A vacancy for a Senior Structures Engineer is required at Airbus Defence & Space Stevenage, to join the Mechanical Engineering and Structures Group to work on a number of exciting space products and projects.
You will lead a small team to develop structural product from concept to final design and qualification, within agreed timescales and budget and limited sign-off. You will be required to identify where gaps in knowledge exist and how to plug these gaps by further widening the skill/tool base available to the team and understanding the importance of maintaining clear schedules and accurate budgets.
You will be expected to present the design solutions to peers and managers and be able to justify these when appropriate. You will have interaction with both internal and external customers and suppliers to agree specifications, monitor progress and answer technical queries. Some international travel may be required on an ad hoc basis. Key responsibilities:
- Provide an engineering definition of spacecraft structure component design that is cost efficient and complies with all requirements with minimum iterations. This definition will be given to designers to produce engineering drawings.
- Carry out basic structure sizing calculations, produce mass calculations and exercise mass control.
- Carry out manufacturing dimensional tolerance studies.
- Write structures design documentation for customer reviews and provide all subsidiary information which demonstrates that all requirements are met.
- Designs will be taken from concept into production, therefore design for manufacture, cost and minimum schedule are essential elements.
- Work in a concurrent engineering team, reporting to the Project Team Leader or Project Manager as appropriate. Working with Stress, Thermal, Propulsion and Manufacturing Engineers and having a good appreciation of their work.
- Design using an adequate knowledge of structure behaviour and load paths.
- Plan all design activities to ensure that structure specification, statement of work, schedule and cost are met and that long lead items are ordered as required.
- Conduct trade off studies.
- Define drawing family tree and PDM BOM.
- Possible limited sign-off of engineering drawings and engineering change documentation ensuring that structure design requirements are met.
- Degree or equivalent in Mechanical or Aeronautical or similar related discipline.
- Appreciation of the relevant design drivers and associated manufacturing issues in their specialist field.
- To be able to perform sizing calculations, establish design concepts, perform trade-offs and prepare development plan, with supervision.
- Must have an appreciation of aerospace/spacecraft structures design techniques and methods and an understanding of the static and dynamic behaviour of structures.
- An appreciation of launch vehicles and the launch environment is desirable. Please apply for this vacancy on line at our careers site (www.jobs.airbusgroup.com) with your CV attached.
-- By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus Group using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus Group.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.
To apply : click here