UNSW Canberra is a campus of the University of New South Wales located at the Australian Defence Force Academy in Canberra. UNSW Canberra endeavours to offer staff a rewarding experience and offers many opportunities and attractive benefits, including:
- One of Australia’s leading research and teaching universities
- Australian bush land setting with FREE parking
- FREE Onsite GYM and Indoor Sports Centre
- Strong commitment to staff development and learning
- Strong commitment to work life and family balance
- Generous superannuation and salary packaging opportunities
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work
UNSW Canberra Space sits within the School of Engineering and Information Technology and is becoming the trusted Australian go-to partner for agile Research and Development, Education and Thought Leadership in local and global space transformation. It is achieving this by building the capability to rapidly develop and operate game changing space mission concepts and spacecraft payloads. This space-flight capability is underpinned and driven by a programme of academic space science research and technology development. The portfolio of missions in development is rapidly expanding in application areas such as Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance, Quantum Communication, Atmospheric trace-gas measurement and Remote Sensing. This expansion has created the need to expand the spaceflight team to take on the challenges of developing and delivering these exciting missions.
About the Role:
Job Title: Space Systems Engineer / Applied Physicist
Salary: Level 7/8 depending on experience; plus superannuation
Fixed Term: 2 years
Full Time: 35 hours per week
The UNSW Canberra Spaceflight team has the need for talented Space Systems Engineers with either an Engineering or an Applied Physics background to develop and operate its portfolio of future space missions. The successful candidates will be expected to have the demonstrated capability to work in multi-disciplinary teams of space scientists and engineers, have one or more areas of technical specialisation needed to develop the spacecraft and payloads, and able to apply the Systems Engineering approach to the development of space technology. The successful candidates will join cross-disciplinary teams to deliver these missions working across the full life-cycle; from concept and technology development to design, manufacture, assembly, test, flight operations and decommissioning.
The Level of the appointments will be based on the number of years of relevant experience delivering successful projects. As a guideline, more than 10-years of experience would result in an offer at Level 8, while candidates with less experience would be offered a Level 7 position.
The role calls for technical specialisations in one or more of the following domains:
· Spacecraft Mechanical / Thermal Engineering
· Digital Electronics and Embedded Systems Engineering (VHDL/Verilog programming)
· Electrical Engineering
· Communication and RF Engineering
· Signal Processing
· Optical Engineering
· Software Engineering
· Spacecraft Systems Engineering
· AOCS and Control Engineering
· Test and Verification Engineering
About the Successful Applicants:
To be successful in this role you will have the following:
- Technical excellence in one or more of the technical specialisations listed above
- The ability to assimilate, process and apply technical data from a broad range of technical disciplines relevant to the development of space systems
- Systems Engineering approach to the development of Space Missions
- Design and development complex systems
- Working in cross-disciplinary teams
- An undergraduate or higher degree in Engineering or Physics
In your application, you should systematically address the selection criteria outlined in the Position Description. In order to view the position description - please ensure that you allow pop-ups for the Jobs@UNSW Portal.
An applicant may be required to undergo pre-employment checks prior to appointment to this role.
For further information about UNSW Canberra, please visit our website: UNSW Canberra
Applications Close: 5th March 2017