As a final-year PhD student from the University of Surrey, with a Masters degree in Space Systems Engineering, I have performed my own research and participated in several group projects. I have also undertaken a number of placements for OHB System AG, which has provided me with experience in the concept design selection and testing of space instrumentation, as well as working in an international environment.
Education and Qualifications
PhD in Electronic Engineering: “Advancing the Dual-Reciprocating Drill Design for Efficient Planetary Subsurface Exploration”
Surrey Space Centre, University of Surrey, 2013 - Present.
• Outstanding Paper Award for Young Scientists: Awarded by the Committee on Space Research for the paper “Analysis of drill head designs for dual-reciprocating drilling technique in planetary regoliths.”
This work investigated new techniques for improving the performance and furthering the design of the biologically-inspired dual-reciprocating drill. This included the testing of various drill heads, the design and construction of a novel integrated actuation mechanism and the effects of the presence of ice on the properties of lunar regolith.
• Skills developed: performing concept design and trade-off studies, mechanism construction and simulation using the Solid Edge CAD software, and the use of data acquisition systems with MatLab and Arduino.
MEng with First Class Honours in Space Systems Engineering
University of Southampton, 2008 - 12.
• Certificate of Merit: Awarded for the best final year (Part IV) results, 2012.
Main topics covered:
• Basic, flight, fluid and solid mechanics, engineering mathematics
• Group design and engineering, including concurrent with space applications
• Astronautics, aerospace engineering, thermodynamics, propulsion, materials
• Spacecraft instrumentation, engineering and structural design
• Electrical systems, avionics, control systems and robotics
MatLab and Python programming and Solid Works CAD design
Group project experience includes a final-year project to design a test-bed for a high-altitude balloon, planning of a moon orbiter mission using the concurrent design technique and working with physics students from Irish and Spanish universities to design a gamma-ray observatory satellite.
Summer Course: Human Spaceflight and Exploration
Achieved an A grade on the ECTS scale. Umea University, Sweden, 2010.
A-Levels and GCSEs
A-Level subjects and grades: Mathematics (A), Further Mathematics (A), Physics (A), Chemistry (A), German (C)
10 GSCEs grade A* - A, including Maths and English
Sir Roger Manwood’s School, Sandwich, 2001 - 08
Relevant Work Experience
Research Assistant on behalf of OHB System AG
• Two placements at IWF in Graz, Austria, to design new preparation procedures for the controlled development of icy lunar polar regolith simulants, 2014.
• Three placements at IWF to examine the cementation and crust formation of Mars regolith simulants, and to test the operation of the PSDDS and Crushing Station subsystems for the ExoMars SPDS, 2015 - 16.
• Developed a concept design for the L-GRASP sampling acquisition tool as part of a trade-off study by Selex ES for the Luna-Resurs lander mission, 2014.
Intern at the University of Southampton and Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd
• Worked with PhD students on the data and power budget analysis of the European Student Moon Orbiter, 2011.
Other Work and Volunteer Experience
• Offered tutorial support for mathematics and electronic engineering students.
• Given tours to UCAS students of the Surrey Space Centre.
• Events director and secretary committee member of the UK Students for the Exploration and Development of Space (UKSEDS).
• Volunteered to help pupils in various workshops at Wyvern Technology College during its Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) week.
Hobbies and Interests
I have played the piano for over ten years, and have started to learn the guitar. I enjoy playing football and squash, as well as going cycling and jogging. I also enjoy reading, and would like to write my own novel in the future.
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £350 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2017 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)562211007 or send us an email at email@example.com. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)562211007.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)562211007 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
Recruitment agencies are only eligible for a Gold package and recruitment agencies recruiting for companies already using Space Careers will not be accepted.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.