PhD Researcher, School of Engineering, University of Glasgow (UK). Oct 2013 - Dec 2017
Project: “Solar-Sail Mission Design for Multiple Near-Earth Asteroid Rendezvous”
- Develop a fast and reliable semi-analytical shape-based trajectory model for solar sailing.
- Develop an algorithm to search through the possible sequences of near-Earth asteroids to visit.
- Develop an algorithm to numerically optimise the shape-based trajectories with a refined model.
- Provide a set of feasible mission scenarios for informing the stakeholders on future mission options.
- Scholarships from EPSRC (2013), The Royal Society of Edinburgh (2015) and University of Glasgow (2015).
Research Assistant, School of Engineering, University of Glasgow (UK). Jul – Dec 2016
Project: “Osculating Keplerian Elements for Highly Non-Keplerian Orbits”
Project Managers: Prof Colin R. McInnes and Dr Matteo Ceriotti.
Project Sponsor: Air Force Office of Scientific Research
Research Assistant, University of Rome “Sapienza” (Italy). Work carried out at the School of Engineering, University of Glasgow (UK). Feb – Sep 2013
Project: “Optimal Control of Solar Sail in an Atmosphere”
Project Managers: Prof Christian Circi and Dr Matteo Ceriotti
Student Research Assistant, University of Rome “Sapienza” (Italy). Feb – Sep 2013
Project: “Development of a MATLAB software for the vision system of a rover for lunar exploration”
FH Aachen University of Applied Sciences, Germany. Oct 2013 – Dec 2017
- Several joint journal and conference papers during the PhD research.
University of Florida, USA. Jan – May 2016
Project: “Study of Solar-Sail Interplanetary Trajectories via Direct Transcription Method” (Visiting scholar. Supervisors: Prof Anil V. Rao and Dr Matteo Ceriotti).
- I enhanced my understanding of the mathematical foundations of the direct transcription optimisation technique and mastered the use of the optimal control software GPOPS-II.
- I improved the shape-based method developed for solar sailing and interfaced it with GPOPS-II.
- I built a collaboration between the University of Glasgow and the University of Florida.
German Space Center (DLR), Germany. Dec 2016 – Dec 2017
- Trajectory design for the work “Soil to Sail – Asteroid Landers on Near-Term Sailcraft as an Evolution of the GOSSAMER Small Spacecraft Solar Sail Concept for In-Situ Characterization”, presented at the 5th IAA Planetary Defense Conference.
Friedrich-Schiller University of Jena, Germany. May 2015
- Participation at the 8th edition of the Global Trajectory Optimisation Competition (GTOC) as part of the GlasgowJena+ team, which ranked 9th out of 18 team that submitted a valid solution.
Teaching assistant, University of Glasgow (UK). Oct 2013 – Dec 2017
- Teaching assistant for mechanical engineering students on MATLAB.
- Teaching assistant for aerospace engineering students on space flight dynamics.
Co-supervising a BSc student, University of Glasgow (UK). Dec 2014 – Apr 2015
Project: “A Shape-Based Approach to Solar Sail Trajectory Optimization in 3D”
Master Degree in Aerospace Engineering, University of Rome “Sapienza” (Italy). Jan 2013
Final mark 110/110 summa cum laude (equivalent to a 1st)
Thesis: “Study of the Performances of a Solar Sail with Moving Masses for Interplanetary Missions”
Main modules: Space mission design; Mathematical methods; Space flight dynamics; Thermal control; Robotics space systems; Spacecraft attitude control; Control algorithms; Electronics of guided systems.
Bachelor Degree in Physics and Astrophysics, University of Rome “Sapienza” (Italy). Dec 2009
Final mark 103/110 (equivalent to a 2.1)
Teamwork: I have successfully participated in several aerospace-related team projects, some as a team leader. These produced four publications in peer-reviewed journals, several works presented at conferences and the 9th ranking at the GTOC8. Moreover, 19 years in the Scouts helped me building my capacity of working as part of a team.
Communication: I have excellent communication skills, both written and oral, improved by conference presentations and the papers I wrote. The applications to several scholarships significantly improved my communication skills.
Organisational: My studies and the research assistant experiences developed organisational skills that allowed me to meet all the deadlines. Moreover, 8 years as a Scout leader helped enhance my organisational skills.
Computer skills: Excellent knowledge of MATLAB and Simulink, used throughout my university projects and theses. Excellent knowledge of the optimal control software GPOPS-II. Good knowledge of C and Mathematica. Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
Problem solving: I have the capacity of solve problems either working alone or as part of a team. This capacity has been tested and improved through my numerous university projects and my PhD.
Willingness to learn: I am always keen to expand my knowledge and gain new skills.
Languages: English (Full professional proficiency). Italian (Native proficiency).
Dr Matteo Ceriotti (PhD Supervisor). Email: matteo.ceriotti(at)glasgow.ac.uk
Prof Colin R. McInnes (Research Assistant Project Manager). Email: colin.mcinnes(at)glasgow.ac.uk
I am happy to provide additional information, if needed.
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2018 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at email@example.com. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
Recruitment agencies are only eligible for a Gold package and recruitment agencies recruiting for companies already using Space Careers will not be accepted.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.