• Contribute to establishing project specific programmatic and technical dependability and safety requirements within the framework of the ESA Product Assurance & Safety baseline.
• Support to projects in the evaluation and monitoring of Contractor’s plans, technical specifications and efforts proposed for the execution of the dependability and safety programs.
Support to the concurrent design facility (CDF) studies by performing technical risk assessment and relevant dependability and safety analyses.
• Evaluation of dependability and safety analyses, technical notes, technical risk assessments, risk reduction processes and the associated preventive or corrective actions.
• Defining and controlling the implementation of the applicable dependability and safety related acceptance requirements including risk acceptance criteria.
• Support dependability and safety verification activities, including hazard close-out and disposition of related NCR, RFW and Critical Items.
• Participating in project reviews to assess compliance with the applicable RAMS requirements and to formulate accept/reject recommendations.
• Relevant experience of application of RAMS engineering to space programs, especially in ground and/or ground based systems.
• Relevant experience in design and engineering of safety critical systems.
• A hands-on knowledge of the RAMS analyses and methodologies (Hardware and Software), preparation of relevant RAMS documentation during the overall project life-cycle and application of ECSS dependability and safety standards.
• Experience in dependability and safety engineering management processes and objectives and experience during operations is an advantage.
• Experience in the field of ground safety and projects assistance in obtaining safety certification is an advantage.
• Knowledge of RTCA/DO-178C “Software Considerations in Airborne Systems and Equipment Certification" or DO-278A “Guidelines for CNS/ATM Systems software integrity assurance”, and /or DO254A (Design Assurance Guidance for Airborne Electronic Hardware), and related certification schemes, and experience in interfacing certification authorities is considered an asset.
• Familiarity with space product assurance practices
o Support the ESA Safety Review Panel chairman in the conduct of ESA safety reviews for the certification of International Space Station systems and payloads.
o Provide technical support to projects for the interpretation of safety requirements and the preparation of the safety review data package
o Perform ESA Safety Review Panel secretary tasks for data package distribution, reviews planning and logistics, collection of reviewers inputs, issue of official ESRP minutes of meeting ensuring that they are executed according to the process requirements in SSP 30599 and the complementary ESA processes
o Perform preliminary assessment of safety data package readiness for review
o Track and process action items responses and safety verifications closeouts
o Upload of documentation in NASA and ESA databases
o Assess safety analyses and safety compliance data packages prepared by cargo items providers (industrial contractors, experimenters, National Agencies, ISS commercial users) and provide detailed written feedback;
o Support safety review meetings as Operations Safety panel expert;
o Review the implementation of entries in the ESA Operations Control Agreement Database (eOCAD);
o Provide readiness inputs and certification for pre-SORR meeting;
o Support ESA in the review of ISS Change Requests relevant to Safety requirements;
o Coordinate and ensure timely ESRP approval of yellow tags;
o Execute any other safety engineering related task upon request of the ESA Technical Responsible.
o Provide support to the ESRP Chairperson for the aspect associated to resolution of technical issues and conduction of safety reviews;
o Support, as required, human spaceflight safety related interface activities with ISS international partners (e.g. preparation and participation to the Multilateral Mission Assurance and Safety Control Board (MSMACB), pre-Stage Operations Readiness Review meetings, preparation and processing of safety NCRs, technical issues discussions, etc.);
o Prepare weekly report on the executed engineering safety services tasks;
o Prepare monthly ESRP report
• Specific Competence Requirements
o Good interpersonal, organisation and communication skills, with the ability to work in a diverse team environment.
o Knowledge of ISS systems, subsystems and payloads, of ISS safety requirements and their related implementation.
o Extended understanding of the hazard which are intrinsic of a system and /or induced by space operations, and the way they are eliminated or controlled.
o Knowledge of the way data safety data are generated, validated and retained in support of the ISS programme safety certification.
o Knowledge of Configuration Management or the implementation of Product Assurance within a quality system certified to EN9001 would be an asset.