UNSW Canberra is a campus of the University of New South Wales located at the Australian Defence Force Academy in Canberra. UNSW Canberra endeavours to offer staff a rewarding experience and offers many opportunities and attractive benefits, including:
- One of Australia’s leading research and teaching universities
- Australian bush land setting with FREE parking
- FREE Onsite GYM and Indoor Sports Centre
- Strong commitment to staff development and learning
- Strong commitment to work life and family balance
- Generous superannuation and salary packaging opportunities
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work
UNSW Canberra Space sits within the School of Engineering and Information Technology and is becoming the trusted Australian go-to partner for agile Research and Development, Education and Thought Leadership in local and global space transformation. It is achieving this by building the capability to rapidly develop and operate game changing space mission concepts and spacecraft payloads. The portfolio of missions in development is rapidly expanding in application areas such as Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance, Quantum Communication, Atmospheric trace-gas measurement, and Remote Sensing. This space-flight capability is underpinned and driven by a programme of academic space-science research and technology development.
About the Role:
Job Title: Space Systems Engineer – Concurrent Design
Salary: Level 7/8 depending on experience; plus superannuation
Fixed Term: 24 months
Full Time: 35 hours per week
Interest in developing sovereign space-flight missions for Australian applications has grown remarkably over the past couple of years. This has created the situation where there are a growing number of mission candidate concepts competing to proceed to implementation. Most Space Agencies around the world approach the challenge of selecting, prioritising and planning programmes of multiple launches from a cloud of many mission candidates by using information derived from Concurrent Design Facilities (CDF). These facilities carry out rapid and efficient assessments of the technical merits of candidate missions, produce planning information on the development costs and schedules and ultimately enable sponsors to draw up a programme, which delivers best value for money from the services delivered by the individual missions.
UNSW Canberra and the ACT Government are jointly investing in the establishment and roll-out of a Space Mission CDF to support and develop the rapidly growing level of space activities at UNSW Canberra Space, the Australian Capital Territory and more widely across Australia.
The successful candidate will have responsibility for the development of the UNSW Canberra CDF and the execution of the first three CDF space mission CDF studies. The facility shall be designed to operate within the context of the Australian space ecosystem while grounded in international best practice in space engineering and the development and operation of CDF.
The Level of the appointments will be based on the number of years of relevant experience delivering successful projects. As a guideline, more than 10-years of experience would result in an offer at Level 8, while candidates with less experience would be offered a Level 7 position.
About the Successful Applicants:
To be successful in this role you will have the following:
- Spacecraft and payload design, development, implementation and operation
- Design and development / procurement of secure IT systems for networked applications (including those hosted on a public cloud computing facility)
- Ability to manage and deliver successful project outcomes on time and budget
- Space Concurrent Design methodologies to space missions
- Project Management and Systems Engineering for the development and delivery of spacecraft systems and missions
- Design and development complex systems
- Working in cross-disciplinary project teams
- An undergraduate or higher degree in Engineering or Physics
In your application, you should systematically address the selection criteria outlined in the Position Description. In order to view the position description - please ensure that you allow pop-ups for the Jobs@UNSW Portal.
An applicant may be required to undergo pre-employment checks prior to appointment to this role.
For further information about UNSW Canberra, please visit our website: UNSW Canberra
Applications Close: 2nd April 2017