Caltech Postdoctoral Scholar May 2015 – September 2015.
Caltech Graduate Student September 2010 – May 2015.
• PhD in Theoretical Physics: Gauge Invariant Spectral Cauchy Characteristic Extraction of Gravita- tional Waves in Computational General Relativity.
• Designed, implemented in C++, tested, and published the Spectral CCE algorithm.
• Spectral CCE algorithm is three orders of magnitude faster than the previous standard.
Princeton Prospects in Theoretical Physics Quantum Field Theory 2010 and Biophysics 2011.
Sydney University Optics Research November 2009 – September 2010.
• Invented, designed, analysed, and published a new type of blazed diffraction grating.
• Blazed evanescent grating can improve optical microscope performance by an order of magnitude.
Sydney University BSc (Advanced Mathematics) Honours (Physics) University Medal January 2006 – November 2009.
• Triple major in Pure Maths, Applied Maths, Physics. Academic Scholarship with Merit.
• Shiroki Prize for best thesis, Barker Scholarship, Farrand Scholarship, Malcolm Turki Memorial Award.
International Physics Olympiad Gold Medalist Salamanca, Spain 2005.
Hyperloop One Levitation Engineer January 2016 – Present.
• Responsible for research, analysis, modelling (FEA and analytic), design, testing, vendor management, and manufacturing for several parallel levitation technology development paths.
• Filed five patents and provided expert technical support on hundreds of projects with every team.
• Contributed design tweaks that improved devloop performance-to-cost ratio by a factor of five.
Frontier Development Lab Space Scientist June – August 2017.
• Developed cutting edge planetary protection solar weather prediction software.
• Leveraged deep learning LSTM neural networks in partnership with IBM and NASA.
Hyperloop One Engineering Intern September 2015 – December 2015.
• Built statistical models to predict induced demand in potential Hyperloop markets.
• Invented a new form of passive electrodynamic magnetic levitation.
Caltech Space Challenge Mission Architect, Systems Engineer, Orbital Dynamics Analyst March 2015.
• Developed winning proposal to conduct extended crewed study of a captured near-Earth asteroid.
Caltech Graduate Teaching Assistant September 2010 – May 2015.
• Taught Ph 12 (Waves/QM), Ph 6/7 (Nuclear Lab), Ph 20/21/22 (Computing for Physicists).
Burning Man Coup de Foudre Tesla Coil February – August 2014.
• Performed structural design, analysis, construction, toroid design, and capacitor circuit safety design.
Caltech GALCIT Autonomous Assembly of a Reconfigurable Space Telescope February – July 2014.
• Developed embedded piezo mirror control and communications hardware test bed software in C.
• Contributed design innovations that reduced system complexity, mass, power draw, latency and de- bugging time scale by an order of magnitude, each.
• Experience with C, C++, Mathematica (expert), Matlab, Keras, TensorFlow, Python, LATEX(expert), Linux, ANSYS (expert), JMAG, make, version control.
• Data analysis, statistics, physical modeling, differential equations, vector/tensor calculus, complex analysis, controls, group theory, discrete math, public key cryptography, technical writing, manufac- turing, 3D printing, public speaking.
• Electromagnetism, gravitation, orbital mechanics, thermodynamics, condensed matter/solid state physics, quantum physics, nuclear physics, relativistic quantum physics, geology, geophysics, geodesy, physiology, geography, aerodynamics, fluid dynamics, magnetohydrodynamics, plasma physics, space physics, astrophysics, superconductivity, combustion chemistry, organic chemistry.
Selected Publications And Talks
• Talk: “Levitating the Hyperloop.” InnovatED.LA, Wildwood School. 15 October 2016.
