Space Applications Services NV/SA is a dynamic international company with 30 years experience in performing and supporting system and software engineering for the European Space Agency (ESA), National Space Agencies and the aerospace industry.
We work on international manned & unmanned spacecraft programmes, earth observation, science, exploration, communications and related technology development.
We are looking for a:
Mechatronics and Control Engineer – Space robotics (M/F)
Tasks and Responsibilities
• The successful candidate will join the Robotics, Mechanisms & Structures Team (Technologies, Applications & Research Division, Systems Department), whose activities cover the complete development lifecycle in a range of robotics projects.
• The work assignation will initially deal with the development of control software components for complex robotic components related to space robotics applications (planetary and in space), in challenging ESA and/or EC funded projects. These projects in particular include (1) the development of a 7 dof force feedback exoskeleton user interface (for robotic telepresence) following essential space flight requirements and (2) the development of a standard interface for space robotics applications allowing mechanical, power and data connection between
Tasks may involve:
• Analyzing potential control strategies, carrying out trade-offs accounting for electronic boards options and taking
into account mission requirements.
• Developing hardware and software test setups to validate the suitability of control strategies.
• Supporting the end-to-end implementation, testing and optimization on target robot architecture.
• Generating the technical documentation required all along the process.
• The position is located in our offices in Brussels area and will involve limited international travel within Europe (and possibly USA) for short-term collaboration projects.
Qualifications and Experience
• Between 2 and 5 years of professional experience in space robotics applications is required.
• Proficency with control algorithms related to robotics manipulation, haptic and SLAM applications.
• Hands-on experience with robotics software developments and frameworks (ROS, OROCOS, Gazebo,…), realtime control and communication (CANOPEN, EtherCAT,…).
• Advanced programming skills in C++, Python.
• Hands-on experience with real integration of complex assemblies in robotics applications.
• Proficiency with technical documentations production.
• Good knowledge of space qualification process and constraits (and relevant ESA ECSS standards).
• Very good command of spoken and written English (French or Dutch speaking native is an asset).
Candidates will have the following skills:
• Flexible and capable to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to deal with multiple priorities and with a hands-on mentality.
• Good analytical skills, organised and the capacity to grasp new concepts quickly.
What Do We Offer?
• Working in a growing company, with offices located in Belgium, the Netherlands and the USA.
• A professional, pleasant atmosphere with motivated staff, where autonomy and initiatives are encouraged.
• An interesting remuneration package with a relocation allowance, if applicable.
• A full time employment position.
Preference will be given to candidates eligible to work in the European Union or in possession of a European Blue Card for two or more years.
We are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.
How To Apply?
• Click on the ‘’Apply’’ link next to this position on our website: careers.spaceapplications.com.
• Include your CV and Motivation Letter (both in English) and send to email@example.com.
For this position the contact person is Mr. Jeremi Gancet.
The application deadline is 15th November 2017.
Space Applications Services NV/SA
1932 Sint-Stevens-Woluwe (Brussels area), Belgium
Tel: +32 (0)2 721.54.84 - www.spaceapplications.com