SENIOR CONTROL SYSTEMS ENGINEER · SOFTWARE, GIS & AEROSPACE
D.O.B: 27 Sep 1988, Married, SA Citizen, SA Secret Security Clearance
I am an experienced engineer with an entrepreneurial streak, embodying varied interests, mostly in the aerospace, GIS, artificial intelligence, computer graphics, big-data, and informatics fields. I continually strive to explore new areas of work, aiming to grow and innovate in the process. I enjoy stimulating, challenging work but believe in a balanced lifestyle as well. Technical quality is the key aspect of my work ethic, but I also place a lot of importance on integrity and trustworthiness.
University of Pretoria Pretoria, South Africa
DOCTOR OF PHILOSPOHY, ELECTRONIC ENGINEERING, 2018 – Present (Ongoing)
University of KwaZulu-Natal Durban, South Africa
MASTER OF ENGINEERING (MENG), AEROSPACE, 2010–2012
University of KwaZulu-Natal Durban, South Africa
BACHELOR OF ENGINEERING (BENG), MECHANICAL 2006–2009
• Best Final Year Project Award (2009)
• Dean’s Commendation in all eight semesters
• Graduated Summa-Cum-Laude
Skills and Interests
Software Related C, C++, C#, Java (Android), Python
Graphics Related Blender, Autodesk Maya, Lightwave, 3DS-Max, OpenGL, DirectX, Unreal Engine
GIS-related ArcGIS, QGIS, GDAL
Engineering-related MATLAB (with Simulink), AutoDesk, AutoCAD Inventor, StarCCM+
Areas of Interest Geographic Information Sciences/Systems, Data Analysis, Mathematical Modeling, Simulations and System Design, Computer Graphics, Visualization
Documentation Advanced MS Office Proficiency (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project) and Latex
Languages English, Bengali
Denel Dynamics SOE Pretoria, South Africa
SENIOR CONTROL SYSTEMS ENGINEER (GUIDANCE & CONTROL), 2012 – Present
• Denel Dynamics is a global supplier of world class Missile and Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) solutions.
• Conceptualization, design and implementation of guidance, navigation and control (GNC) software for various missile and defense related systems – surface-to-air, guided artillery, guided munitions and UAVs
• Development of linear model based autopilot designs for a variety of flying weapon systems
• Detailed mathematical modeling of complex missile systems and their complete battlefield environments for mass war-game simulations in C/C++, MATLAB and Simulink
• Development of custom software for missile flight dynamics simulations in time and space
• Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulations (HILS) design, development and implementation
• Distributed computing on local networks
• Extensive technical document writing experience
• Software qualification and coding standards compliance and version control
• Extensive ground and flight testing experience on multiple missile systems incl. data reduction and failure analysis
• Project planning and team-leadership including budgeting
• Extensive mentorship and knowledge management exercises (have mentored more than a dozen young engineers)
• Involvement in candidate engineer interviews and the recruitment process
• Client interactions and presentations
Academy Mobile Johannesburg, South Africa
SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT AND ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE INNOVATION, 2017 – Present
• Academy Mobile is a lean technology start-up that aims to revolutionize corporate learning using mobile chatbot technology
• Design and implementation of innovative chatbot and natural language (NL) AI solutions on Android platforms
• Analytics logging and analysis in real-time and scheduled time-frames – client dashboard generation
• Databases – RDBMS design and implementation – SQL and NoSQL on cloud platforms
• User experience (UX) design and user satisfaction survey and analysis
• Budgeting and cash flow
• Project planning
• Client interactions
In a Private Consulting Capacity Durban/Pretoria, South Africa, 2003-Present
• Development of 3D rendering software engines for real-time flight simulations, including terrain, vegetation, atmosphere, buildings and infrastructure. GUIS based implementation on Windows operating systems
• Aerial imagery/Satellite imagery processing and analysis: Landsat 7/8, EO1 ALI, SPOT and ASTER including geo-registration, pan-sharpening, NDVI and surface reflectance transformations. Image stitching, band manipulation, histogram/color equalization, artificial intelligence based classification and coordinate re-projections.
