• European Southern Observatory (ESO Headquarters, Garching, Germany). September 2015 - present
-> ESO Fellow. Independent researcher, Principal Investigator using the Very Large Telescope and the Hubble Space Telescope. Data analysis of spectroscopic and imaging samples. Supervision of PhD students. Initiator, organizer, and invited speakers of international conferences. Member of committees (selecting people or projects). Project planning including milestones and budgeting. Publications in high-impact astronomical journals.
-> Operations Astronomer at the ESO Very Large Telescope, Chile. Specialized in spectrographs for very high-resolution, UV/VIS/NIR coverage, multi-object spectroscopy. Responsible for scientific observations, instrument operation, data quality certification, system verification. Monitoring instrument performance and long-run health, coordinating interventions with the engineering department. Working with diverse teams (scientists, engineers, different cultures). Handling failures and contingencies; problem solving/troubleshooting.
• Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel - Department of Particle Physics & Astrophysics. Nov 2012 - Jul 2015
-> Koshland Prize Fellow. Member of the Palomar Transient Factory wide-field all-sky survey (science & operations). Research on transient astronomy (Superluminous Supernovae) and the Interstellar Medium
• University of Iceland - Center for Astrophysics & Cosmology
-> Postdoc research on the Interstellar Medium of small distant galaxies July 2011 - July 2012
-> PhD research on Gamma-Ray Burst (GRB) environments January 2008 - July 2011
• ESO Santiago, Chile February - April 2009
-> Director General Discretionary Fund visitor: project on GRB Rapid-Response Mode science
• University of Leicester, UK July - September 2009
-> Centre of Excellence for Space, Planetary and Astrophysics Research Training and Networking Education
• Italian habilitation for 2nd level Professorship July 2018
• PhD in Astrophysics - University of Iceland July 2011
• Master in Astrophysics and Cosmology (110/110), University of Bologna December 2007
• Trans Atlantic Science Student Exchange, U. of Calgary, Canada Sep 2005 - Jun 2006
• Bachelor in Astronomy (105/110), University of Bologna December 2004
► PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT/TRAINING
• Leadership and Supervision (Coverdale OD Limited) October 2018
• Project Management Fundamentals (Tiba Managementberatung GmbH) November 2017
• Conflict Management (Coverdale OD Limited) September 2017
• Presentation Skills (Mind & Vision Consulting LtD) February 2016
► TRANSFERRABLE SKILLS
• Enthusiasm. I feel enriched by working, and I can take initiative (e.g. I initiated international conferences and seminar series, or independent projects). I am also an energetic person, and a quick and eager learner.
• Effective communication. Empathic conflict solver (e.g. I relieved tensions with peers and found mutual solutions, or I guided colleagues to ensure an healthy environment).
• Teamwork. I have experience with both small teams and large multi-national collaborations. I found that cooperation, transparency, and sharing clear information among scientists and engineers was key for smooth operations at the VLT Observatory. I can nourish enthusiasm inside a team, but I am also proficient and comfortable in working independently.
► TECHNICAL SKILLS
• Matlab (intermediate)
• UNIX shell
• Data analysis
• Astronomy Software
• Telescope Operations
• Italian (fluent)
• English (fluent)
• German (intermediate)
• Spanish (intermediate)
• Icelandic (basic)
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2019 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
Recruitment agencies are only eligible for a Gold package and recruitment agencies recruiting for companies already using Space Careers will not be accepted.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing email@example.com. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.