bruck, M., Pontes, M.T., Azevedo, E. and Lehner, S., Study of Sea-State Variability and Wave Groupiness Using TerraSAR-X Synthetic Aperture Radar Data. In Proceedings of EWTEC 2011 on CD, pp. 1-7. 9th EWTEC 2011, Southampton, UK, 5 - 9 September, 2011.
Bruck, M. and Lehner, S., Sea state measurements using TerraSAR-X data, In Proceedings of IEEE, International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), Munich Germany, pp. 7609-7612,2, 2012, doi: 10.1109/IGARSS.2012.6351866.
Pontes, M. T., M. Gonçalves, M. Bruck, , Using Satellite Altimeter Data for Wave Energy Resource Assessment, In Proceedings of World Renewable Energy Congress IX and Exhibition, Florence , Italy, http://www.wrenuk.co.uk/, 19 - 25 August, 2006.
Pontes, M.T., M. Gonçalves, and M. Bruck, Using Satellite Altimeter Data for Wave Energy Resource Assessment, In Proceedings of the 4th Coordinated Action on Ocean Energy (CA-OE) Workshop on Performance Monitoring of Ocean Energy Systems, Lisbon, www.pmoes.ineti.pt, 2006.
Pontes, M. T. and M. Bruck, Satellite wave data for wave energy resource assessment, In Proceedings of Globwave Workshop - Ocean wave data user workshop, Brest, France, 20 - 21 September 2007.
Bruck, M., and M. T. Pontes, Satellite data for wave energy resource assessment, In Proceedings of European Geosciences Union, General Assembly - EGU, Vienna, Austria, 13 – 18 April, 2008
Bruck, M., J. Silva, and M.T. Pontes, “Is there a correlation between chlorophyll-a concentration and wave climate?”, In Proceedings of European Geosciences Union, General Assembly - EGU, Vienna, Austria ,13 – 18 April, 2008.
Pontes M.T., P. Costa, M. Bruck and A. Carvalho, “Joint Assessment of Offshore Wind and Wave Energy Resources for the Portuguese Pilot Zone”, In ASME 2009 28th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, Volume 4: Ocean Engineering; Ocean Renewable Energy; Ocean Space Utilization, Parts A and B, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, May 31–June 5, 2009, ISBN: 978-0-7918-4344-4 | eISBN: 978-0-7918-3844-0.
Pontes, T., M. Bruck, S. Lehner, and A. Kabuth, Using satellite Wave data for wave Energy Resource Characterization, In Proceedings of ICOE 2010, 3rd International Conference on Ocean Energy ICOE, Bilbao, Spain, 6 -8 October, 2010.
Bruck, M. and S. Lehner, Extraction of wave field from TerraSAR-X data, In Proceedings of SEASAR 2010 Workshop (ESA-SP 679 (on CD-ROM)). ESA Communication Production Office. SEASAR 2010 Workshop, Frascati, Italy, 25 - 29 Jan, 2010.
Bruck, M. and Lehner S., Sea state measurements using TerraSAR-X data, In Proceedings of 4th Science meeting at the German Aerospace center- DLR, Wessling, Germany, 14-16 Feb., 2011.
Lehner, S., and Pleskachevsky, A., and Bruck, Miguel and Li, Xiao-Ming and Brusch, Stephan (2011) Validation of Coastal Wind and Wave Fields by High Resolution Satellite Data. In: Proceedings of 12th international workshop on wave hindcasting and forecasting,.Kohala Coast, Big Island, Hawaii, 30. Okt. - 4. Nov, 2011.
Lehner, S., Pleskachevsky, A., and Bruck, M., Sea State Variability and Coastal Interaction Processes Observed by High Resolution TerraSAR-X Satellite Radar Images, In Proceedings of IGARSS 2012 pp. 5638-5641. IEEE Press. IGARSS 2012, ISBN 978-1-4673-1158-8 (e) 978-1-4673-1160-1 (p). ISSN 2153-6996, Munich, Germany, 22. -27. July, 2012, DOI: 10.1109/IGARSS.2012.6352040.
Bruck, M. and Lehner, S., Sea State Measurements Using TerraSAR-X Data. In: Proceedings of SEASAR 2012 (Abstract Book), p. 46. SEASAR 2012, Tromso ,Norway, 18 - 22 June, 2012.
Bruck, M. and Lehner, S., Sea state measurements using TerraSAR-X data, In Proceeding of SPIE 2012 conference - SPIE 8536, SAR Image Analysis, Modeling, and Techniques XII, Edinburgh, United Kingdom, November 21, 2012.
Jacobsen, S., Lehner, S., Bruck, M., Gies, T., Pleskachevsky, A., Rosenthal, W. and Bruns, T., 2014, Investigation of coastal wave fields variations with TerraSAR-X. In: Geophysical Research Abstracts, 16, p. 1. EGU 2014, 27 April – 2 May, 2014, Vienna, Austria, 2014.
Jacobsen, S., Lehner, S., Pleskachevsky, A., Bruck M., Rosenthal, W., and Mayerle, R., 2014, Analysis of the spatial variability of meteo-marine parameters: An opportunity in assessing ocean renewable energy potential with high resolution space-borne SAR. In: Proceedings of the 2014 IEEE International Geoscience & Remote Sensing Symposium and 35th Canadian Symposium on Remote Sensing. IGARSS 2014, Québec, Canada, 13. - 18. Jul. 2014, ISBN 978-1-4799-5774-3.
Jacobsen, S., Lehner, S., Pleskachevsky, A., Bruck, M., Gebhardt, C. Rosenthal, W., Zheng, X. and Mayerle, R. (2015) Strongly inhomogeneous meteo-marine parameters in coastal waters: A high resolution spaceborn SAR study to assess the local ocean renewable energy potential. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS) 2015, pp. 1-4. IEEE. IGARSS 2015, Milan, Italy, 26 - 31 July, 2015.
▪ Master degree certificate
▪ PhD provisional certificate.
▪ German Aerospace Centre Graduate Program Certificate.
▪ Work certificates
▪ Recommendation letters.
▪ Courses certificates (C++, python, Java, Project management)