Space Applications Services performs and supports system and software engineering for the European Space Agency (ESA), National Space Agencies and the aerospace industry. We are involved in international manned & unmanned spacecraft programmes, earth observation, science, exploration, communications and related technology development.
In the context of our growth, we are looking for a new colleague interested in working with us on a variety of complex projects and stimulated by our dynamism and international environment.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The candidate will join the Robotic Systems team (Technologies, Applications & Research Division, Systems Department), whose activities cover the complete development lifecycle in a range of robotics projects. He/she will report into the team leader.
The work assignation will initially relate to the design and manufacturing of complex robotic components for space robotics applications (planetary and in space), in challenging ESA and EC funded projects. These projects in particular include (1) a novel concept of Moon exploration rover for volatiles (water ice) detection, and (2) the space grade design of payload components for Sierra Nevada Corporation’s Dream Chaser. Tasks may involve:
- Analysing potential concepts and technologies for the mechanical structures to be designed, taking into account mission requirements.
- Carrying out trade-offs with rapid prototyping approaches for validation purpose.
- Carrying out end-to-end CAD modelling and preparing models for manufacturing.
- Supporting the end-to-end MAIT process for the designed components.
- Generating the technical documentation required all along the process.
The position is located in our offices in Brussels (Zaventem) and will involve limited international travel within Europe (and possibly US) for short-term collaboration projects.
Qualifications and Experience
- CAD engineer with 2 to 5 years of professional experience in space robotics applications.
- Outstanding proficiency with CAD tools (example: Solidworks) and proven track record with complex components and mechanisms design.
- Excellent understanding of materials, tolerances, supply chains and COTS procurement for space products.
- Hands-on experience with integration of complex assemblies.
- Proficiency with technical documents production.
- Good knowledge of space qualification process and constraints (and relevant ESA ECSS standards).
- Very good command of spoken and written English.
- French or Dutch speaking native is a plus.
What do we offer
- Working in a growing science and engineering company, with offices in Belgium, The Netherlands and The USA.
- A professional, pleasant atmosphere where autonomy and initiatives are encouraged and with various career growth opportunities.
- An interesting compensation package with relocation assistance, if applicable.
How to apply?
Please apply by filling in the online application form and uploading your CV and Motivation Letter (both in English on the “Careers” section of our website www.spaceapplications.com.
Head office in Zaventem
Space Applications services – Robotics, mechanisms & structures