Place and date of birth: Castrovillari (CS) Italy, 10th May 1983
Hard worker with doctoral degree in physics. Experienced to deal with high demanding, multitasking work environments. At the basis of my education is the ability to exploit scientic methods to face problems with enthusiasm and curiosity, with the nal goal to nd the best solution for them. Used to work in big projects requiring to meet tough deadlines and shifts outside standard working hours.
Knowledge in data analysis and software development. Great capabilities to adapt to new jobs, motivated and eager to learn new subjects. Good communication and team working skills, as well as great ability to tackle tasks in an autonomous way.
Problem solving: faced and disentangled several technical and conceptual problems for the accomplishment of the doctoral research projects;
Data analysis: developed methods and implemented statistics techniques for physics data analyses, data quality monitoring and detector performance studies;
Team player: worked fruitfully with international collaborators and research groups for the achievement of common objectives;
Social skills: acquired thanks to the multi-cultural working environment;
Programming: C++, Python - Object Oriented Programming, Shell script;
Software development: data analyses, data quality monitoring and detector performance studies required to develop tools in C++ and Python;
Operating systems: Unix/Linux, Windows, Mac OS X;
Analysis tools: Root, RooFit, RooStats packages (C++ based), MS Excel;
Softwares: Oce suite, LATEX, main applications of Unix/Linux, Windows, Mac;
Education and career
Physics, Ph.D. - University of Padova, April 2013
Physics, M.S. - University of Padova - Mark: 110/110 cum laude, March 2009
Physics, B.Sc. - University of Padova - Mark: 97/110, September 2006
HSDG - ITIS E. Fermi" - Mark: 100/100, July 2002
Contract of Association at CERN (Switzerland), 2012
Collaboration with INFN and CMS experiment at CERN, 2010 to 2012
INFN fellowship for young post-graduates, September to December 2009
Stage with research project at FERMILAB (USA), July to September 2008
Main objectives achieved and gained experiences:
- mainstream of the doctoral research project: identication of signals from a new elementary particle (i.e. supersymmetric Higgs boson), predicted by a promising physics theory, out of huge backgrounds from spurious events. Pursued through the analysis of big amount of data recorded by the CMS experiment, performed with models built for the prediction of the data behavior (using Monte Carlo simulation and data-driven methods) and applying statistics techniques. A dedicated C++ software was used for the purpose. The work involved the collaboration of two research groups (16 people) and led to an original result published in a top-rated journal (Physics Letters B, Volume 722, Issues 45, 24 May 2013, Pages 207-232 );
- collaboration and communication with people having dierent experience, through the discussion of results and methods within research groups, presentation of results at national and international conferences and events for the outreach of students. The realization of clear and exhaustive presentations, reports, scientic articles and thesis was a mandatory and essential aspect for the accomplishment of the overall research projects;
- task responsibilities: development and maintenance of the software (C++ and Python based) dedicated to test the quality of data (i.e. Data Quality Monitoring, DQM) recorded by a subsystem of the CMS experiment. Primary goal was to propose, discuss with experts and implement new strategies for the monitoring of data, in order to avoid data losses due to hardware failures or software ineciencies during acquisition. Furthermore, the responsibility involved the management of the data certication, for the selection of data with good quality to be used for all the physics analyses. This activity led to a relevant improvement of the DQM;
- developed a strategy to test the performances of part of the CMS experiment. This was helpful to spot possible hardware and software problems and to improve the system calibration, alignment and raw data reconstruction algorithms. A tool was developed in C++ and Python computer language. The results have been published in a top-rated journal (Journal of Instrumentation 8 (2013) P11002 );
- frequent shifts as detector expert during data taking of the CMS experiment. Main responsibility: supervise and guarantee a good status of the detector during data taking in order to avoid possible data losses due to electronic or software malfunctioning;
CMS 2012 Achievement Award for important contributions to the Data Quality Monitoring software system and data quality certication tools;
Italian: mother tongue
English: fluent, written and spoken
Prof. Ugo Gasparini, University of Padova & INFN , firstname.lastname@example.org;
Personal interests and activities
Sports, free time and hobbies:
- road biking, jogging, hiking with friends or in general with people who enjoy these sports;
- photography, especially portraits, nature and landscapes, with digital single lens refex camera;
- traveling around the world to explore new cultures and landscapes;
- reading, especially detective story, novels and newspapers;
- learning to play classical guitar;
Willing to relocate;
Willing to travel for work;
Full current clean driving license;
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing is €450 (approx £400 or US$450) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user).
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at email@example.com. We will set up an account for you and invoice you, but in this case, access to our website will be granted only after payment has been received. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.