• Talk: “Confronting the Credibility Gap in Crewed Exploration of Mars.” Mars Society Conference, Washington, DC. 22 September 2016. https://youtu.be/c0a7eR8Wi4Y
• Handmer, C J. Waterfront on the Martian Planitia: Algorithmic emergent catchments on disordered terrain. arXiv: astro-ph.EP 1606.05224
• Handmer, C J, B Szil ́ agyi and J Winicour. Spectral Cauchy Characteristic Extraction of strain, news and gravitational radiation flux. Class. Quantum Grav. 33 225007, 2016. arXiv: gr-qc 1605.04332
• Roa, J and C J Handmer. Quantifying hazards: asteroid disruption in lunar distant retrograde orbits. arXiv: astro-ph.EP 1505.03800
• Handmer, C J. Genetic optimization of the Hyperloop route through the Grapevine. arXiv: cs.NE 1503.01524
• Handmer, C J, B Szilagyi and J Winicour. Gauge Invariant Spectral Cauchy Characteristic Extraction. Class. Quantum Grav. 32 235018, 2015. arXiv: 1502.06987
• Handmer, C J and B Szil ́ agyi. Spectral Characteristic Evolution: A New Algorithm for Gravitational Wave Propagation. Class. Quantum Grav. 32 025008, 2015. arXiv: 1406.7029
• Handmer, C J et al. Blazing evanescent grating orders: a spectral approach to beating the Rayleigh limit. Optics Letters, 35 17, pp. 2846-2848, 2010.
• Sukhorukov, Andrey A; Handmer, C J; de Sterke, C M; Steel, M J. Slow light with flat or offset band edges in few-mode fiber with two gratings. Optics Express, 15 26, pp. 17954-17959, 2007.
• Travel: Couchsurfing, 46 countries, hitchhiked across Asia including Road of Bones, Russian Far East.
• Languages: English, Latin, Russian, Spanish.
• Outdoor activities: Camping, alpine/rock climbing, sailing, hiking, volcanology, SCUBA, skydiving.
• Private pilot, high performance/complex rated, 240 hours PIC.
• Glee club, Fluid Dynamics a cappella, leadership, classical piano, music arrangement.
Registering is the only way of posting vacancies and obtaining contact details of candidates in our CV database.
All it takes is a few minutes and a credit card (Visa or American Express). To sign-up to this service, simply click on the Register link and fill in the form. You will then have instant access to our system after on-line payment where you will be able to complete the transaction in either US Dollars, UK Pounds or Euros.
All online credit/debit card transitions are handled through our secure third party payment processors at WorldPay. Worldpay are part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the 5th biggest banking group in the world, WorldPay payment solutions are trusted by thousands of businesses, big and small worldwide.
Pricing starts at €450 (approx £400 or US$500 - use the convert tool for an exact conversion) for one month unlimited job postings and unlimited CV database access (for one user), with package discounts available if you have more permanent recruiting needs. For example, a Gold subscription will give you unlimited jobs posting and unlimited CV database access for one year at just over €250 per month!
2018 Pricing Structure (excluding VAT):
|1 month - Discovery||450 euros||convert|
|3 months - Bronze||1150 euros||convert|
|6 months - Silver||1950 euros||convert|
|12 months - Gold||3200 euros||convert|
If online payment is not convenient, give us a call at +33(0)622757477 or send us an email at email@example.com. We will set up an account for you and invoice you. Note that you can also pay through PayPal.
Please note that the posting of academic positions is free of charge. All you need to do is email us your job description and we will post it for you.
Spacelinks is based in France so the following European Union regulations regarding electronic commerce apply:
- if your business is located outside the EU, VAT does not apply to you
- if your business is located in France, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you don't have a valid VAT registration number, you will be charged a 20% VAT
- if your business is located in the EU and you do have a valid VAT registration number, you won't be charged VAT provided you give us your VAT number (mandatory for invoicing)
For sales enquiries and general information, you can call us on +33(0)622757477.
Support is available Mon-Fri on +33(0)622757477 or via email. Out-of-hours support is provided only via email.
Please also note that we are located in France. Our normal office hours are 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. France timezone is GMT+1.
We are very serious about our job seekers privacy so only legitimate recruiters and employers are eligible for a recruiter account. All subscriptions requests will be manually approved and recruiter accounts constantly monitored. Users who enter inaccurate or incomplete information will not gain access to post jobs or search resumes. Sharing of login details with a third party will result in the suspension of the recruiter's account with no subscription refund.
Recruitment agencies are only eligible for a Gold package and recruitment agencies recruiting for companies already using Space Careers will not be accepted.
To ensure you are approved, please include the following on your application:
* The website address of your Company. Under construction websites will be rejected.
* Email - Must end in @yourcompany.com. Applications using free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail will be rejected.
Individual exceptions can be made on a case by case basis by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Accounts found not to be in compliance will be deleted.