OPERATIONS / PROJECT MANAGER
Certified Project Manager with over 20 years’ experience relating to:
Communication Satellite Design, Integration, Verification and Validation, including Space Environmental Test Facilities Operations
• Over 5 years’ experience in Integration & Test Facility Operations Management with MDA Space Missions.
• Over 5 years’ experience in I&T Project Management on Commercial Communication Satellite programs with Boeing Satellite Systems.
• Over 9 years’ experience in Spacecraft Systems test (including payload test) with Spar Aerospace.
• Proven ability to manage and motivate multi-discipline engineering teams.
• Strategic planning for capacity, processes, equipment and people management.
• Project management including: estimating, timelines, budgets and manpower planning.
• Manpower planning, safety regulations, housekeeping, budget control and scheduling.
• Supported international consulting services program for AI&T facility acceptance and commissioning.
• Canadian Controlled Goods (CGP) clearance
• Security clearance to ‘Secret’ level
MDA SPACE MISSIONS (May 2004 – Present)
MDA Manager, AI&T Operations, DFL (Sept. 2007 – present)
Reporting to Director of Operations
• Provide Line Management for the MDA AI&T Team consisting of Engineers, Technicians/ Technologists and support staff working in the Canadian Space Agency’s Space Environmental Testing Facility the David Florida Laboratory.
• Responsible for department overhead budgets, expenditures, staffing assignments, performance reviews, as well of developing new business initiatives.
• Successfully signing a major U.S. customer; for multiple Spacecraft Thermal Vacuum testing at the DFL
• Successfully sought out, signed and completed a sole source project with the Canadian Space Agency at the DFL.
• Successfully sought out, signed and managed a Technical Services project to Comdev Canada.
Staff MTS; AI&T Project Engineer/ Electrical AIT Lead (May 2004 – October 2007)
Reported to the Program Manager
• Assisted Program Management Team in planning and executing the RADARSAT-2 AIT Program.
• Plan and schedule program activities; coordinating between electrical test team and the mechanical integration team.
• Maintain the I&T program schedules using MS Project
• Generate and distribute the daily status reports to program stakeholders.
• Chair the daily activity meeting with the customer, program team and PMO
• Support nonconformance meetings and schedule rework plan execution to minimize impact to program schedule.
BOEING SATELLITE SYSTEMS (Hughes Aircraft), El Segundo, CA (1997 – 2004)
Project Manager; AI&T IPT Leader, Spacecraft AI&T Project Manager (2003 – 2004)
Reported to the Operations Manager
(The AI&T Integrated Product Team Leader’s role is as the process owner responsible for a communications satellite bus and payload AI&T activities in a project management capacity.)
• Responsible for the AI&T budgets for a dual BSS702 satellite program (XM Radio 3 and 4), from delivery of a completed satellite from long term storage through the integration of an updated antenna subsystem and systems verification. This role managed all test and integration budgets up to handover to the launch IPT.
• Generated the program integration master plan and schedules, identifying resources, including earned value milestones and contingency.
• Determined program receivables/deliverables and negotiate schedule gates with internal suppliers.
• Performed continuous risk assessments and resulting risk management planning, provided risk reports to Program Manager.
• Review and reworked plans as required based on daily resource allocations and availability.
• Co-chair nonconformance reviews with program product assurance team and customer team.
• Support Program Manager in program senior management reviews.
Project Engineer; AI&T Team Leader/Spacecraft AI&T Lead Positions (1999 – 2003)
Reported to the Program Manager
• S/C AI&T Manager across several Boeing product line programs. BSS376W, BSS376HP and BSS601HP (Astra 1H, Brasilsat B4, Astra 2C and 2D, Galaxy 13, Astra 3A).
• Planned, executed, controlled and delivered several commercial satellite AI&T programs.
• Support Business Development group during proposal costing with a focus on program AI&T requirements.
• Directed and led multi-disciplined teams responsible for the Integration and Test activities of commercial satellite programs.
• Managed program schedules through the integration and test activities based on deliveries of units / modules / hardware and resources.
• Identify and mitigate program operational schedule risks with planning options to Program Manager.
• Develop and maintain the program enterprise schedule.
• Review and updated the program Bus Test Requirements Document (BTRD) and verification matrix to ensure the test plan is in compliance with the specifications and test requirements document.
• Interface with program customer providing daily program status.
• Supported program launch operations at several launch sites; in Kourou, French Guiana, in Baikonur, Kazakhstan, in Long Beach Sea Launch.
Project Engineer; Environmental Work Cell Team Leader (1997 – 1999)
• Supervised the preparation and execution of multiple S/C environmental electrical systems testing during the vibration, acoustic and thermal vacuum phases.
SPAR AEROSPACE, CANADA
Senior Member of Technical Staff, Satellite Electrical System Integration & Test (1988 – 1997)
• Developed and executed test procedures for the Mobile Satellite; M-Sat program on the Attitude Control Subsystem (ACS).
• Performed payload subsystem testing (C-Band and Ku Band) on the Anik-E program
• Support several assignments as a Test Engineer supporting multiple test programs at Hughes Space and Communication in El Segundo Ca.
• Supported launch operations at Kennedy Space Center, Florida and Kourou, French Guiana.
• Supported consulting services for Taiwan’s NSPO AI&T Facility’s commissioning.
COMMUNICATIONS RESEARCH CENTER (DFL), CANADA
Electronic Technologist (1983 – 1988)
• Provided electronic support to customers of the David Florida Lab
EDUCATION / CERTIFICATIONS
Algonquin College: Electronic Technologist Certificate
Completed the Electronic Technologist Program (1985)
Foundation for International Services, Inc., Bothell Washington
Report dated June 13, 1997; Education evaluation report commissioned by Hughes Space and Communication Company concluded that my “education background is equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in Electronics Engineering Technology with an emphasis in Aerospace Technology”.
Boeing In-house Training:
Integrated Product Team (IPT) Training Series
Manufacturing Best Practices Series
Six Sigma & Lean Enterprises
Caltech / Boeing Satellite Systems:
Project Management Principles and Strategies
Project Management Institute:
Obtained Project Management Professional (PMP) certification Nov. 2004
Industrial Accident Prevention Association (IAPA):
Obtained Occupational Health & Safety certificates parts 1 & 2 (Manufacturing) Nov. 2009
Additional Information & References on Request