On-Board Payload Data Processing Engineer – ESTEC, Ref no: 17 15650
The high-tech and innovative Terma Group develops products and systems for defence, non-defence and security applications, including command and control systems, radar systems, self-protection systems for aircraft and vessels, space technology, and aero-structures for the aircraft industry.
Terma is headquartered at Aarhus, Denmark. Internationally, Terma has subsidiaries and operations in The Netherlands, Germany, United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates, India, Singapore and the U.S.
The Space Business Area contributes with mission-customized software and hardware products including power systems and star trackers as well as services to support a number of in-orbit pioneering European scientific and Earth observation satellite missions. Additionally, Terma is contracted for the development and delivery of software and hardware systems and services for numerous ongoing and future European, and international missions.
Terma Space operates out of Denmark, The Netherlands, Germany, and the UK.
For our customer, the European Space Agency, we are seeking to recruit an experienced On-Board Payload Data Processing Engineer to work at ESTEC in Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
You will be assigned to the On-board Payload Data Processing Section within the Directorate of Technical and Quality Management. The work of the section covers the following technical domains related to space systems engineering:
• Computers for real-time on-board applications, both as self-contained units and as embedded items in subsystem equipment. The work includes system design for fault-tolerant computer systems, component design and development, operating systems, and identification of tools and methods for dependable specification, design and testing.
• Data systems for on-board data communication, spacecraft system operation under ground control and with on-board autonomy, ground/on-board data communication, and (for manned spaceflight) crew informatics and interfaces. This includes data system standards and specific software, e.g. data communication software.
• Data storage, i.e. on-board solid-state mass memory systems, including architecture, components, interfaces, packaging technologies, and operational usage.
• Electronic design essentially for the implementation of digital functions related to on-board data systems.
• Payload data acquisition and processing chains, including digital and image processing techniques and devices.
You will be required to carry a diverse range of support tasks within the above domains, encompassing hardware, software and system aspects in support of ESA projects. These can be grouped within the following main headings:
• Payload data acquisition, processing and storage chains, which can be further divided into:Data acquisition chain:
- ADC/ DAC interfaces.
- Sensor readout electronics.
- Analog signal conditioning.
• Data processing units:
- Concept, design and test of data processing units.
- Implementation of payload data processing functions on processors (e.g. DSP, GPU or uProcessor) and FPGAs based platforms.
- Trade-off analysis and verification of the performance in simulation and hardware.
• Instrument controllers:
- Concept, design and test of payload computers.
- Knowledge of applied memory technologies.
• Mass Memory storage units:
- Concept, design and test of mass memories and the applied memory technologies.
- Knowledge of file based systems and the CFDP protocol.
- HW / SW partitioning and corresponding trade-offs.
• High speed networks for data transmission and command & control:
- SpaceWire, SpaceFibre and related protocols
- Protocols providing quality of service, reliability, determinism and FDIR.
- Ethernet based systems based on Powerlink, AFDX or similar.
• Validation of signal and image processing algorithms via simulation techniques (e.g. Matlab, prototyping SW).
• Specific engineering support in the above domains to mainstream ESA space projects, mainly for (but not restricted to) the development and testing phases.
This is a full time position located at ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
The requested start of work is March 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Qualifications & Competencies
The successful candidate will have:
• A Masters’ level degree in Electronic Engineering, Electronics or a related discipline.
• A minimum of 4 years’ relevant working experience in the space sector.
• Experience in defining payload data processing systems architectures.
• Extensive knowledge in signal and image processing techniques and devices;
• Wide knowledge in communication networks principles, standards and their implementation.
• Extensive experience in procurement of spaceflight hardware units, sub-systems integration and testing in the space industry;
• Knowledge in spaceflight electronics design related to data acquisition, processing and storage functions as well as constraints of the space environment;
• Experience with high speed serial link based systems and the testing of these interfaces. This includes high-speed networks such as SpaceWire and SpaceFibre;
• Experience in VHDL programming, including reconfiguration and partial reconfiguration techniques is an asset
• Ability to work in an autonomous manner, in particular when providing support to projects with high time allocations and this in coordination with the ESA line manager.
What can Terma Offer?
At Terma we consider skilled employees, enthusiasm, and job satisfaction as the very foundation of our success and as a prerequisite for the development of the “best-in-class” solutions that Terma provides. We lead the way in applying new technology, offering a wide range of growth opportunities for each individual, and emphasizing mutual respect across the board in our workplace.
Terma offers you a pleasant working environment at the customer site, where you will be able to take on challenging tasks and responsibilities in a highly professional company.
• Great opportunities for training and personal development
• Working in an inspiring advanced technical environment
• International and cosmopolitan working atmosphere
• An employment contract with an attractive package with extra-legal benefits
• Highly competitive salary
• Financial support and advice on re-location (if applicable)
Recruitment is depending on successful selection by the customer.
To ensure that your application will reach us and is properly processed please apply through the ‘Apply’ link below. Include an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae and a Cover Letter highlighting your background and expertise as well as earliest date of availability.
For further information, please contact Mr. Simon Mills
by telephone [+31 6 2326 2398] or by email [email@example.com].
Closing date: January 18th 2018
Please note the following Legal & Security requirements:
• Applicants must hold all appropriate permits to work in the EU.
• Applicants are required to provide a copy of their ID/passport and degree/higher education certificate. Terma will validate the certificate with the issuing authority.
• A Certificate of Good Conduct or equivalent will be applied for at commencement of employment.