• Custom hi-quality 2D and 3D static and/or real-time geo-visualization of massive vector/raster datasets including cadastral, elevation, water, LIDAR, transportation and ecological datasets. Rendition of giga-pixel images and use of sub-pixel rendering methods
• Open data collection and formatting: collection of terabytes of detailed vector/raster datasets from over 100 countries, including census, cadastral, elevation, water, infrastructure and climatic data and conversion to standard simple raster and vector formats (binary/bmp and shapefile) for use in geo-visualization and analytics applications
• Development of computationally fast algorithms for map re-projections and basic geo-data cleaning and quality assurance processes
• Application of artificial neural networks (ANN) and genetic algorithms (GA) for the classification of geo-data
• Development of ray-tracing software engine for photo-realistic 3D rendering of complex 3D models and geo-datasets
• Custom GUI/database/software solution development for various computer graphics and simulation applications
• Use of procedural techniques for massive content generation, realistic texture and material modeling, terrain modeling and massive data compression
• Development of software capable of computationally efficient fluid simulation and fluid/gas visualization
• Development of Android applications for geo-data visualization and/or data collection
PhD: AI Based Autonomous Vehicle Safety in a 3rd World Context - Supervised by Prof. P. J. de Villiers at the University of Pretoria, Ongoing
PhD THESIS January 2018 – Present
• Problem Identification, Proposal Writing and Research Motivation
• Development of simulation models of autonomous vehicles, sensors and realistic 3rd world road environs
• Simulation model evaluation, test design and test planning
• Pre-training and evaluation of machine learning based safe-driving algorithms
• Data collection and integration from various sources and formats (photo, video, LiDAR, GIS)
• Utilization of game engines for photorealistic and physics based environment emulations
• Thesis writing
MSc: Development and Flight Testing of a Hybrid Sounding Rocket – Supervised by Dr. MJ Brooks at the University of KwaZulu-Natal Aerospace Research Group (ASReG) at the School of Mechanical Engineering
MASTERS THESIS January 2010 – December 2012
• Development of detailed flight simulation software algorithms for sounding rockets
• Development of artificially intelligent sounding rocket design algorithms (genetic algorithms based)
• Implementation of user friendly GUI with integrated geo-data for sounding rocket flight test planning
• Use of software in iterative design of Pheonix-1A hybrid sounding rocket, Africa’s first such rocket
• Detailed mechanical design (with design for manufacture and assembly in mind), CFD and FEA analysis
• Parts manufacture and procurement, assembly and ground testing
• Flight testing of Phoenix-1A sounding rocket at Denel Overberg Test Range (DOTR), Western Cape
• Flight test data analysis and validation of simulation software
• Software documentation and configuration
• Thesis writing
Development of a Modular Tool Changer – Supervised by Prof G Bright at the University of KwaZulu-Natal’s Mechatronics and Robotics Research Group at the School of Mechanical Engineering
FINAL YEAR PROJECT Jan 2009 – November 2009
• Concept development and engineering-judgment based selection
• Detailed mechanical and electronic design and costing
• Simulation and software development
• Procurement of parts, manufacture, assembly and testing
• Detailed documentation and user documentation for industrialization
• Demonstration on School of Mechanical Engineering open-day for external evaluation
Brooks, M. J., Pitot de la Beaujardiere, J. F., Genevieve, B., Chowdhury, S. M. and Roberts, L. W., “Introduction to the University of KwaZulu-Natal Hybrid Sounding Rocket Program”, Proceedings of the 46th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference & Exhibit, Nashville, TN, United States of America, 25-28 July 2010
Brooks, M. J., Pitot de la Beaujardiere, J. F., Genevieve, B., Chowdhury, S. M. and Roberts, L. W., “Sounding Rockets for Africa”, Proceedings of the 1st Annual South Africa SpaceAssociation Congress, Cape Town, South Africa, 2010
Chowdhury, S. M., Brooks, M. J., Pitot de la Beaujardiere, J. F. and Roberts, L. W., “An Integrated Six-Degree-of-Freedom Trajectory Simulator for Hybrid Sounding Rockets”, Proceedings of the 49th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Orlando, Florida, United States of America, 4-7 January 2011
Academic: Dr. M.J. Brooks, Masters Supervisor, University of KwaZulu-Natal. Contactable at brooks(at)ukzn.ac.za
Dr. J. P. de Villiers, PhD Supervisor, University of Pretoria, Contactable at pieter.devilliers(at)up.ac.za
Professional: P. Kantu (Manager), Denel Dynamics SOC, Contactable at paulin.kantu(at)deneldynamics.co.za
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2020 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at email@example.com. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.