Work as a System Operations Engineer at a renowned company based in Darmstadt, Germany that offers great opportunities to advance and learn alongside accomplished leaders.
Profiler is a leading provider of expertise through corporate consulting, staffing solutions and HR services. We form the link between experts and companies from a wide range of industries. Our focus is in the IT, Communications Design and Aerospace Sectors
ROLE/FUNCTION:System Operations Engineer in Darmstadt, Germany
CONTRACT: Full-Time Employment
WORKING LANGUAGE: English, French is considered an advantage
DEADLINE: 22 June 2017
In addition to having a university degree (or equivalent) in a relevant technical discipline, the Key Person shall have the following mandatory attributes:
• At least three years experience of end-to-end operations preparation and routine system operations of Geostationary (‘GEO’) and Low Earth Orbit (‘LEO’) satellite systems in a real-time spacecraft operations environment.
• At least three years work experience in the operation and configuration of end-to-end monitoring and reporting systems for (Earth Observation) data processing ground segments.
• At least three years experience in the definition, development, integration and verification & validation of ground segment and mission data monitoring systems.
• The working language for the position is English and therefore the key person must be able to work effectively in this language.
NICE-TO-HAVE SKILLS/CONSIDERED AS AN ADVANTAGE
Recent experience of the following, in an operational context, would be a distinct advantage:
• Experience of procurement phases for new programmes.
• Experience of configuration and monitoring using NAGIOS/OP5.
• Experience of software and system testing.
• Experience with the definition and analysis of operational user requirements.
• Experience of using configuration management systems.
• Windows & Unix / Linux operating systems.
• Web server administration.
• Shell/HTML/PHP Scripting and XML.
• Database Management and SQL.
• Integrated Development Environments such as Eclipse.
The Contractor shall provide consultancy for the mission performance of the current Ground Segments (MSG Ground Segment, the EPS Overall Ground System (‘OGS’), and Copernicus/Sentinel-3 Ground Segment), as well as their evolution, as well as to the future programmes. Main tasks will include:
• System operations in a real-time operations environment;
• End-to-end operations monitoring;
• User messaging systems configuration and operation;
• Configuration of event monitoring and end-to-end monitoring systems;
• Monitoring infrastructure configuration and operation;
• Multi-mission element and infrastructure operations;
• Mission Performance System Evolutions for existing and new programmes, in particular for EPS-SG and Jason-CS.
The consultancy comprises a range of tasks including the provision of consultancy for the routine operations of the LEO & GEO ground segments, as well as their evolution to include new programmes and system operations.
The Contractor will be responsible for the definition and/or maintenance of the routine operations procedures pertaining to mission performance operations and the interfaces of the key systems within the ground segment, in accordance with the established Client Operations Department configuration management and quality assurance practices.
As part of the operations evolution, the Contractor will be responsible for the re-design and evolution of the mission performance systems to support existing and new programmes.
The Contractor will acquire and maintain a System-wide view of the MSG System, the EPS CGS and OGS, and Copernicus/Sentinel-3, particularly in the areas of system end-to-end monitoring & control and data flows.
The Contractor will review any planned changes to the mission performance system configurations for LEO and GEO ground segments, and support the investigation of anomalies encountered through the routine system and ground segment operations.
The Contractor will provide consultancy for the development and operations preparation for recurrent satellites in existing operational programs (e.g. Metop-C and MSG-4), and for future operational programs currently in development (including Sentinel-3, MTG and EPSSG).
The key person will interface with project teams on the implementation of system upgrades to support major operations projects, including System Mid-Term Evolution Plan, recurrent satellites, and any System hardware and operating system obsolescence upgrade.
The Contractor shall perform the following routine operations tasks:
• Definition, configuration and maintenance of end-to-end monitoring and reporting systems;
• Definition and maintenance of system operations procedures, including system and ground segment procedures and operations guides;
• Liaison with the spacecraft operations team to ensure the continuity and optimisation of spacecraft monitoring and control activities;
• Liaison with the ground segment facility operations teams and system operations analysts to ensure the continuity and optimisation of ground segment and mission operations (through procedure and operations guide updates, configuration changes, database or user interface changes etc.);
• Support to the definition of Operations Service Specifications;
• Interface with the systems maintenance teams and industry representatives to ensure optimised performance, including participating in the definition and implementation of any changes to the mission performance systems;
• Provision of support to operational ground segment analyses;
• Provision of stand-by/on-call support as system operations engineer, on an “as needed” basis. This will be coordinated through the normal on-call process;
• Provision of support, as required, to critical operations;
• Processing of mission performance related system anomalies, their documentation, investigation, classification and resolution/mitigation, including participation in Anomaly Review Boards;
• Participation in technical meetings, formal reviews, and scheduling and planning meetings;
• Processing of system modifications, including their documentation, approval, and implementation, including participation in Change Review Boards;
• Support to, and participation in, the functional verification and operational validation of mission performance system upgrades and evolutions, both standalone and in the context of an overall ground segment;
• Liaison with various department and divisions within Client (CM, QA, Management, Product Experts, User Services);
• Provision of training, through written materials, practical demonstrations and presentations, to other members of the Operations Team.
The tasks assigned to the Contractor will be agreed through dedicated work-packages with clear identification of activities and outputs expected.
In the performance of these tasks, the Contractor shall apply the Client configuration and change control procedures as well as the relevant system engineering standards, quality management procedures and maintenance procedures.